tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

post-1579-0-13423900-1374587935_thumb.jp

Joseph Bodin de Boismortier - Serenades Francaises etc - Naxos

Nice bit in the sleeve notes - Boismortier was regarded as a bit too popular for the hoity-toity

In his Essay on Ancient and Modern Music of 1780 the celebrated theoretician Jean-Benjamin de La Borde gave a realistic portrait of the composer:

"Boismortier appeared at a time when only simple and easy music was in fashion. This competent musician took only too much advantage of this tendency and devised, for the many, airs and duets in great numbers which were performed on the flute, the violins, oboes, bagpipes and hurdy-gurdies…

He so abused the ingenuousness of his numerous buyers that, in the end, the following was said of him:

“Happy is hes Boismortier, whose fertile quill
Each month, without pain, conceives a new air at will.”

Boismortier, for lack of a better answer to his critics, would always answer: 'I am earning money'".

Now THAT'S a musician I can admire! The Sonny Stitt of his age.

MG

albumcoverLonneSmithThink.jpg

Lonnie Smith Think!

Liberty, gatefold, no vangelder

jos_bucket.jpg

Jimmy Smith, Bucket NYUSA, vangelder

1450358.jpg

George Adams, Danny Richmond, Hand To Hand, Black Saint, vinyl

the-beatles-sgt.-pepper-s-lonely-hearts-

Sgt Pepper, The Beatles, Australian Orange label (1969), UK -1-1, UK wide spine, gatefold mono cover with stereo sticker

120694111155.jpg

Abbey Road, The Beatles, Australian Stereo, (early 70's pressing), UK -2-1

• 2 weeks later...

Importcds. I trust they are legit in your eyes. If not I'll be upset that I didn't check with you first. I bought your two Von Freeman's (Have No Fear and Serenades and Blues), Warne Marsh and Eddie Johnson. Why it took me so long to order these I have no idea, but I'm looking forward to finally hearing them.

I will, but I know I'll love the music. In addition your commitment to not just the music but the musicians and their families comes through loud and clear in all the work you do as well as in your posts that I've read for years now.

I will share this though. When listening to various sound samples, our two dogs got a little agitated during those from Nonaah so I thought I better pass (for now). :-)

Edited to say this was in response to Chuck's last post. Forgot to use the "quote" feature.

Edited by TedR