tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Importcds.com is having a 10% off sale, so I ordered:

Mauricio Kagel, Sankt-Bach Passion
Charles Tyler, Saga Of The Outlaws

BTW, importcds is also running a promotion on Universal Music Group box sets, and I've found them a good source of Black Saint/Soul Note boxes, so the sale might be worth a look.

Wayne-Shorter-The-Soothsayer-513224.jpg

Another King first pressing with obi in top notch condition. Will be playing this over the weekend.

That is the definitive vinyl version of this LP. Other issues of this one (US) sound very 'tinny' and thin to my ears and so do the various CD issues.

Edited by sidewinder

Wayne-Shorter-The-Soothsayer-513224.jpg

Another King first pressing with obi in top notch condition. Will be playing this over the weekend.

That is the definitive vinyl version of this LP. Other issues of this one (US) sound very 'tinny' and thin to my ears and so do the various CD issues.

Not heard the King but the Music Matters edition is very good. Ditched my CD once I got the MM

Today's haul is all gospel

615x3ZuZlXL._SX355__PJautoripBadge,Botto

Inez Andrews - A sinner's prayer - Savoy - a 1980 recording that seems to have been resurrected on CD in 2004.

61BLcFfqXtL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Georgia Mass Choir - I still have a praise - Savoy - their latest album, from last year

MI0000277755.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Savannah Community Choir - It's alright now - Malaco - one from 1998 I've never heard of before finding it by accident.

MG

Whole bunch ordered for the Holiday including:

King Crimson: Road to Red - big splurge here - but this has always been the band for me in many ways. I was into the band long before I discovered jazz. And I think this incarnation of Crimson is unmatched. I even like the fact they are almost a heavy metal band by the time they got to the States in 1974

Ken Vandermark's Resonance Ensemble: the box from 2009 and the new 2 CD set

3 other Not Two releases including Dragonfly with Weasel Walter and Paul Flaherty in the quartet

Plus Spirits Rejoice from Louis Moholo which has been a long time coming

Gerald Cleaver's Black Host - I've seen the band live and they are great - and I'm hoping the CD is somewhat representative

• 3 weeks later...

Steve Lacy/Barry Wedgle/J.J. Avenel - Live From Lugano. I love the Lacy/Wedgle duo album Rendezvous, so I didn't think twice about buying this download-only album.

Love the duo album as well. Could you please say something about the music on this Lugano album? Thanks in advance!

Steve Lacy/Barry Wedgle/J.J. Avenel - Live From Lugano. I love the Lacy/Wedgle duo album Rendezvous, so I didn't think twice about buying this download-only album.

Love the duo album as well. Could you please say something about the music on this Lugano album? Thanks in advance!

First, the sound is about the level of a decent bootleg. I get the impression that Wedgle recorded the gig. The instruments are fairly cleanly recorded, but the bass is pretty far down in the mix (as is the saxophone on "Cliches"), and there's prominent tape hiss. And there's some weird editing - the track Wedgle calls "Slumber" is missing the beginning, but the melody at the end is Lacy's "Flakes." Or maybe they were using "Flakes" as a kind of theme, because it also shows up at the end of "Aloud."

But it's an exciting performance. Mr. Lacy is in excellent form, and Wedgle is wilder and less restrained than on the duo album. If you like these musicians, it's like having a good bootleg recording of them - excellent music with a rough presentation.

Ken Vandermark's Resonance Ensemble: the box from 2009 and the new 2 CD set

Plus Spirits Rejoice from Louis Moholo which has been a long time coming

Looking forward to the 2xCD. I'd love to get the box at some point, but it's just so expensive. But a truly incredible group.

I picked up Spirits Rejoice from a board member a couple months ago. As I'm sure you know, you're in for a good one. Evan Parker has a seriously ripping solo on the opening track.

Tonight Ebay score:

310829721994_1.jpg171119043041_1.jpg161188687392_1.jpg151201916964_1.jpg

Bill Crow Quartet Jazz Anecdotes - Japan Venus Original Audiophile

Harry Babasin Quintet on Nocturne - Japan LP NM

LEE KONITZ / PLAYS / RARE FRENCH JAZZ JAPAN PRESS LP

BOB BROOKMEYER QUINTET / RED MITCHELL / RARE FRENCH JAZZ JAPAN PRESS LP
Edited by tomatamot

91Lpq%2By4XfL._SL1500_.jpg

I wandered into one of my favorite brick-and-mortar stores today, just to hang out for a few minutes - not intending to buy anything. As I was leaving, I saw, in the used LP section, the Numero six-LP, four-CD Syl Johnson box The Complete Mythology. I couldn't resist; I knew that I would never see it at that price again. The Magnificent Goldberg had told me that if I ever found a copy of Is It Because I'm Black (included in this box) at a reasonable price I should snatch it up - I believe he called it the best soul album ever. I never got one, because every decent copy I found cost as much or more than I paid for this entire set. I'm listening to the first LP, Johnson's 1959-62 Federal recordings, and I'm a happy boy.