What music did you buy today?

tonym

Fathers day here so as a treat the family took me to a music store and let me spend $60 NZD. I picked up:

Charles Mingus - Mingus Moves (excellent! far exceeded my expectations).

Tony Fruscella - Tony Fruscella (only skimmed through it but also a keeper).

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers with Thelonious Monk (mono Warner/EU 1000Y version... sounds infinitely better than my old CD with the insane panning).

Miles Davis - The Bootleg Series Vol 1 (i only had the single disc 'best of' edition previously as that was what was available in stores here, and i figured they'd eventually get around to releasing the 3 disc edition, but they never did, and i could never be bothered ordering it, but finally it's here!)

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles Mingus - Mingus Moves (excellent! far exceeded my expectations).

A ridiculously under-rated session IMO. Every reviewer/critic seems to slag if off !

I definitely had significant trepidations, not least of all because i've had my ups and downs with Adams and Pullen. But man, Mingus Moves is strong. All i'll say is that i made the right call in picking this over the David Sanborn album that i was tempted to get (came home and found it on Spotify = dodged that bullet!)

alhibbler370732.jpg

Was looking for this for decades ... got a copy from Paris Jazz Corner offered through GEMM.com. There are samples on Youtube, for those who are curious - I won't listen to them 'cause I don't wanna spoil the fun of the first spin at home.

Wasn't there a "What vinyl did you buy today" thread? If not, there sshould be one in the vinyl forum.

Jimmy Lynch — Tramp Time Volume 1 – That Funky Tramp In A Nite Club

Dick Gregory — East & West

Shecky Greene — A Funny Thing Happened To Me On The Way To The Moon

Godfrey Cambridge — Them Cotton Pickin' Days Is Over – Recorded Live At The Hungry I

Mike Nichols & Elaine May — An Evening With Mike Nichols & Elaine May

Mike Nichols & Elaine May — Improvisations To Music

Orson Bean — I Ate The Baloney

Birthday is next weekend and I was visiting Mom in Naples, FL and asked that in lieu of a gift she fund a vinyl safari to the only two record stores that looked decent: Record Trader and Echo Vintage Books and Vinyl, both in Fort Myers. Came away with:

Montreux Blues Festival (Excello) - Lightnin' Slim, Whispering Smith, Jimmy Dawkins are on almost all of the tracks

Guitar In My Hands Volume 2 (Moonshine) - all Texas bluesmen, I am guessing I have the Gatemouth tracks but the others should be new

Goin to Chicago (Testament) - JB Hutto, Sam Lay, Floyd Jones - EddieTaylor, Billy Boy Arnold - I fear I may have these tracks elsewhere but what the hey.

Ray Charles Live In Concert (ABC) - probably should have considered the likelihood that its available on CD but another what the heck purchase

Oscar Peterson - Gerald Wiggins - Sessions, Live

Best of all I still have $75 left for my south Florida vinyl safari next weekend at Record Rack and RadioActive records.

My CD of the Ray Charles live doesn't have any bonus tracks. I reckon one's as well of with the vinyl as the CD, except for having to get up and turn it over.

Nice buys, Dan.

MG

Thanks MG but per Amazon, Concord issued an expanded version in 2011 with six more tracks. And there are new copies under $6 through the Marketplace. Way less than what I paid for the LP. :blush:

My CD of the Ray Charles live doesn't have any bonus tracks. I reckon one's as well of with the vinyl as the CD, except for having to get up and turn it over.

Nice buys, Dan.

MG

Thanks MG but per Amazon, Concord issued an expanded version in 2011 with six more tracks. And there are new copies under $6 through the Marketplace. Way less than what I paid for the LP. :blush:

Hell, I'd better get that one.

I assume it's this that you're talking about

41badpTDsKL.jpg

Which I found here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-In-Concert-Ray-Charles/dp/B0041KVJZK/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1410201368&sr=8-36&keywords=ray+charles+live

Reviews say the sound isn't as good on the new stuff as on the original album tracks; that seems to be a drag. This is what someone says -

The only downside to the concert is that there are some somewhat audible differences between the original LP selections and the previously unreleased tracks, including a rather obvious crossfade about 3/4 of the way through the running time. I've seen this audio anomaly mentioned elsewhere, but it most likely won't affect listening for most.

Not sure I'll bother. If someone else has this, comment would be good.

MG

On Sunday I had my 2014 trip to the Princeton Record Exchange. I bought a bunch of stuff, including the Bob Brookmeyer Mosaic Select for $40.

Also got Duke Ellington "Unknown Session" plus a bunch of lower priced CDs for about $4 each, including:

Pete Christlieb - Conversations With Warne, Vol. 2

Eddie Condon / Bud Freeman - Jammin' at Commodore
Eddie Condon - World Broadcasting Jam Sessions 1944
Dexter Gordon - Backstairs
Coleman Hawkins - At The Golden Circle 1963
Daniel Humair - Sweet & Sour
Ingrid Jensen - Here on Earth
Henk de Jonge Trio - Jumping Shark
Herb Robertson - The Legend of the Missing Link
Art Pepper Quartet - Val's Pal
Hugh Ragin - Feel The Sunshine
Hal Russell NRG Ensemble - The Finnish/Swiss Tour
Ted Sirota / Rebel Souls - Breeding Resistance
Jason Stein - The Story This Time
Gebhard Ullman - Essencia
Edited by alankin

Evan Parker- Sebastian Lexer - Eddie Prevost: Tri-Borough Tryptych

Evan Parker with Derek Bailey & Han Bennink: Topography of the Lungs

Parker, Yoshihide, Butcher, Edwards, Marsh: Live @ Cafe Oto

The Oto disc is nice though the track listing switches the Quintet and the Sextet. I also want to hear the Matchless date.

I bought Joe Maneri/Peter Dolger - Peace Concert

Evan Parker- Sebastian Lexer - Eddie Prevost: Tri-Borough Tryptych

Evan Parker with Derek Bailey & Han Bennink: Topography of the Lungs

Parker, Yoshihide, Butcher, Edwards, Marsh: Live @ Cafe Oto

The Oto disc is nice though the track listing switches the Quintet and the Sextet. I also want to hear the Matchless date.

I bought Joe Maneri/Peter Dolger - Peace Concert

Plus Sachiko M is on that date. Thanks - I thought I heard two saxophones on the "quintet" piece.

Birthday is next weekend and I was visiting Mom in Naples, FL and asked that in lieu of a gift she fund a vinyl safari to the only two record stores that looked decent: Record Trader and Echo Vintage Books and Vinyl, both in Fort Myers. Came away with:

Montreux Blues Festival (Excello) - Lightnin' Slim, Whispering Smith, Jimmy Dawkins are on almost all of the tracks

Guitar In My Hands Volume 2 (Moonshine) - all Texas bluesmen, I am guessing I have the Gatemouth tracks but the others should be new

Goin to Chicago (Testament) - JB Hutto, Sam Lay, Floyd Jones - EddieTaylor, Billy Boy Arnold - I fear I may have these tracks elsewhere but what the hey.

Ray Charles Live In Concert (ABC) - probably should have considered the likelihood that its available on CD but another what the heck purchase

Oscar Peterson - Gerald Wiggins - Sessions, Live

Best of all I still have $75 left for my south Florida vinyl safari next weekend at Record Rack and RadioActive records.

So today I never made it to Record Rack, for just under $73 I walked out of RadioActive records with (in order of mounting excitement)

Scott Hamilton/Warren Vache, Skyscrapers (Concord)

John Bunch, John's Other Bunch (Famous Door) - with Scott and Warren in the front line, should make a nice two-fer CDR

Presenting Harold Ashby (Progressive)

Buddy Tate - Harry Edison, Our Bag (Riff) - a 1975 live date in Holland

Plas Johnson, Bop Me Daddy (Tampa)

Mickey Tucker, Sojourn (Xanadu) - with Bill Hardman, Junior Cook and Ronnie Cuber front line

Arnett Cobb is Back (Progressive)

Johnny Griffin, You Leave Me Breathless (Black Lion) - with Kenny Drew at Montmartre, I was sure I had this but was surprised when I only found other Montmartre recordings in the binder

Billy Mitchell Live, Now's The Time (Catalyst) - seems like this one may be pretty darn rare, a 1975 show at a club on Long Island, seems pretty cool to snag

And in addition to being a pretty nice take, I had the smarts not to go for an Affinity repackaging of the Frank Strozier-Booker Little Vee Jay record, nor Junior Mance, Truckin' and Trackin (Beehive)

I'm just not so sure on the two records I left behind:

Jackie Mclean, Tune Up (Steeplechase, from the Left Bank with Lamont Johnson on piano - I got less interested in Jackie Mac as the 60s went on but I have to admit what I heard at the listening station wasn't bad)

Memphis Slim, Born With the Blues - a new vinyl reissue, what caught my eye was that Lowell Fulson plays guitar on this. Still $20 seemed high to me.

Any thoughts about the two I left behind?

It's not even my birthday yet and I think I've done gooood. Thanks Mom (and Universal Property & Casualty for the $25 gift card)!

Edited by Dan Gould