What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

satokofujii_timestandsstill_js.jpg

I don't know Fujii, but this one has come well-recommended on this board, so I'm excited to hear it.

I saw Fujii in a trio the other night at Pathhead ( a small village outside Edinburgh. Tom Bancroft (drums ) lead the completely improvised set . It was a stunning concert that really defies description. I felt truly privileged . I ended up buying 4 discs featuring her or her husband ( trumpeter Natsuki Tamura ) I think her Ma- do quartet is possibly her best group.

I don't know Fujii, but this one has come well-recommended on this board, so I'm excited to hear it.

I saw Fujii in a trio the other night at Pathhead ( a small village outside Edinburgh. Tom Bancroft (drums ) lead the completely improvised set . It was a stunning concert that really defies description. I felt truly privileged . I ended up buying 4 discs featuring her or her husband ( trumpeter Natsuki Tamura ) I think her Ma- do quartet is possibly her best group.

I am promising myself to get this recording.

Plus I love the cover.

Plus I love the cover.

What is that on the cover? Is it a sculpture made of cheese?

Plus I love the cover.

What is that on the cover? Is it a sculpture made of cheese?

Ceramic art?

Not today, but last Monday:

Gary McFarland 'Profiles'

PIMP_A9112S__45501__01152009121716-7891.

Dave Mackay / Vicky Hamilton 'Rainbow'. I never really knew there was a follow-up to their first LP on Impulse, which I've always liked for what it is, inobtrusive late 60s pop-jazz with a feeling. In some respects 'Raibow' is the more interesting, in that it is more jazzy and sometimes more experimental. I'm now listening to it for the first time. Apart from Mackay on piano it has Ira Schulman on flutes and saxophones, Joe Pass on guitar and a rhythm section consisting of Chuck Domanico and Colin Bailey.

D00001240.jpg

Went to a brick and mortar shop since ages yesterday. Seem to have a love/hate relationship with them, as they never have something that's on my actual wishlist (which is very big), but you can stumble across some great albums you didn't even know you really wanted before entering the store.

Ornette Coleman - To Whon Who Keeps a Record [Atlantic]

MI0000682196.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Paul Bley - Ramblin' [Actuel]

MI0002543355.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Charles Mingus Sextet (with Eric Dolphy) - Cornell 1964 (Blue Note)

MI0001489141.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

And today I ordered my September "online" batch. Nice mixture of some old and some new I think:

The Convergence Quartet - Slow and Steady (2013, NoBusiness)

MI0003566959.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Craig Taborn Trio - Chants (2013, ECM)

MI0003500522.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Fred Anderson - Blue Winter (2005, Eremite)

MI0000493592.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Fred Anderson - Timeless (2006, Delmark)

MI0000753189.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Darius Jones - Man-ish Boy (A Raw and Beautifull Thing) (2008, AUM Fidelity)

MI0001669024.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Mal Waldron - The Quest (1961, New Jazz)

front.jpg

@Colinmce and Steve Reynolds, I have to say that lately I just feel like a kid in a candy store music wise. Since a year or so, my horizon has expanded to so much more (to me) new music, that in the coming times/years I can spend my budget purely to "essential" albums on my wish list I think.

And I have to be honest, this expansion has to be largely credited to this forum. There's so much knowledge and recommendations shared in current topics, but also in the "vaults" of the forum, that my wishlist is just excessively growing with every month.

Plus I love the cover.

I hear good, even great things, about Satoko Fuji, but it is going to take me a while to get over her disastrous Vision Fest appearance. Maybe her husband can take some of the blame for that, but it was still her gig. One of the big disappointments for me. Perhaps she comes across better on disc.

Broke the piggy bank today and ordered:

1) Badenhorst, Joachim / John Butcher / Paul Lytton: Nachtigall

2) Decoy with Joe Mcphee: Spontaneous Combustion [2 CDs] (have the LP but need the additional minutes)

3) Mitchell, Roscoe / Mike Reed: In Pursuit of Magic

4) Nilssen-Love, Paal Large Unit: Erta Ale [3 CD BOX SET]

I saw Fujii in a trio the other night at Pathhead ( a small village outside Edinburgh. Tom Bancroft (drums ) lead the completely improvised set . It was a stunning concert that really defies description. I felt truly privileged . I ended up buying 4 discs featuring her or her husband ( trumpeter Natsuki Tamura ) I think her Ma- do quartet is possibly her best group. I am promising myself to get this recording.

Plus I love the cover.

I hear good, even great things, about Satoko Fuji, but it is going to take me a while to get over her disastrous Vision Fest appearance. Maybe her husband can take some of the blame for that, but it was still her gig. One of the big disappointments for me. Perhaps she comes across better on disc.

2) Decoy with Joe Mcphee: Spontaneous Combustion [2 CDs] (have the LP but need the additional minutes)

1) and 4) sound intriguing. Would love to hear your thoughts down the road

2) is a given as the first live recording by Decoy & McPhee has some passages that really explode with McPhee playing as fierce a tenor saxophone as I've heard from him for some time.

I expect more and better with a 2 CD set

Plus I love the cover.

1) and 4) sound intriguing. Would love to hear your thoughts down the road

2) is a given as the first live recording by Decoy & McPhee has some passages that really explode with McPhee playing as fierce a tenor saxophone as I've heard from him for some time.

I expect more and better with a 2 CD set

Similar thoughts here, Steve

1) has been on my 'to buy' list for ages. I've a couple of Badenhorst's solo releases that I enjoy.

3) Everything I've heard with Mike Reed on drums has been good and the one opportunity to hear him live certainly didn't disappoint so the duet with RM intrigues.

4) As for the PNL - it's interesting that he should form a large unit after his work with Brotzmann and Gjerstad's. From little I've read about it he's got a new generation of players on board which is good.

and Decoy? well it is Decoy

nice haul, worth sacrificing the piggy bank for I'd say (just surprised Moran's 'All Rise' isn't in there :))

Steve, you skipped #3 :);) .

mjazzg, you know I wanted it but budget and all that ^_^ . I'm waiting for his next "collaboration" - who can it be? Brotzmann? Evan Parker? I'll hold out for that. :)

Not a huge fan of drum duets with saxophonists unless they are Evan Parker & Eddie Prevost or Paul Lytton or John Stevens

Seriously it isn't my favorite set-up

I like a third wheel to amp up the interplay and energy level

I'd like to hear Roscoe with Mark Sanders!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Having realised they were limited - the two Audio One releases "The Midwest School" and "An International Report" from Vandermark and cohorts.

Also, Scorch Trio & Mars Williams - Made in Norway [Rune Gramofon]- wanted some more Williams and thought this could be a winning combination