What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if the Bud Roost recordings on Japanese LP are speed corrected?

The track times on these two Japanese LPs correspond closely to the times of the FLAC tracks from the BN box I have on my hard drive, unlike the Japanese CD I own.

Japanese LP 1

Japanese LP 2

The Japanese CD from 2006 is also too loud for my taste. It highlights the deficiencies of the original recording.

Received my copy of Bud Powell Trio (TOCJ-50040) today. It's hard for me to differentiate as the mastering is clearly louder which can be confused for higher pitched, but i believe that it hasn't been pitch corrected. There's not a huge difference though (to my ears, musicians and/or people with perfect pitch may beg to differ). For your listening pleasure, i've uploaded a back to back comparison. The version from the BN/Roost box starts at approximately 2:47.

EDIT: I've now deleted the video from Youtube.

Edited by xybert

texas-thunder-soul-1968-1974-2cd-dvd-box

Kashmere Stage Band - Texas Thunder Soul: 1968-1974 [Deluxe Edition, 2-CD/1 DVD]

Has anyone purchased anything from Disc-O-Rama Overstock.com? I've never heard of them before but I discovered they were selling this for $10.99. When I put it in my cart, I noticed that they applied a $5 discount and the shipping was free so I only paid $5.99. (It was listed as new, factory sealed.) That's a pretty nice deal! I hope they're a dependable seller and that this pans out.

Edited by mikelz777

Brian Lynch is having a sale on his Hollistic MusicWorks site, with CDs 50% off and downloads very reasonably priced. I purchased:

a2758826340_2.jpga2229132003_2.jpga2185753226_2.jpg

The Questioned Answer album features Emmet Cohen, Boris Kozlov and Billy Hart, while the download album of extra tracks has Lynch and Cohen performing as a duo. The Combinations: Live at the Jazz Estate album is a collaboration between Lynch and a group based in his hometown of Milwaukee. I'm excited to hear all of it.

Edited by Justin V

41fj0pSc-mL._SS280.jpg

Sonny Rollins - The Solo Album

jcam, let me know how you go with that one if you get a chance. Have come close to picking it up a couple of times but it gets mixed reviews. A solo Sonny disc is mighty tempting.

According to the board it's a dud, dude.

41fj0pSc-mL._SS280.jpg

jcam, let me know how you go with that one if you get a chance. Have come close to picking it up a couple of times but it gets mixed reviews. A solo Sonny disc is mighty tempting.

Like most things there are easy ways to pre-listen rather than punt - though punting is fun...

http://youtu.be/_PwVBEcUUzk

41fj0pSc-mL._SS280.jpg

Like most things there are easy ways to pre-listen rather than punt - though punting is fun...

http://youtu.be/_PwVBEcUUzk

I listened to the album on YouTube (again) last night (not all the way through), and I agree it's bad. If Sonny is that critical of his own playing, what was he thinking releasing this? Not that most of his other Milestone albums do not contain a lot of crap.

41fj0pSc-mL._SS280.jpg

Will let you know my impressions when it arrives. I didn't realize the album was so poorly regarded. Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I understand that Youtube has the ability to provide a preview, but to me that kills the joy of discovery.

41fj0pSc-mL._SS280.jpg

I have listened to it twice and find it to be excellent. I think if you play you will find it awe-inspiring. I know critics gave the impression that this was nothing more than a practice session, but i would give a leg to have a practice session flow so easily. I find it interesting because it shows his ability to associate ideas, and in such a different and more melodic manner than most solo woodwind albums. My favorite solo woodwind of all-time is Vinny Golia - Clarinet but for far different reasons than this one.

41fj0pSc-mL._SS280.jpg

I have listened to it twice and find it to be excellent. I think if you play you will find it awe-inspiring. I know critics gave the impression that this was nothing more than a practice session, but i would give a leg to have a practice session flow so easily. I find it interesting because it shows his ability to associate ideas, and in such a different and more melodic manner than most solo woodwind albums. My favorite solo woodwind of all-time is Vinny Golia - Clarinet but for far different reasons than this one.

Cheers man. I'm not going to rush out and get it at this stage but i'll keep it in mind next time i do an order. I still really want to explore the Milestone years in more depth. I know there's the Silver City double disc but, you know, i want the full albums for better or worse. Really wish they'd put out a budget-ish box set along the lines of the recent Universal Italy ones.

41fj0pSc-mL._SS280.jpg

Cheers man. I'm not going to rush out and get it at this stage but i'll keep it in mind next time i do an order. I still really want to explore the Milestone years in more depth. I know there's the Silver City double disc but, you know, i want the full albums for better or worse. Really wish they'd put out a budget-ish box set along the lines of the recent Universal Italy ones.

I agree it would be nice to have a box set of this era, though what I've heard is a mixed bag. I got this disc for a song. It cost more than 12x's the disc for shipping.