The Fish - Moon Fish [2012, Clean Feed]
R-3703769-1418996879-5178.jpeg.jpg

Double-Basse - This is Not Art [2015, Clean Feed]
R-7085985-1433374822-4617.jpeg.jpg

Deux Maisons - For Sale [2015, Clean Feed]
R-7080039-1433238490-4501.jpeg.jpg

The Turbine! - Entropy/Enthalpy [2015, Rogue Art]
R-7179453-1435507971-7630.jpeg.jpg

Matthew Shipp Quartet Declared Enemy - Our Lady of the Flowers [2015, Rogue Art]
R-7180294-1435523288-3225.jpeg.jpg

as usual Niels there's lots of tasty looking music in that haul. I'll be particularly interested to hear your impressions of the Shofar and Double-Basse releases

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I must say I'm most intrigued by the Shofar release too. It will be my first album from them, and the music/soundclips I heard so far really impressed me emotionally. There's just something in many of those Klezmer/East European Folk songs that I find irresistible.

Furthermore I'm very intrigued by the The Turbine! release, as it combines some of my favorite US and European musicians, and with a focus on rhythm I can't see how I will not love this record.

Rez Abbasi Acoustic Quartet - Intents & Purposes
Paquito D'Rivera - Funk Tango
Danny Grissett - Promise
Antonio Sanchez - Live In New York
David Hazeltime - Inversions
Eric Alexander - In Europe
Guillermo Klein - Domador de Huellas
Jerry Gonzalez and Fort Apache Band - Earth Dance
Manuel Valera Trio - Live at Firehouse 12
Magos Herrera - Distancia
Ryan Kisor - The Dream
Ryan Kisor - Power Source
Barry Harris - Barry Harris Plays Tadd Dameron
Stéphane Grappelli - Live In London
Stéphane Grappelli - Live In San Francisco
Edward Simon - Unicity
Aaron Goldberg - The Now

Sun Ra - The Complete BS/SN Recordings CamJazz box

I intended to get this when it came out, but i was short on cash at the time and my enthusiasm kind of waned. Flash forward to a few weeks ago, and i'm at home watching Stripes. There's a line in there where Bill Murray's soon to be ex-girlfriend hassles him for staying up late and listening to Tito Puente records (or something like that). The mention of Tito Puente kind of planted a seed i guess. Recently i didn't really know what i felt like listening to. Didn't feel like listening to anything Boppy (Be/Hard/Free/Post or otherwise), burnt out on Fusion, burnt out on Steve Coleman/Steve Lehman/Liberty Ellman type stuff. Also burnt out on kind of overly earnest, polished kind of proggy stuff with ethereal touches (latest from Antonio Sanchez and Chris Dingman). Just feeling a bit burnt out in general i guess. I thought of Puente and started looking for albums to get. I spent quite a bit of time on Spotify checking stuff out, and on a limited budget i was, foolish as it is, trying to find that one album that was 'the complete package'. Long story short surprise surprise i couldn't find one (i had a lot of fun listening and exploring, though). I wanted something a bit less intense and non stop bombarding than the majority of the Puente i heard, almost like somewhere between Cal Tjader and Puente or something. I'm sure it's out there but i moved on. I started checking out some Exotica stuff thinking that might be the ticket. Nothing was scratching the itch. Looking through my saved albums in Spotify i came across the BS/SN Sun Ras and it was just like a total 'aaaaah' moment. Found the box online for a reasonable price, and the rest is history. Anyway, a bit of a fun journey. Better stop procrastinating and do some work now.

CDSOL-6333 Louis Hayes / ICHI-BAN [Low-priced Edition]
  CDA 1000yen  Released: June 17, 2015

CDSOL-6359 Woody Shaw / Woody Shaw With Tone Jansa Quartet [Low-priced Edition]
  CDA 1000yen  Released: June 17, 2015

POCS-9302 Kalaparusha / S.T. [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [SHM-CD] [Limited Release]
  CDA 2315yen  Released: November 05, 2014

Lars Gullin - Lars Gullin Swings (East-West)

R-7053651-1432620642-7706.jpeg.jpg

Tony Fruscella - Tony Fruscella (Atlantic)

R-2938306-1309088134.jpeg.jpg

Phineas Newborn - Here is (Atlantic)

R-2474126-1286038812.jpeg.jpg

All of those available at FOPP for £3 each, for anyone in London..

Bought them for 5 euros at the Corte Inglés in Oviedo over the past weekend.

the latest Joshua Abrams on Eremite along with some Feldman,Cage and Browne from the Squidco Hat sale

I'm interested in your thoughts on the Joshua Abrams record. The record looks very appealing to me, but I'm kinda reluctant because of the high price of the record.

the latest Joshua Abrams on Eremite along with some Feldman,Cage and Browne from the Squidco Hat sale

I'm interested in your thoughts on the Joshua Abrams record. The record looks very appealing to me, but I'm kinda reluctant because of the high price of the record.

Not cheap. I purchased from US and will hope it doesn't get stopped for customs charges - always a lottery

I bought Cage - Sonata & Interlude, Feldman - For Bunita Marcus, and Polwechsel - Field & Traces of Wood.  Also took advantage and got some erstwhile titles last week.  It's going to be hard not to place an order every week!

Lars Gullin - Lars Gullin Swings (East-West)

R-7053651-1432620642-7706.jpeg.jpg

Tony Fruscella - Tony Fruscella (Atlantic)

R-2938306-1309088134.jpeg.jpg

Phineas Newborn - Here is (Atlantic)

R-2474126-1286038812.jpeg.jpg

All of those available at FOPP for £3 each, for anyone in London..

Bought them for 5 euros at the Corte Inglés in Oviedo over the past weekend.

Bought from FOPP in this series - Charles Lloyd 'In The Soviet Union' and 'Sound Track' plus Chico Hamilton 'A Different Drummer'.