What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Francois Carrier, Michel Lambert, Rafal Mazur - Unknowable [2015, Not Two]
Carrier and Lambert where on my radar for some time now, and seeing that they have a new record out on Not Two (which means great sound quality) with Rafal Mazur seems a good way to get acquainted with them.

MW928.jpg

Chamber 4 - s/t [2015,FMR]
I think my favorite album from recent months is the "For Sale" album from Deux Maisons on Clean Feed, so I was highly enthusiastic when I saw this morning that three of the members (Luis Vicente, Theo Ceccaldi, Valentin Ceccaldi) released another record on FMR together with Marcelo dos Reis.  

R-7296174-1438257679-7002.jpeg.jpg

Just returned from Chicago with 3 new releases sourced from the artists -

Nicole Mitchell / Tomeka Reid / Mike Reed "Artifacts" 482 Music

Mike Reed's People Places & Things "A New Kind of Dance" 482 Music

Josh Berman Trio "A Dance and a Hop"  Delmark

I guess you had to be there.

None of those seem to actually be released yet.

Happy to place an order today which included:

Ken Vandermark Territory Band 6: Collide - with Fred Anderson

John Butcher Trio: Way Out Northwest

Roscoe Mitchell: Celebrating Fred Anderson

Barry Guy New Orchestra: Inscape/Tableau - to replace a long lost copy - desert island recording for me

Conference Call: Seven/Live at The Firehouse - I've been loving the earlier 2 CD set - Michael Jefry Stevens finally hit the spot for me after many years of never "hearing" him - on not two records so I'm sure the sound/production is first rate

Italian Instabile Orchestra - again trying to order the London Hymns concert - last time it didn't ship

also Totally Gone and the 94-97 Live disc from the great Italian Instabile. 

On their way:

Garner — Complete “Concert By the Sea”

Christoph Bernhard — Geistliche Harmonien 1665, Herman Max (CPO)

Bernhard was a Heinrich Schutz disciple with his own voice. I have a 2-disc set of of Bernhard's complete Geistliche Harmonien (sacred concerti), but it has some less than top-flight singers (the works are very demanding in terms of range); this one disc selection comes highly recommended. 

Alexander Goehr — Since Brass, nor Stone…, Nash Ensemble (NMC)

Resonance Ensemble Double Arc on Not Two

Allmost ordered this one also today, but but it just didn't make it in the end (wasn't to sure about the use of electronics on this one).
The records that did make it:

Benjamin Duboc & Alexandra Grimal - Le Retour D'Ulysse (Promenade) [2015, Improvised Beings]
R-6606032-1422960138-1757.jpeg.jpg

Tetterapadequ - Chlopingle [2015, Creative Sources]
Giovanni Di Domenico, Daniele Martini, João Lobo, Gonçalo Almeida

R-6584862-1422537115-3146.jpeg.jpg

RED Trio + John Butcher - Empire [2011, NoBusiness / vinyl]

NBLP37.jpg

David S Ware - Planetary Unknown: Live at Jazzfestival Saalfelden 2011 [2012, AUM Fidelity]

R-3767056-1352809898-9141.jpeg.jpg

Allmost ordered this one also today, but but it just didn't make it in the end (wasn't to sure about the use of electronics on this one).

Benjamin Duboc & Alexandra Grimal - Le Retour D'Ulysse (Promenade) [2015, Improvised Beings]

NBLP37.jpg

David S Ware - Planetary Unknown: Live at Jazzfestival Saalfelden 2011 [2012, AUM Fidelity]

I would embrace the inclusion of Christof Kurzmann on Double Arc. Vandermark has been very successful in incorporating electronics within his music in the past and he selects exceptional masters of the form and he does so again with the great improvisor/sonic mastermind, Kurzmann.

ill be getting the recording but then again, I've become a huge aficionado of Ken's large groups - I've been more interested in his large scale works recently than I ever have been in the past. 

The last Resonance double disc set is pretty damn great, IMO.

NBLP37.jpg

I would embrace the inclusion of Christof Kurzmann on Double Arc. Vandermark has been very successful in incorporating electronics within his music in the past and he selects exceptional masters of the form and he does so again with the great improvisor/sonic mastermind, Kurzmann.

ill be getting the recording but then again, I've become a huge aficionado of Ken's large groups - I've been more interested in his large scale works recently than I ever have been in the past. 

I think I just may need to hear some soundclips from the album before I pull the trigger.

When I want to hear electronics in music, I normally rather just listen to techno/elektro/idm, than have it incorporated in Jazz. I can't really think of one album where electronics really "made" the album for me (although I have to say I was rather enthusiastic about Peter Evans' Ghosts album from a few years back). Besides that, large groups are a little "hit and miss" with me. From the Resonance ensemble I only have Kafka in Flight which I like, but don't regard as essential stuff.  All that being said, the Resonance Ensemble sure has a mouth watering group of players, so I would really like to give them a second chance.

NBLP37.jpg

I think I just may need to hear some soundclips from the album before I pull the trigger.

When I want to hear electronics in music, I normally rather just listen to techno/elektro/idm, than have it incorporated in Jazz. I can't really think of one album where electronics really "made" the album for me (although I have to say I was rather enthusiastic about Peter Evans' Ghosts album from a few years back). Besides that, large groups are a little "hit and miss" with me. From the Resonance ensemble I only have Kafka in Flight which I like, but don't regard as essential stuff.  All that being said, the Resonance Ensemble sure has a mouth watering group of players, so I would really like to give them a second chance.

You should absolutely grab the RE disc What Country Is This? It's amazing, and better than Kafka.  I ordered Double Arc but won't have it for about a month.

Well, from the 'wife is going to kill me but i've got to get my fix' file, some recent purchases:

Mal Waldron - Mal-4

Al Haig Trio (Esoteric)

Erroll Garner - The Complete Concert by the Sea

Eddie Costa - The House of Blue Lights

Duke Pearson - Profile

Duke Jordan Trio

Here Comes Earl 'Fatha' Hines

Denny Zeitlin - Cathexis

Bill Evans - Trio 64, Trio 65, Empathy + A Simple Matter of Conviction twofer, Bill Evans at Town Hall. At the Montreux Jazz Festival and The Bill Evans Album (Columbia).

A  bunch of classical stuff for $1 each at a local library sale:

Bartok Cons. 1&2 with Kocsis and Ivan Fischer, coupled with Rhapsody for Piano and Orch. and Music for Strings, Percussion etc.

Pfitzner's "Palestrina," cond. Kubelik (have it on LP but thought I'd see if remastering improved things).

Two discs of Mackerras' Delius (he was good with Delius, based on a previous CD I have of his).

Horowitz's Schubert D. 960 and Schumann Kinderszenen

David Diamond's Sym. No. 1 and other works

Milstein's DG Bach Sonatas and Partitas (like I don't already have enough other recordings of these works)

Some of Blomstedt's Nielsen symphonies and his Hindemith disc with "Mathis der Mahler"  

Mozart's "Thamos" -- Harnoncourt

Shostakovich's Michelangelo Verses -- Ashkenazy, Fischer-Dieskau

Prokofiev Piano Concertos 1-5 -- Krainev, Kitaenko

So far have listened to Horowitz's Schubert, quite mannered in spots but also enlightening, the beginning of Fischer's MSPC, which seemed superb, and one of the DSH Michelangelo songs, which confirmed my impression that late D F-D, up until it became too late for him, is more to my taste than most D F-D.

A  bunch of classical stuff for $1 each at a local library sale:

Bartok Cons. 1&2 with Kocsis and Ivan Fischer, coupled with Rhapsody for Piano and Orch. and Music for Strings, Percussion etc.

Pfitzner's "Palestrina," cond. Kubelik (have it on LP but thought I'd see if remastering improved things).

Two discs of Mackerras' Delius (he was good with Delius, based on a previous CD I have of his).

Horowitz's Schubert D. 960 and Schumann Kinderszenen

David Diamond's Sym. No. 1 and other works

Milstein's DG Bach Sonatas and Partitas (like I don't already have enough other recordings of these works)

Some of Blomstedt's Nielsen symphonies and his Hindemith disc with "Mathis der Mahler"  

Mozart's "Thamos" -- Harnoncourt

Shostakovich's Michelangelo Verses -- Ashkenazy, Fischer-Dieskau

Prokofiev Piano Concertos 1-5 -- Krainev, Kitaenko

So far have listened to Horowitz's Schubert, quite mannered in spots but also enlightening, the beginning of Fischer's MSPC, which seemed superb, and one of the DSH Michelangelo songs, which confirmed my impression that late D F-D, up until it became too late for him, is more to my taste than most D F-D.

I have about half of that list in one form or another.

More classical stuff from that library sale:

Stravinsky, "Rake's Progress" -- R. Craft

Franck Piano Quintet, Liszt solo works -- Richter, Borodin Quartet (a famous performance of the Franck, but no one told me about the hypnotic Liszt performances)

Tchaikovsky String Quartets -- Borodin Quartet (Teldec)

Vivaldi Violin Concerti -- Shlomo Mintz, Israel Chamber O.  (darn good surprisingly, not at all soupy on the part of Mintz or the ICO)

Shostakovich "Jazz Music" -- Chailly

Mozart Conc. 9, 21 -- De Larrocha, C. Davis

Bartok, "Bluebeard's Castle"-- Dorati, LSO (oh, baby! -- and now I've got three of them: Boulez on Sony and Ferencsik on a Hungaroton LP; used to have Boulez on DG. Memory tells me that Ferencsik  [the one with G. Melis as Bluebeard;  Ferencsik did three] is the overall best, though Troyanis with Boulez is something else, but Dorati sure is in the running).

Here's a slightly out of synch video of a scene from the Ferencsik "Bluebeard's Castle." Don't know if these are actors lip-synching to the recording or the actual singers, but they sure do look right for the parts. That Judith!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUz8bUKgcJE

Edited by Larry Kart

Went to Amoeba yesterday and picked up

Fred Anderson - Black Horn Long Gone

Myron Walden - Higher Ground

Ornette Coleman - To Whom Who Keeps A Record

Frode Gjerstad - Through The Woods

Salim Washington - Love In Exile 

and passed on the Joe Henderson Milestone Years box because it was a littler beat up only to come home and find a copy on Ebay for $25.