What music did you buy today?

tonym

It's Saturday evening here in the UK. Millions of shoppers have arrived home laden with 'stuff'. Some of them may be enjoying their new purchases, others may be searching for the receipt in order to exchange it tomorrow (in the UK now, Saturday and Sunday are almost interchangeable, except for car-boot sales and 'Antiques Roadshow').

So. What music did you buy?

I'm aware that many of you may have huge stockpiles of records in a queue and lots of you may buy online. Me? No music today. Next week maybe.

Cheers, tonym.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also bought a necktie and a shirt for an event tonight.

Let us know what you think of those two discs. I hope you dig the Unwound!

I bought nothing today, but did have a nice package from Mosaic waiting for me when I got home last night. Tristano/Konitz/Marsh and Atlantic New Orleans Jazz blowout to follow...

My first day in Frankfurt for two months, so I got me:

Gloria Coleman, Soul Sisters (Impulse)

Yusef Lateef, The Golden Flute (Impulse)

Benny Golson, One Day, Forver, with Shirley Horn (Arkadia Jazz, reduced at 5 EURO!!!)

Benny Carter, Sax à la Carter (Capitol/UA)

Antonio Vivaldi, Cello Sonatas, Bruno Cosset (Alpha, excellent rendition)

Scarlatti, Harpsichord Sonatas Vol.5, Pieter-Jan Belder (3 CDs, Brilliant Classics, for just 8 EURO)

Federico Mompou, Complete Piano Music played by the composer himself at age 81 (4 CDs, Brilliant Classics, at 8 EURO - another Zweitausendeins bargain)

and, as a birthday gift for my wife, Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits.

I picked up my Liebman/Beirach from the delivery depot.

Then went on to Leeds and splurged out on:

Bill Frisell's trio with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones. I heard this in London twice in Virgin and was mighty impresed. Love it!

Rendall Carr - Phase III/Live - the second reissue from BGO. The first is tremendous. Looking forward to engaging with this one over the holidays.

Grateful Dead - The Closing of Winterland (1978) - I'd played a couple of the Dick's Picks sets over the previous week and couldn't resist this. They really were a wonderful, wonderful live band.

Mariza - Fado - Part of my preparations for a visit to Andalusia in the summer. I know, it's Portuguese but it's close.

The daft thing is I also needed a new watch. Came back empty handed because there was nothing I fancied for under £10!!!

My BMG and Columbia House orders both came today (funny because they weren't ordered at the same time!). Between them I got the Dylan SACD remasters, the Dylan Rolling Thunder bootleg series, and McCoy Tyner plays Coltrane at the Village Vanguard from a few years ago (I forget the proper name of it). I have Highway 61 playing now, and the sound is great on SACD. Pretty fun watching my 1 yr old daughter dance to it too!!!

More BMG bargain shopping and I came away with the following:

Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos-Muy Divertido

Terence Blanchard-Bounce

Tom Harrell-The Art Of Rhythm

Tom Harell-Paradise

Roland Kirk-Roland Kirk's Finest Hour

Both the Harrell's and the Kirk were in clearance so I figured it was a case of get them while you can.

Went to the Record Convention here in Austin today and got:

Blowin' Gold--John Klemmer--Chess two lp that also has tracks from Eruptions and All the Children Cried, unplayed 3 bucks

Joe Sullivan Piano--Folkways (solos, also two quartets with Bechet, one accompanying Stella Brooks and one with a Yank Lawson unit); beautiful release, five bucks

Capitol jazz Classics, Volume Six--Metronome All Stars 12/21/47, International Jazzmen 3/30/45, Metronome All Stars 1/23/51, Louis Bellson Just Jazz All Stars 2/52, three bucks

Dixieland Now and Then: Jimmy McPartland's Chicago Rompers (with Dichenson, Freeman and Morello!) and Paul Barbarin's New Orleans Stompers (with Humphrey and Barker!) ---Jazztone, three bucks

f37132sehi4.jpg

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette - Bye Bye Blackbird

This is "the standard trio's" tribute/elegy for Miles Davis

e093726a3pb.jpg

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Paul Motian - At the Deer Head Inn

An interesting anomaly, with Motian sitting in for DeJohnette

Edited by gdogus

I finally found the Duke Pearson RVG after driving to the Border's store on the other side of town and rummaging through the CD racks.

c306140kkl5.jpg

The only remaing RVG, of the most recent group, that I've yet to purchase is the Donald Byrd. I couldn't bring myself to pay Border's price of $26.99. Why is a single RVG priced at $11.99 and a double RVG is priced at $26.99? $11.99 multiplied by two is $23.98.

Read about a new trumpet player (at least to me) named Dominick Farinacci.

Searched around & bought Manhattan Dreams with Mulgrew Miller, Chip Jackson & Joe Farnsworth. Pricey Japanese CD. Hopefully it'll be good.

Also bought an Ernie Krivda CD (CIMP 293) that he's on.

Woops! I did the same as Moose; replied to the other thread. Can you transfer a post?

The heck with it---I found and bought a used copy of the Jimmy Cleveland Verve Elite. Haven't listened to all of it yet, but so far it's several :tup:tup and a big :excited: !

got on the mail this weekend

Charlie Rouse - Epistrophy The Last Concert

Clifford Jordan - Glass Bead Games

Duke Pearson - Bags Groove

Freddie Hubbard - Minor Mishap

Grant Green - The Latin Bit

Hampton Hawes - Live At The Montmartre

Kenny Dorham - West 42nd Street

Roswell Rudd - Flexible Flyer

Joao Gilberto - O Mito

MCO