What music did you buy today?

tonym

On 1/2/2017 at 2:34 PM, soulpope said:

Thnx for your feedback .... I would expect good things from Hantai'sĀ Scarlatti .... in case your replacement order should arrive in good shape I would appreciate a further resume nevertheless ....

I reordered (from a more respectable dealer), but the vendor is out of stock. Order still not cancelled, but I don't expect to receive the discs any time soon (if at all).

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, I ordered these 9 LPs from a retailer on Discogs:

Kenny Burrell - Live at the Village Vanguard (Muse)Ā 
I already have this wonderful music as MP3s. Looking forward to hearing theĀ improved fidelity on vinyl!Ā 

The Super Jazz Trio - S/T (Jazz Line, French import)Ā 
with Tommy Flanagan, Reggie Workman &Ā Joe Chambers. Flanagan's response to Hank Jones' Great Jazz Trio?

Jay McShann - The Last of the Blue Devils (Atlantic)Ā 
with Buddy Tate, Joe Newman, and a young John Scofield.

George Coleman/Tete Montoliu Duo - Meditation (Timeless Muse)Ā 
I think Big George was at his peak in the 70s.

Louis Smith Quintet - Prancin' (SteepleChase)Ā 
with SIr Roland Hanna.

Randy Weston - Blues To Africa (Arista-Freedom)Ā 
Another MP3 to LP upgrade. Superb music!

Milcho Leviev Quartet - Blues For The Fisherman (Mole Jazz, UK import)Ā 
Art Pepper's band. Not sure why it was released in Leviev's name. Presumably contracts?

Count Basie - Basie Jam #3 (Pablo)Ā 
Lately, I've been enjoying #2 so much that I decided to spring for #3.

Marian McPartland - A Delicate Balance (Halcyon)
I don't think Concord ever got around to reissuing this LP that McPartland released on her own label.

Ā 

All 9 LPs VG+ / VG+ (or better). Most were $2 or $3.

Who says great deals can't still be found on vinyl?!?!? :DĀ 

Ā 

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ā 

Milcho Leviev Quartet - Blues For The Fisherman (Mole Jazz, UK import)Ā 
Art Pepper's band. Not sure why it was released in Leviev's name. Presumably contracts?

Ā 

Do believe Art Pepper was contractually bound with Galaxy Records at that time ....

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a "copy" from a friend which in turn prompted an actual purchase, so I've heard that cut, and maybe one other with vocal. It's not even singing the song, it's more like Lee playing what he would play anyway, just with his voice, no real words. Maybe in anticipation of when he can no longer blow? Or maybe back to his roots, of singing Lester Young solos. Either way, it wasn't creepy or anything,.

As far as "warbly", hell the whole thing is warbly. Lee is, what, 150 years old now? How is he not gonna be warbly? But it's a sweet warbliness, a totally Lee warbliness.

Warbly, not wobbly.

43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've got a "copy" from a friend which in turn prompted an actual purchase, so I've heard that cut, and maybe one other with vocal. It's not even singing the song, it's more like Lee playing what he would play anyway, just with his voice, no real words. Maybe in anticipation of when he can no longer blow? Or maybe back to his roots, of singing Lester Young solos. Either way, it wasn't creepy or anything,.

As far as "warbly", hell the whole thing is warbly. Lee is, what, 150 years old now? How is he not gonna be warbly? But it's a sweet warbliness, a totally Lee warbliness.

Warbly, not wobbly.

O.K.

I heard him in person where several of these "vocals" were presented. I found then quite distracting - i.e. I didn't care for them.

Dig Lee here, the only cat in the band to look at this, the rest of the band is like, oh well, you know how Stan do, I'm just gonna look away, but Lee is, no, I'm gonna watch this shit, Lennie was weird, hell no, THIS cat is weird, I will survive!, I will be stronger coming out than I was coming in And he did, and he has, and he can do whatever the fuck he wants to as far as I'm concerned, Lee Konitz has not wavered!

stankenton%2B1953.jpg

On 2/21/2017 at 5:21 PM, JSngry said:

Dig Lee here, the only cat in the band to look at this, the rest of the band is like, oh well, you know how Stan do, I'm just gonna look away, but Lee is, no, I'm gonna watch this shit, Lennie was weird, hell no, THIS cat is weird, I will survive!, I will be stronger coming out than I was coming in And he did, and he has, and he can do whatever the fuck he wants to as far as I'm concerned, Lee Konitz has not wavered!

Damn straight.

On 3/2/2017 at 7:41 AM, Buddha the Magnificent said:

eMusic downloads

Adam Kolker - Reflections (Sunnyside, 2011)
Inbar Fridman - Time Quartet Project (Origin, 2013)
Pieter Hurst - mirages [opus 13, 1985]Ā 
Pieter Hurst - Piano Mobile [opus 6, 1981, Live]Ā 
Michelson Morley - Strange Courage (Babel, 2016)

The Adam Kolker is excellent. :tup

Ā 

Ā 

After listening via YT, I decided to order this John Lewis solo-piano CD:

51OHNAghCiL._SS400.jpg

Afternoon in Paris (Dreyfus)

Ā 

I also ordered Chet Baker's PeaceĀ on LP (Enja, German pressing!) from Dusty Groove:

61y-tTzZEPL._SS400.jpg

I went for this LPĀ for David Friedman's contributions as much I did for Chet's. Ā I've really been enjoying Friedman's music lately.

Looking forward to spinning this on my 'table, hearing the improved sonicsĀ -- since I now only have it as anĀ MP3 download. Ā