What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purchase or arrived today? :g

Freddie Hubbard - Benny Golson The Jazz Masters (Groove Merchant) 

180 gram reissue vinyl, I'm confused about the history though. Was this unissued at the time of recording? Doesn't seem like a Sonny Lester/Groove Merchant date. But that's what it say, and sealed, for $6, with Mulgrew Miller aboard seemed like a no-brainer.

Great Jazz Trio -  Kindness, Joy, Love & Happiness (Inner City)

Never even heard of this one but its in VG++ condition for $2.50 so how could I pass it up, despite the terrible shape of the cover?

Eddie Clearwater, The Chief (Rooster)

and the seller threw in a freebie:

Woody Herman - 12 Shades of Blue (Columbia)

In VG+ condition.

And the trouble with LPs sealed for a decade, its a tad warped. Sounds OK though.

More vinyl arriving today:

Katie Webster, Pounds of Blues (Charly R&B)

Pony Poindexter, The Happy Life of Pony (Session)

Frank Foster Quintet, Chiquito Loco (Bingow) - Live in Europe in the 70s with Mickey Tucker and Ted Dunbar

Clark Terry Live '64 (Silveto) - had no idea until recently that Horace Silver's label put out non-Horace music

Jimmy Witherspoon - A Spoonful of Soul (Verve) - autographed!

Hawk (Shoestring) - When I interviewed Eddie Higgins it was the first I'd heard of his first big moment in the sun, accompanying Hawkins at the Chicago Jazz fest. I had no idea there was an airshot that got released in the 70s. So one side and one track is Hawk with Eddie Higgins and the rest are sketchily dated live recordings of the 50s with Teddy Wilson, with Buck Clayton sitting in on one track and Dizzy on another.

Most excited to hear the Hawk, I hope the quality is decent, and the Pony, as I heard his disc in that Enja box of unissued 70s sets and enjoyed it quite a bit.

On 8/10/2017 at 0:15 PM, kh1958 said:

I think the Benny Golson/Freddie Hubbard may have originally come out on a Japanese label.

Recorded for Denon.

Benny Golson Quintet Featuring Freddie Hubbard

Freddie Hubbard (trumpet, flugelhorn) Benny Golson (tenor sax) Mulgrew Miller (piano) Ron Carter (bass) Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums)

NYC, June 22 & 23, 1987
  Stardust Denon (J) YF-7142
  Double Bass Denon (J) YF-7142; Groove Merchant GM 26103
  Gypsy Jingle Jangle -
  Povo Denon (J) YF-7142
  Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing Denon (J) YF-7142; Groove Merchant GM 26103
  Sad To Say -
  Far Away -

* Denon (J) YF-7142, CY 1838-EX   Benny Golson Featuring Freddie Hubbard - Stardust
* Groove Merchant GM 26103   Freddie Hubbard, Benny Golson - The Jazz Masters

Thanks KH. There are actually a couple of tracks missing from the Groove Merchant LP.,

Arriving today,

Boogie for Three Pianos - Sammy Price, Jay McShann, Jean-Paul Amouroux (Swing Land)

Stumbled across this on Discogs and decided to go for it - a live concert from 1989 featuring two legends and a much younger boogie-type player, solo, duo and all-three-at-once.

If nothing should make for an interesting BFT track or two. :g

• 2 weeks later...

Roberta Gambarini & Hank Jones - Lush Life (55 Records, 2006)

Roberta Gambarini (& Roy Hargrove & James Moody) - So In Love (Groovin' High, 2008)

Pedro Iturralde - Flamenco Jazz (MPS, 1968) --> not to mix-up with the two volumes of Flamenco Jazz on Hispavox label

Pedro Iturralde - Entre Amigos (Hispanares, 2014)

Paul Gonsalves/Willie Cook/Enrique Villegas - Encuentro (Trova/FSR, 1968)

JR Monterose - The Message (Jaro/FSR, 1959)

• 2 weeks later...

51F5rPq-p6L._SS500.jpg

816MprcPneL._SL1200_.jpg

Buying the Ornette to save the LPs ( for/from what, I have no idea, but it seems like a valid-ish justification?), but the Eckstine, is due to hearing this on a YouTube discovery-binge and thinking, wow, that chart is a lot more..engaged than it had to be.

I don't know if there's been a curve I'm now behind, but a re-evaluation of Billy Eckstine as more than just "the guy who had that hip big band and then turned into a bland MOR crooner for the next how many ever decades" is definitely something that seems due, for me, at least. The man's instrument was remarkable and he yielded it masterfully no matter the context. I've hears some pretty questionable contexts, but never any questionable singing.Is it just me, or is he pretty much forgotten these days except for leading the big band? That just seems wrong...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

a lot... but it seemed outrageous to live within commuting distance  from Utrecht and always missing the famous record fair

The Bop Friends - Live at the Mozart (Vogel)
Walt Dickerson Trio - Serendipity (Steplechase)
Loek Dikker Ensemble - Summer Suite (Daybreak)
Joe Diorio - Earth Moon Earth (Nocturne)
Jon Eardley / Al Haig - Stablemates (Spotlite)
Jon Eardley - Namely Me (Spotlite)
Clare Fischer / Gary Foster - Starbright (Discovery)
Dexter Gordon - Live at the Paradiso in Amsterdam Vol II (Catfish / Yes to Jazz)
Al Grey / Jimmy Forrest - Out 'dere (Grayforrest)
Hampton Hawes - Spanish Steps (Black Lion)
Louis Hayes - Variety is the Spice (Gryphon)
Gijs Hendriks - Dom Rocket (Timeless)
Philly Joe Jones - Round' Midnight (Lotus)
Paul v. Kemenade / Ron v. Rossum (BVHaast)
Jimmy Knepper Sextet - Tell Me (Daybreak/Affinity)
Keshavan Maslak Quartet - Big Time (Daybreak/Affinity)
Don Menza / Frank Strazzeri - Ballads (Fresh Sound)
Hod O'Brien - Bits and Pieces (Uptown)
Horace Parlan Quintet - Frank-ly Speaking (Steeplechase)
Ray Pizzi Quartet - Expressivo (Discovery)
Frank Rosolino / Conte Candoli - Conversation (MPS)
Ack van Royen - Homeward (Mood)
Jordan Sandke / Jaki Byard - Rhythm is our business (Stash)
Saheb Sarbib Sextet - Jancin' at Jazzmania (Jazzmania)
Thomas Pelzer Limited (Vogel)
Etienne Verschueren - Mr Blue (BRT)
Etienne Verschueren - Early Spring (Jazz Cats)
Vince Wallace Plays Vince Wallace (AMP)

Edited by Niko

• 1 month later...

Somewhat inspired by the music that didn't make it to LP thread, I searched again and found Dolo Coker's Third Down LP for $15 and ordered that.  It will be quite some time before it is in my hands and I reassemble my turntable, but I'll try to be patient.

I'm leaning towards ordering Night Train by Jimmy Forrest, a compilation of his early material on Delmark.  I'm holding back for the moment because I think I probably owned this at one point, but maybe I just saw it a lot back in the day when I used to drop into the Jazz Record Mart a lot.  In either case, I don't have it in my collection now.

I've been getting lax keeping up with Houston Person releases lately. But I had a day a month or so ago when I listened to his material all day long.

As a result, I asked my wife and daughter to get me a couple I'd missed for Christmas.

Well, they got me four!

HoustonPerson.jpg

Something personal

51tedkotKqL._SY355_.jpg

Thinking of you

R-4229120-1470571152-9830.jpeg.jpg

Naturally

MI0004312492.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Rain or shine wasn't even available when I asked, so my daughter got that, too!

Boxing day was LOVELY!

MG

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I've been getting lax keeping up with Houston Person releases lately. But I had a day a month or so ago when I listened to his material all day long.

As a result, I asked my wife and daughter to get me a couple I'd missed for Christmas.

Well, they got me four!

HoustonPerson.jpg

Thinking of you

51tedkotKqL._SY355_.jpg

Thinking of you

R-4229120-1470571152-9830.jpeg.jpg

Naturally

MI0004312492.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Rain or shine wasn't even available when I asked, so my daughter got that, too!

Boxing day was LOVELY!

MG

I've made a habit of watching for Houston's Fall Highnote release then ask for it at Christmas or use an Amazon gift card for it. So all I got was the latest, Rain or Shine. Very nice. There's a certain sameness to his releases on Highnote but I don't care. Someday there won't be a new collection of ballads, standards and blues so I'll keep collecting them all.

Was doing some poking around on on-line discography sites.  Found out about an Al Haig session with Jimmy Raney - Special Brew.  Never on LP.  Sad...

It is mentioned briefly here in a different thread more focused on Raney, but not the music that never made it to CD thread.  Anyway, found a supposedly NM- copy on-line for $5.  I'll post my thoughts on the not on CD thread when I can, but it will be a long while before I actually have it in my hands...