What music did you buy today?

tonym

Today, I took one of my occasional trips up to Chattanooga to visit McKays.  It's always great fun to see what they have.  Here's what I brought home:

JAZZ
- Bill Evans - Empathy + A Simple Matter of Conviction (Verve)
- Art Farmer, Frank Morgan, a.o. - Central Avenue Reunion (Contemporary)
- Wood Herman - The Raven Speaks (Fantasy)
- Ethan Iverson, Albert "Tootie" Heath, Ben Street - Live at Smalls (Smalls Live)
- Frank Kimbrough Trio - Lonely Woman (Mapleshade)
- Jason Moran - Soundtrack to Human Motion (Blue Note)
- Herbie Nichols - Love, Gloom, Cash, Love (Bethlehem)
- Oscar Peterson Trio with Milt Jackson - Very Tall (Verve)
- Edward Simon Trio - Poesia (CamJazz)
- Steve Turre - Rhythm Within (Antilles)

OTHER STUFF
- Roseanne Cash - The Essential Roseanne Cash (Sony Legacy)
- Liszt: Selected Hungarian Rhapsodies; Czardas Obstine / Alfred Brendel (Vanguard)
- Mozart: Piano Sonata in A minor, K. 310 and other works / Alfred Brendel (Vanguard)

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

51AVQSRpqYL._AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65_

Miles Davis - The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions: I have owned the original CD issue of Workin' for years, but I held off on buying the other albums due to there being this (formerly expensive) box and the RVG reissues.  I remember seeing this box in Borders (*sigh*) when it was released for around $50, IIRC.  I found it on eBay yesterday for $5.99, including shipping, which is a crazy bargain.

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

Miles Davis - The Legendary Prestige Quintet Sessions: I have owned the original CD issue of Workin' for years, but I held off on buying the other albums due to there being this (formerly expensive) box and the RVG reissues.  I remember seeing this box in Borders (*sigh*) when it was released for around $50, IIRC.  I found it on eBay yesterday for $5.99, including shipping, which is a crazy bargain.

Awesome !

That's a great bargain. The mastering by Joe Tarantino, however, is uncharacteristically loud, imo. You can't crank this up like you can OJCs. Very irritating. His work on the Coltrane Fearless Leader box from just after is much better and not tiring at all. I once saw one Amazon reviewer mistaking this Miles Davis box for RVG remastering, too lazy to read the booklet, but going by the loudness alone I cannot blame him. Every thing else by Joe Tarantino I like (16bit OJCs, 24bit OJCs, box sets, etc.).

•          John Coltrane – Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album (Impulse, 1963)

•           Erroll Garner ‎– Nightconcert (Mack Avenue, 1964)

•           Louis Armstrong – Sparks, Nevada 1964! (Dot Time, 1964)

•           Martial Solal ‎– My One And Only Love: Live At Theater Gütersloh (Intuition, 2017)

On 7/23/2018 at 10:32 PM, Justin V said:

On 7/23/2018 at 2:59 AM, erwbol said:

That's a great bargain. The mastering by Joe Tarantino, however, is uncharacteristically loud, imo. You can't crank this up like you can OJCs. Very irritating. His work on the Coltrane Fearless Leader box from just after is much better and not tiring at all. I once saw one Amazon reviewer mistaking this Miles Davis box for RVG remastering, too lazy to read the booklet, but going by the loudness alone I cannot blame him. Every thing else by Joe Tarantino I like (16bit OJCs, 24bit OJCs, box sets, etc.).

I first ordered this box from eBay in June for around $9, which was 50 cents less than the cheapest copy on Amazon.  The Amazon one was an ex-library copy that might not include the artwork.  My order was lost in the mail, by which time the cheapest copy on Amazon was $23.  I then found this 'bargain' on eBay, only to discover upon its arrival that it was a four-track sampler from Borders.  I had to laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally gave up hoping Mosaic would issue a Lionel Hampton Decca box, so I've started buying the Chronological Classics - some of which are moderately pricey. But I got three in Paris last month and have got two more from Amazon, the 1942-44 just arrived. So I've now bought:

1942-44

1945-46

1949-50

In the post now

1950-51 seems to have a lot of MGM material in it, so I thought I'd not bother. Anyone know his MGM material?

MG

holmes_rich_onsayajoy_101b.jpg?r=1

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Onsaya Joy (Flying Dutchman, 1975)
After years of listening to this on YT (the used vinyl was expensive!), I ordered the Japanese Solid CD reissue. Holmes is probably my favorite organist -- and this record is fantastic, one of his best, IMHO. 

52 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

holmes_rich_onsayajoy_101b.jpg?r=1

Richard "Groove" Holmes - Onsaya Joy (Flying Dutchman, 1975)
After years of listening to this on YT (the used vinyl was expensive!), I ordered the Japanese Solid CD reissue. Holmes is probably my favorite organist -- and this record is fantastic, one of his best, IMHO. 

Indeed. Along with 'Shippin' out' and the 2 albums live from Count Basie's, my favourite.

MG

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I haven't heard Shippin' Out.  I'll have to look for that one.  Thanks for the heads-up. :tup 

With David Schnitter tenor sax, Steve Giordano guitar, Idris Muhammed drums, Bobby Caldwell conga. June 1977, RVG. One of the few Muse albums produced by Joe Fields.

MG