What music did you buy today?

tonym

Picked up these four LPs earlier today at a local shop:

ChicoHamilton_CHSpecial.png

Chico Hamilton Quintet - The Chico Hamilton Special (Columbia)
One of the earliest (the first?) Chico LPs with Charles Lloyd.

GeoShearing_ShearinginHiFi.png

George Shearing Quintet - Shearing in Hi Fi (M-G-M)
with Cal Tjader, Toots Thielemans, and Al McKibbon.

HamptonHawes_TheSeance.png

Hampton Hawes Trio - The Seance (Contemporary)
I already own this music in digital format, but I couldn't resist the vinyl.  It's one of HH's best, IMHO.

61HEQ-EQArL._SX400_.jpg

David Liebman Quartet featuring Mike Nock - The Opal Heart (Enja)
Late-1970s Lieb with a pianist who isn't Richie Beirach. 

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

HamptonHawes_TheSeance.png

Hampton Hawes Trio - The Seance (Contemporary)
I already own this music in digital format, but I couldn't resist the vinyl.  It's one of HH's best, IMHO.

Not reissued on CD for nearly 30 years (and  - at least to my knowldge - never in Japan !) ....

Arrived fifteen minutes ago

Kade Diawara - L'archange du Manding - Syliphone SLP62

R-8273800-1477406438-3713.jpeg.jpg

I noticed this in Graeme Counsel's Syliphone discography a few days ago. I've three more recent K7s than this LP (1977), and didn't know about it. Looked on Discogs and found one not prohibitively expensive.

A present to ME from myself.

MG

Just ordered these 12 LPs from a single seller on discogs, all vinyl VG+ or better:

- Dexter Gordon Quartet - The Apartment (SteepleChase)
- Coleman Hawkins - The High and Mighty Hawk (Felsted; Affinity reissue)
- Sheila Jordan / Harvie Swartz Duo - Old Time Feeling (Palo Alto)
- James Moody - Hey! It's James Moody (Argo; Cadet reissue)
- The Albert Nicholas Quartet with Art Hodes (Delmark)
- Dudu Pukwana - In the Townships (Virgin)
- Pee Wee Russell & Coleman Hawkins - Jazz Reunion (Candid; Barnaby reissue)
- Sonny Stitt - My Buddy: Sonny Stitt Plays for Gene Ammons (Muse)
- Sonny Stitt - Sonny Stitt with Strings: A Tribute to Duke Ellington (Catalyst)
- Gary Thomas - Seventh Quadrant (Enja)
- Lucky Thompson - Dancing Sunbeam (ABC/Impulse; 2 LPs)
- Mary Lou Williams - Solo Recital: Montreux Jazz Festival 1978 (Pablo)

I think I did pretty well cost-wise. Lots of outstanding music for less than $50 total outlay.

Edited by HutchFan

Year End Holiday orders via Not Two records:

Joelle Leandre: Woman’s Work - 8 CD set - mostly duos & trios from the last 5-10 years. I expect the typical great production and sound from Not Two records

the above ordered with these other recent or fairly recent releases on Not Two:

Hans Peter Hiby, Michael Bardon & Paul Hession: Roots / first listen to the saxophonist & bassist - excited to hear the beastly Hession on drums 

Mats Gustafsson Nu Ensemble - Hidros 6 - Knockin’ - large ensemble with the best of the best including Peter Evans, Joe McPhee, Ingebrigt Haker-Flaten, Agusti Fernandez, Kjell Nordeson & Paal Nilssen-Love

Rafal Mazur, Percy Pursglove & Ramon Lopez: Threefold - Pursglove on trumpet is new to me but I’ve become a big fan of Mazur on acoustic bass guitar.

Peter Brotzmann with Takeo Moriyama & Masahiko Satoh: Yatagarasu

Marco Colonna, Agusti Fernandez & Zlatko Kaucic: Agrakal - Colanna on reeds is new to me

Harvey Sorgen, Joe Fonda & Marilyn Crispell: Dreamstruck - nice to the great pianist on this label - excited to hear how they capture her sound. Joe Fonda is one of the most underappreciated bassists in this music

The Diagonal which is a Quintet with Jeff Parker, Jeb Bishop, Pandelis Karayorgis. Curt McBride & Luther Gray - probably the recording among all of these that might be a bit more towards straightish jazz than normal for me. The inclusion of the great trombonist Bishop and the wonderful pianist Karayorgis convinced me to put it in my cart

Nu Band: The Cosmological Constant: Mark Whitecage, Thomas Heberer, Joe Fonda & Lou Grassi - I’ve seen them live and I’d love to see them again. Perfect blend of romping post bop/free bop and everything else I love about modern free jazz/improvisation and Heberer’s post-modernity is the perfect foil to more old school free jazzers like Whitecage & Grassi

Harvey Sorgen, Herb Robertson & Steve Rust: Rumble Seat - I’ll buy anything with Herb Robertson

Instruments of Change by Construction Party - quartet with Dave Rempis & Pandelis Karayorgis 

Joe McPhee: Isben’s Ghost - Quartet with Jeb Bishop, Haker-Flaten & Michael Zerang!!!

Rafal Mazur, Michal Dymny & Vasco Trilla: Tidal Heating - two more new names for me 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Now here is the next order:

from No Business:

Joelle Leandre Sudo Quartet with Carlos Zingaro, Sebi Tramontona & Paul Lovens

Intracacies: Paul Hubweber, Frank Paul Schubert, Alexander Von Schlippenbach & Clayton Thomas

Kidd Jordan, Peter Kowald & Alvin Fielder - Duo & Trio in New Orleans - 2 CD sets

Red Trio with Mattias Stahl: North and the Red Stream

Peter Kuhn with Toshinori Kondo, William Parker & Denis Charles - No Coming, No Going - Music from 1978-79 - 2 CD set

Mats Gustafsson - Vilnius Explosion 

then I filled my Brotzmann Tentet gap with both American Landscape CD’s from 2007 along with the 2 CD set from 2011 - Love, Walk, Sleep

514gh6ghp3L._SX425_.jpg5192ctqqLbL._SS500.jpg

19037.jpgCarrierAll.jpg20650.Full.jpg

I owned one album from Francois Carrier and love it (Compassion - Naxos 2000) which I listened to again last night and decided to explore more of his output. 

I purchased

Happening - Leo Records 2006

All'alba - Justin Time Records 2003

Katmandu - FMR 2007

All Out - FMR 2011

The Russia Concerts Vol 1. - FMR 2014

Edited by jcam_44

10 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

514gh6ghp3L._SX425_.jpg5192ctqqLbL._SS500.jpg

19037.jpgCarrierAll.jpg20650.Full.jpg

I owned one album from Francois Carrier and love it (Compassion - Naxos 2000) which I listened to again last night and decided to explore more of his output. 

I purchased

Happening - Leo Records 2006

All'alba - Justin Time Records 2003

Katmandu - FMR 2007

All Out - FMR 2011

The Russia Concerts Vol 1. - FMR 2014

Please look out for “Overground to The Vortex” as well as “Unknowable” both on Not Two Records. They both have Michel Lambert on drums but the former has John Edwards on bass and Steve Beresford on piano for the second half of the recording. The latter has Rafal Mazur on acoustic bass guitar to fill out the trio. 

As always the sound quality is premium and the performances especially on the date with Edwards & Beresford is exceptional.

I have Happening and it’s good but not on the level of the above recordings I’m recommending.

19 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Please look out for “Overground to The Vortex” as well as “Unknowable” both on Not Two Records. They both have Michel Lambert on drums but the former has John Edwards on bass and Steve Beresford on piano for the second half of the recording. The latter has Rafal Mazur on acoustic bass guitar to fill out the trio. 

As always the sound quality is premium and the performances especially on the date with Edwards & Beresford is exceptional.

I have Happening and it’s good but not on the level of the above recordings I’m recommending.

Thanks for the heads up! I actually only got The Happening because there was a copy on amazon for $1.72.

I did end up ordering Intuition and The Joy of Being as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Tell me about Ben Johnston, please?

Long-time microtonal (just intonation) American composer. His string quartet cycle has waited a long time for a full recording, recently done by the Kepler Qt . on New World.

There are a few recordings on other American labels.

Best introduction is probably the disc "Ponder Nothing" of chamber music (my father loves this album(!), which is very "accessible"). The entire 9th quartet is on a Laurel disc by Stanford Qt. I haven't listened in a long time, but recall it as pretty thorny. The 4th "Amazing Grace" was recorded by Kronos on "White Man Sleeps"; I'm not a big Kronos fan so reserve judgment. A vocal piece "Letter from Calamity Jane..." on the CRI "Urban Diva" disc by Dora Ohrenstein. There's a "Microtonal Piano" disc by Phillip Bush on Koch which is interesting but sounds a bit "plink-plonk" in places (probably the serial Sonata) iirc.

Not clear that I'll love the quartet cycle, but it's a "major event" in the microtonal sector, so I ought to give it a spin.

Quite a few good interviews out there, for instance:

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/interviews/johnston.html

https://nmbx.newmusicusa.org/a-conversation-with-ben-johnston/

https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2016/12/31/507542859/ben-johnston-hears-the-notes-between-the-notes

Edited by T.D.

52 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Sam Jones: Visitation

Just got that very CD myself in mid-December.  Haven't warmed to Bob Berg yet on it (but I can't decide if the fault is mine or his), but generally liking it.

Got it for the Terumasa Hino angle, and he's in fine form, if perhaps a little more (too?) straight-ahead than was typical for him around 1978.