What music did you buy today?

tonym

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Where did you see this?!?!

In an e-mail from Catalytic Sound. You could buy it at Bandcamp. Hope my order went through because it's now saying "Sold Out".

I did receive an order confirmation, so I'm optimistic. It was listed as a "pre-order".

Edited by jlhoots

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

In an e-mail from Catalytic Sound. You could buy it at Bandcamp. Hope my order went through because it's now saying "Sold Out".

I did receive an order confirmation, so I'm optimistic. It was listed as a "pre-order".

Thanks - I’ll wait for it to show up on the Not Two site. I’ve got a big pile of unheard CD’s that I received around the holidays so I can look forward to ordering this in a month or so. I heard about these shows. I wish I was in New Orleans as they look to be playing next month. Maybe they will make their first visit to NYC (DKV that is) in well over a decade. McPhee seems like the perfect addition to the trio.

R-2863551-1304546896.jpeg.jpg R-2863455-1304542369.jpeg.jpg

Liked their recording of #s 6,7 and 8 (OK, could have done without the short vocal addendum, but it was in memoriam Salvatore Martirano). Enjoyed the music, and the performances are (as far as I can ascertain) excellent, so decided to complete the set. Won't receive these for a while, as I ordered from European Amazon resellers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 3:55 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Now here is the next order:

from No Business:

Joelle Leandre Sudo Quartet with Carlos Zingaro, Sebi Tramontona & Paul Lovens

Intracacies: Paul Hubweber, Frank Paul Schubert, Alexander Von Schlippenbach & Clayton Thomas

Kidd Jordan, Peter Kowald & Alvin Fielder - Duo & Trio in New Orleans - 2 CD sets

Red Trio with Mattias Stahl: North and the Red Stream

Peter Kuhn with Toshinori Kondo, William Parker & Denis Charles - No Coming, No Going - Music from 1978-79 - 2 CD set

Mats Gustafsson - Vilnius Explosion 

then I filled my Brotzmann Tentet gap with both American Landscape CD’s from 2007 along with the 2 CD set from 2011 - Love, Walk, Sleep

Some of these are amazing topped by the Red Trio, the Gustafsson & the Leandre Quartet. The Red Trio + that vibes player is beyond amazing. Freely improvised jazz at it’s finest in a new language to these ears.

Taking the road less traveled on this one...not sure if it's a dirt road or just some place where grass won't grow. :g

Name/Title_______________________________Format__Price____Quantity___Total
Various __________________________________ CD     2.99          1     
  America's Millennium Tribute To Adolphe Sax Vol 3 -- Francois 
Daneels/Royal Conservatory Of Brussels
  Item: 907025, Condition: Used (NOTE: Out of print.)

Various __________________________________ CD     1.99          1     
  America's Millennium Tribute To Adolphe Sax Vol 4 -- Claude 
Delangle/Paris Conservatory
  Item: 901377, Condition: Used (NOTE: Out of print.)

America's Millennium Tribute To Adolphe Sax Vol 5 -- Jean Yves 
Fourmeau/Harvey G Phillips/Cergy Conservatory Paris
  Item: 907027, Condition: Used (NOTE: Out of print.)

New York Woodwind Quintet/Alec Wilder ____ LP     4.99          1     
  Alec Wilder Sketches The World's Most Beautiful Girls
  Item: 899719, Condition: Near Mint-

Sessions/Lees ____________________________ LP     4.99          1     
  Symphony No 3/Concerto For String Quartet & Orchestra -- Igor 
Buketoff/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
  Item: 672694, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: RCA Red Seal stereo 

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Taking the road less traveled on this one...not sure if it's a dirt road or just some place where grass won't grow. :g

Name/Title_______________________________Format__Price____Quantity___Total
  America's Millennium Tribute To Adolphe Sax Vol 3 -- Francois 
Daneels/Royal Conservatory Of Brussels
  Item: 907025, Condition: Used (NOTE: Out of print.)

Various __________________________________ CD     1.99          1     
  America's Millennium Tribute To Adolphe Sax Vol 4 -- Claude 
Delangle/Paris Conservatory
  Item: 901377, Condition: Used (NOTE: Out of print.)

America's Millennium Tribute To Adolphe Sax Vol 5 -- Jean Yves 
Fourmeau/Harvey G Phillips/Cergy Conservatory Paris
  Item: 907027, Condition: Used (NOTE: Out of print.)

New York Woodwind Quintet/Alec Wilder ____ LP     4.99          1     
  Alec Wilder Sketches The World's Most Beautiful Girls
  Item: 899719, Condition: Near Mint-

Sessions/Lees ____________________________ LP     4.99          1     
  Symphony No 3/Concerto For String Quartet & Orchestra -- Igor 
Buketoff/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
  Item: 672694, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: RCA Red Seal stereo 

I've thought about getting those Millennium Tribute to Sax discs at various times, but I already have more classical saxophone recordings than any sane person needs. The Alec Wilder/NY Woodwind Quintet LP is not for everyone, but I think you'll like it. Call it  very well-done light classical/salon music with a touch of bachelor pad vibe. I spin it occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...
Berg/Stravinsky __________________________ CD         
  Chamber Concerto/Concerto In E Flat Major/8 Instrumental 
Miniaturen/Ebony Concerto -- Barenboim/Zukerman/Arrignon/Boulez/Ensemble 
InterConte

George Crumb/Anton Webern/Witold Lutoslaws CD            

Black Angels/String Quartet Op 28/String Quartet -- Cikada Quartet

Lutoslawski ______________________________ CD     

Complete Works For String Orchestra -- Preludes Et 
Fugue/Ouverture/Musique Funebre/Grave/Five Folk Melodies -- Jean Paul 
Dessy/Orchestre Royal De Chambre De Wallonie

Ordering both the DKV Trio plus Joe McPhee 6 CD set & the Barry Guy Blue Shroud Band 5 CD set with a promise from me to my wife that they don’t get opened until my birthday in April

time to remind those here who have been unmoved about previous reminders about these Barry Guy Small Formation box sets that these releases are some of the finest played/improvised live music of the past few decades and are all presented in sound quality that is second to none. The first box is now hard to find and quite expensive (Mad Dogs with the New Orchestra members) but Mad Dogs on the Loose with almost the same personell (including Evan Parker, Mats Gustafsson, etc.) is almost as great and is available for a fair cost while Tensegrity is small formations improvisation from the Blue Shroud Band and it is arguably a more exciting collectionby mostly lesser known players (save for Guy, Peter Evans & Agusti Fernandez) is even less expensive. 

R-6898403-1432372499-3713.jpeg.jpg

This had been on the wish list for a while, price has fallen and there was a $5 eBay coupon.

51NJORmtV5L.jpg

I like weird microtonal string music. :wacko: Had this in cart @ Berkshire but it went out of stock. Broke down and bought from Amazon. I know there's a more recent set (played by Haba Quartet), but that's considerably more expensive.

Ordered these today:

RVW_Sym3_4_HandleyRLPO.png  R-7622929-1445358252-6090.jpeg.jpg

R-7623028-1445359677-7888.jpeg.jpg  R-7623073-1445360502-4796.jpeg.jpg

R-7623205-1445362509-1293.jpeg.jpg

Here in the U.S., Handley's Vaughan Williams cycle appears to be out-of-print.

But I was able to buy all five of these CDs through one U.K.-based vendor on discogs -- and the price was right. :g

Edited by HutchFan

On 15/02/2019 at 5:20 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Ordering both the DKV Trio plus Joe McPhee 6 CD set & the Barry Guy Blue Shroud Band 5 CD set with a promise from me to my wife that they don’t get opened until my birthday in April

time to remind those here who have been unmoved about previous reminders about these Barry Guy Small Formation box sets that these releases are some of the finest played/improvised live music of the past few decades and are all presented in sound quality that is second to none. The first box is now hard to find and quite expensive (Mad Dogs with the New Orchestra members) but Mad Dogs on the Loose with almost the same personell (including Evan Parker, Mats Gustafsson, etc.) is almost as great and is available for a fair cost while Tensegrity is small formations improvisation from the Blue Shroud Band and it is arguably a more exciting collectionby mostly lesser known players (save for Guy, Peter Evans & Agusti Fernandez) is even less expensive. 

So you won’t have a report on SQ of the DKV + McPhee yet? Would be a rare box set purchase for me and since each session has a different engineer I find myself wondering...

10 hours ago, David Ayers said:

So you won’t have a report on SQ of the DKV + McPhee yet? Would be a rare box set purchase for me and since each session has a different engineer I find myself wondering...

No report until some time after 4/25!! My experience with the 2 previous DKV box sets is that the sound quality is very very good. If one compares it to the William Parker Wood Flute Songs Box on AUM, the Not Two DKV boxes sound better. 

I use that as a comparison as Hamid Drake is on both and the sound of his drums is very important to me. Not Two records to this avid non-audiophile provides the best sound quality as compared to any current label I know of. The “Sound in Motion” box maybe sounds even better than the previous “Past & Present” box but both are spectacular sounding documents.

I hope you are also considering the Barry Guy box as the previous Tensegrity 4 CD set is among my favorite collection of current day freely improvised music. It’s exciting to these ears to hear the playing from a number of younger players I was previously unfamiliar with (Per Texas Johansson, Julius Gabriel, Fanny Paccoud, Ben Dwyer, etc.)

similar excitement in hearing the 3 CD set from Per-Ake Holmlander with a number of younger woman players I’d never heard of including a bassist Elsa Bergman who is amazing and some horn players who are also very very good and all seem to have fresh approaches to this music. Plus this set has Steve Swell & Tim Daisy as “veteran leadership” so there is a wonderful young & older or ying & yang feel to this release. This one might end up being an all-time favorite as my second or third time through in listening to the composed & improvised suite on disc 3 (with the full large ensemble) reveals a mature accomplished composer in Holmlander.