What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

No report until some time after 4/25!! My experience with the 2 previous DKV box sets is that the sound quality is very very good. If one compares it to the William Parker Wood Flute Songs Box on AUM, the Not Two DKV boxes sound better. 

I use that as a comparison as Hamid Drake is on both and the sound of his drums is very important to me. Not Two records to this avid non-audiophile provides the best sound quality as compared to any current label I know of. The “Sound in Motion” box maybe sounds even better than the previous “Past & Present” box but both are spectacular sounding documents.

I hope you are also considering the Barry Guy box as the previous Tensegrity 4 CD set is among my favorite collection of current day freely improvised music. It’s exciting to these ears to hear the playing from a number of younger players I was previously unfamiliar with (Per Texas Johansson, Julius Gabriel, Fanny Paccoud, Ben Dwyer, etc.)

similar excitement in hearing the 3 CD set from Per-Ake Holmlander with a number of younger woman players I’d never heard of including a bassist Elsa Bergman who is amazing and some horn players who are also very very good and all seem to have fresh approaches to this music. Plus this set has Steve Swell & Tim Daisy as “veteran leadership” so there is a wonderful young & older or ying & yang feel to this release. This one might end up being an all-time favorite as my second or third time through in listening to the composed & improvised suite on disc 3 (with the full large ensemble) reveals a mature accomplished composer in Holmlander. 

Thanks, Steve. I have a good handful of single CDs from this label and the sound is just great. I’d pick up more (even though I’m mainly off CDs) but I don’t like their shipping calculator. It will be one box only for me this year, or at least only one box at a time, but I think this one has my name on it...

18 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Thanks, Steve. I have a good handful of single CDs from this label and the sound is just great. I’d pick up more (even though I’m mainly off CDs) but I don’t like their shipping calculator. It will be one box only for me this year, or at least only one box at a time, but I think this one has my name on it...

Here in the U.S. there is a vendor directly related to the label where we get ONE shipping charge for as many CD’s as we want from Not Two. I made an order (that I documented on another thread) that was over 8-9 releases with a total shipping cost of $7.43 U.S. dollars. Same for these 2 boxes - I think $122 cost & 7.43 shipping:) for the two boxes. Great price in my view for these very high quality recordings.

35 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Here in the U.S. there is a vendor directly related to the label where we get ONE shipping charge for as many CD’s as we want from Not Two. I made an order (that I documented on another thread) that was over 8-9 releases with a total shipping cost of $7.43 U.S. dollars. Same for these 2 boxes - I think $122 cost & 7.43 shipping:) for the two boxes. Great price in my view for these very high quality recordings.

In the UK, you will find that a Polish seller called serpent.pl will also offer a very reasonable combined shipping charge. You can either use them direct or via their page on a ceratin auction site. I have used them on numerous occasions and found their service excellent.

(make sure you use the 'English' version of their website!)

Edited by 2scoops
spelling error

57 minutes ago, 2scoops said:

In the UK, you will find that a Polish seller called serpent.pl will also offer a very reasonable combined shipping charge. You can either use them direct or via their page on a ceratin auction site. I have used them on numerous occasions and found their service excellent.

Same vendor:)

16 hours ago, 2scoops said:

Thank you for this tip, and thanks also to Steve. I’ll order the box direct, I think, and check out serpent for future individual purchases. 

On 12/03/2019 at 2:30 PM, David Ayers said:

Thank you for this tip, and thanks also to Steve. I’ll order the box direct, I think, and check out serpent for future individual purchases. 

DKV + McPhee now on its way. When it gets here I’ll post on it every day until Steve’s birthday. 

Well, if I get chance to even listen to it...

meantime Steve, maybe you could make do with this:

13 hours ago, soulpope said:

Superb Mal Waldron session ....

Indeed it is. Perhaps Waldron’s strongest period (1969-1973). Oh what am I saying, the 80’s were very fruitful as well. Mal is just one of my all time favorites 

11 minutes ago, Pim said:

Indeed it is. Perhaps Waldron’s strongest period (1969-1973). Oh what am I saying, the 80’s were very fruitful as well. Mal is just one of my all time favorites 

Yep .... strongly believe that from 1969 onwards less memorable efforts were rare exceptions ....