What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered these from a discogs seller.  All "bargain bin" finds.  Total outlay for 12 CDs - $26   :g

Duduka Da Fonseca Trio - Plays Dom Salvador (Sunnyside) 
Stan Kenton & His Orchestra - Live at Redlands University (Creative World) 
Marcus Roberts - As Serenity Approaches (Novus)
Marcus Roberts - If I Could Be With You (Novus) 
Bob Wilber & Kenny Davern - Summit Reunion (Chiaroscuro)

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 3 / London PO, Klaus Tennstedt, Ortrun Wenkel, et al (EMI Digital)
Ottorino Respighi: Pines of Rome; Fountains of Rome; Roman Festivals / Philadelphia O, Eugene Ormandy (Sony Classical)
Jean Sibelius: Tone Poems / Lahti SO, Osmo Vänskä (BIS)
Robert Simpson: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 5 / Royal PO, Vernon Handley (Hyperion)
Sir William Walton: Symphony No. 2, etc. / London PO, Bryden Thomson (Chandos)

The O'Jays - Love Train: The Best of The O'Jays (Sony Legacy)
Otis Redding - The Very Best of Otis Redding (Rhino)

Edited by HutchFan

On 3/22/2020 at 11:32 AM, Pim said:

All on vinyl:

R-1416508-1531031485-4523.jpeg.jpg

Fantastic.  A 5-star LP in my book.  :tup:tup:tup 

On 3/22/2020 at 11:32 AM, Pim said:

norman-connors-dance-of-magic-front.jpg

Another excellent LP, Pim.  ... If you like this one, I think the two that follow it -- Dark of Light and Love from the Sun -- are even better.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Fantastic.  A 5-star LP in my book.  :tup:tup:tup 

Another excellent LP, Pim.  ... If you like this one, I think the two that follow it -- Dark of Light and Love from the Sun -- are even better.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was doubting about those but now not anymore ;)

Jeff Pifher And Socrate's Trial - Alternate Futures Past Realities

Steve Adams/Vinny Golia Duo - Philosophy of Air

Vinny Golia/Steph Richards/Bert Turetzky - Trio Music

The Forgetting Machine - Systematic and Quantitative (free with the above order!)

Bobby Bradford - Live at the Magic Triangle

Bobby Bradford - The Delaware River

Bob Reynolds - A Message for Mobley

Bob Reynolds - Runway 

and a bunch of zydeco if anyone is interested

Just snagged this Cannonball LP off ebay:   

R-1146705-1345752210-1081.jpeg.jpg

Over the last few days, I've listened to this record several times (via YouTube).  Been enjoying it so much that I decided I "needed" the vinyl. ;) 

On 4/1/2020 at 1:36 PM, Pim said:

R-3274804-1549727296-4936.jpeg.jpg

with Stanley Cowell, Sonny Fortune, Onaje Allan Gumbs, Billy Hart etc.

need I say more. This is a fantastic and underrated record. The ode to Coltrane is so beautiful....

Yes!  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:10 AM, HutchFan said:

Stan Kenton & His Orchestra - Live at Redlands University (Creative World) 

That one deserves a mention on your 70s blog somehow/somewhere...a strong album by any standard and very influential in a lot of ways in its own parallel universe...

34 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That one deserves a mention on your 70s blog somehow/somewhere...a strong album by any standard and very influential in a lot of ways in its own parallel universe...

I considered including Live at Redlands University, along with a couple other Kenton recordings -- Live at BYU, Live in Europe.

But Redlands University will have to be one that we discuss afterwards.  It didn't quite make my "personal selection" cut, and I've already passed its 1970 recording date.

I am looking forward to hearing it on my stereo in high-fidelity, instead of just streaming it via YT and hearing it on crappy computer speakers or headphones. 

I think all music benefits from improved sound fidelity.  But some music needs excellent sound for it to be "fully realized."  (An analogy -- 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't the same film on a television as it is on a movie screen.  The large screen is required for the film to make it's "true" impact.) 

I'm thinking that Redlands University may be like that, in terms of sound. That's why I decided to order it.  

We'll see.

Edited by HutchFan

23 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I considered including Live at Redlands University, along with a couple other Kenton recordings -- Live at BYU, Live in Europe.

But Redlands University will have to be one that we discuss afterwards.  It didn't quite make my "personal selection" cut, and I've already passed its 1970 recording date.

I am looking forward to hearing it on my stereo in high-fidelity, instead of just streaming it via YT and hearing it on crappy computer speakers or headphones. 

I think all music benefits from improved sound fidelity.  But some music needs excellent sound for it to be "fully realized."  (An analogy -- 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't the same film on a television as it is on a movie screen.  The large screen is required for the film to make it's "true" impact.) 

I'm thinking that Redlands University may be like that, in terms of sound. That's why I decided to order it.  

We'll see.

Well, Kenton gonna Kenton, always. But on this record, that's a GOOD thing, and hell yeah, play it loud. PLAY IT VERY LOUD. :g

and seriously - play it loud. It was louder than fuck  in person, trust me, quite possible louder than anything your record player can do. But it was a clean loud, because it was all acoustic instruments, all of them. All acoustic instruments played loudly by people who knew how to do that without distorting the sound.

And that's pretty much true of all Kenton - however variable the quality of the writing is, and however variable the "jazz quotient" (whatever that means, except it's noticeable in its absence more than in its presence), that shit is always executed with the highest skill.

I might have forgotten to say this, but, yeah - play it loud. Dick Shearer has a trombone section just waiting for you to do that. Don't disappoint him.

19 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis With Shirley Scott - The Complete Cookbook ... Eddie Davis Trio Featuring Shirley Scott Complete Recordings by ...

Jaws and Shirley!  Yeah!!!

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well, Kenton gonna Kenton, always. But on this record, that's a GOOD thing, and hell yeah, play it loud. PLAY IT VERY LOUD. :g

Understood!  Will crank it to ELEVEN!