What music did you buy today?

tonym

I've been checking out Truth Revolution Records, the label run by the Curtis Brothers, pianist Zaccai and bassist Luques.  The label has an extensive catalog of releases from vets and newcomers and a subscription service akin to Greenleaf's but with low monthly payment.

a2702522702_16.jpg

Raymond McMorrin - Ray Mack

a2352191202_16.jpg

Albert Rivera - Back At It

a2633747600_16.jpg

Andrei Matorin - Opus

a2140610269_16.jpg

Nick Roseboro - Passageway

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Buddy Rich a.o.
On 20.3.2020 at 8:56 PM, JSngry said:

Thankful that records last longer than the people who make them (and the people who buy them and, for that matter, sell them), as well as for the gosdarn internet, which might do it's part to keep those records alive in the market place, all of which has been said in light of last night's very simple Dusty Groove order:

Agreed. Good choice indeed.

Edited by jazzcorner
text

A bundle of Mosaics..

CD versions of the Complete Count Basie Studio Roulette and Maynard Fergusson Roulette boxes. I have LPs but really wanted these in CD format for ease of endless spinning and future streaming. Also Dinah Washington Roulette (which has eluded me).

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

A bundle of Mosaics..

CD versions of the Complete Count Basie Studio Roulette and Maynard Fergusson Roulette boxes. I have LPs but really wanted these in CD format for ease of endless spinning and future streaming. Also Dinah Washington Roulette (which has eluded me).

You beat me to the Dinah Washington but I was happy with my haul. The prices on the Basie and Ferguson were great, though. I certainly paid a lot more!

I’m almost too embarrassed to give the full list but I got the O’Day, Eldridge, Rich, Mulligan, Cherry, Shearing, Ventura/Phillips, Teagarden and Master Piano sets.

Am on a major Verve kick at the minute so the timing was good from that perspective. Plus lots of time to listen!

11 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

I’m almost too embarrassed to give the full list but I got the O’Day, Eldridge, Rich, Mulligan, Cherry, Shearing, Ventura/Phillips, Teagarden and Master Piano sets.

Am on a major Verve kick at the minute so the timing was good from that perspective. Plus lots of time to listen!

Fantastic haul. Plus some very good prices - that Mulligan especially. You are in for some great listening there. The O’Day I don’t spin enough and will dig out (bought from Scott direct at one of his record show appearances). 

That was a very good run of Verve boxes that they did. Can’t think of one dud amongst them. Hope that the Stuff Smith on the list went to a good home !

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Pim said:

Adding more stuff to my Waldron collection.... Okay I admit it: its an obsession :P

R-6273802-1452337931-7422.jpeg.jpg

That's one I'd like to hear.

I had been on the fence about this forever, but finally went for a used copy:

R-11376199-1515270463-3936.jpeg.jpg

I grew up in Evanston, IL (home of Bee Hive), so it's nostalgia in a sense. I never knew of the Neumann family, though.

R-3453845-1331421982.jpeg.jpg

I've wanted this CD for a while, and yesterday I found it for a reasonable price on eBay. ... Patterson is excellent, and Booker Ervin's presence seals the deal.

5 hours ago, T.D. said:

That's one I'd like to hear.

Both of the two Marion Brown / Mal Waldron collaborations are fantastic.

... Nearly on par with Waldron's many outings with Steve Lacy.

Different, of course. But that good!

Edited by HutchFan

Some classical discs I've ordered lately:

81mgqp2RVjL._SX500_.jpg

Hard to go wrong with Martinon in French repertoire.  ... I know the "Organ" Symphony -- like everyone else.  But none of the others.

513RlPpG-RL.jpg

I already have (and like) Thomson's second volume of Bax Tone Poems. ... Always nice to fill a missing "Volume 1" gap when "Volume 2" is already on the shelf.  Or am I the only person who thinks like that?

413fYNIdIJL.jpg

I have a couple WTC recordings by pianists.  None by harpsichordists.  And Gilbert just passed recently ...

91aFIV5IafL._SS500_.jpg

More Sibelius from Vänskä.

a3482054380_16.jpg

Morton Feldman Piano Music [5 CD] from Another Timbre.  Possibly the ideal lockdown soundtrack as time stretches...

and in total contrast

R-11378217-1539804771-4298.jpeg.jpg

Gordon Beck Quartet - Experiment In Pops [Major Minor] Mono LP. For when things getter livelier...

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought this FSR CD, since it contains several sides by Don Byas not included in 'The Complete 1946-51 European small group recordings" on Definitive.

R-7772199-1448456257-7336.jpeg.jpg

Physical CD, which is not very usual here these days. Lately I have decided not to expand my CD collection and shelves unless it is absolutely necessary and conversely I am purchasing mp3 downloads... But this is one of  those ocasions when it is absolutely necessary... :) 

On 4/3/2020 at 6:48 AM, Justin V said:

41NISNbFDYL._SY400_.jpg

Peter Tomlinson - Momentum, with Dick Oatts, Anthony Cox and Jimmy Cobb: Amazon must've been clearing off some shelves, because I paid $2.69 after tax.  I have never heard Tomlinson, but that band at that price was a no-brainer.

Thanks for the recommendation though it cost me much more than you paid at the princely sum of $3.59. 

18 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

Thanks for the recommendation though it cost me much more than you paid at the princely sum of $3.59. 

I'm glad to hear that.  That was the album that prompted the thread about lesser-known leaders with well-known sidemen.  I posted some thoughts about it there.  Let me know what you think.

My two latest purchases are:

51orN0cvZBL._SY400_.jpg

This will almost certainly be one for the recommendation thread mentioned above, with a band of Mulgrew Miller, Ron Carter and Lewis Nash.  The cheapest copy was an autographed one.

That led me to search for autographed CDs on eBay.  I picked this one up for $2.50 plus shipping:

618uTKbEbJL._SY400_.jpg

I really like the Hedges album I have, Live at Andy's.  I'm not sure how well-known he was outside of the Milwaukee and Chicago scenes, but Hedges was a fine clarinetist worth remembering. 

Edited by Justin V

3 hours ago, Justin V said:

I'm glad to hear that.  That was the album that prompted the thread about lesser-known leaders with well-known sidemen.  I posted some thoughts about it there.  Let me know what you think.

My two latest purchases are:

51orN0cvZBL._SY400_.jpg

This will almost certainly be one for the recommendation thread mentioned above, with a band of Mulgrew Miller, Ron Carter and Lewis Nash.  The cheapest copy was an autographed one.

The lesser known leader thread is what prompted me to search for it and I enjoyed the Tomlinson disc. I've spun it twice and find his compositions and arrangements thoughtful and easy if that makes sense. For studying with Barry Harris, I didn't pick up on a heavy influence on his sound. Not sure how long the studying took place though.

The Charles Owens is a Joy. I picked it up in Atlanta at a record shop while killing some time. I had read a review, probably on AAJ and when I saw it in the wild picked it up. You will enjoy it indeed. And It does fit in with the Lesser known leader thread. 

I ordered a bunch of Video Arts CDs from Japan from Tommy's Jazz yesterday. I have been thinking about those Renee Rosnes CDs for a while but his offer of free shipping for 10 or more CDs got me to stretch a bit. :)

VACM1248    Ryan. Kisor / Grant Stewart    A NIGHT IN TUNISIA            
VACM1266    Ryan Kisor    This is Ryan            
VACM1272    Grant Stewart    Tenor And Soul       
VACM1282    Grant Stewart    Estate   
VACM1306    Manhattan Jazz Quintet    Someday My Prince Will Come         
VACM7078    Manhattan Jazz Quintet    Blue Bossa    
VACM7079    Manhattan Jazz Quintet    Take the A Train                  
VACY1032   Renee Rosnes & Ray Drummond - Beautiful Friendship
VACY1030    Renee Rosnes    Letter To Evans  
VACY1038    Renee Rosnes - Time For Love      
VACY3003    McCoy Tyner    PRELUDE AND SONATA