What music did you buy today?

tonym

As already mentioned in the Bandcamp thread, I went a little wild and ordered 4 albums by Alexander Hawkins, including Unit[e] and No Now is So.

I also picked up some digital downloads from Eugene Chadbourne: The Lost Eddie Chatterbox Sessions (which is basically Chadbourne on solo steel guitar playing jazz standards (so a real departure for him)) and Jungle Cookies, which is a more typical experimental sound collage.  They can be purchased here -- https://eugenechadbourne-documentation.squarespace.com/?category=digital+downloads

I'm tempted by Chadbourne's Roll Over Berlusconi, but this is only available as a vinyl + mp3 download on Bandcamp, and the shipping price of the vinyl to Canada (or the US) is on the steep side.  I would definitely order just the download if that becomes available down the road.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's a hell of a line up.  I just checked how it's configured on the individual discs - very interesting indeed. 

One to seriously think about for when my bust CD player's back in action post-lockdown

Usually these boxes from Not Two take about a month. I’m thoroughly enjoying the Wooden Box. Maybe a bit traditional (some standard Brotzmann duos with Nilssen-Love - very good but not otherworldly) but the disc with Guy & Leandre together with other musicians added is pretty great. There are also 3 or 4 various trio or quartet circa 20 minutes or so pieces that are terrific. Plus it’s the most attractive box set I own.

• 2 weeks later...

Very excited to find out about this one, and score a US-located copy in short order:

Eddie Swanston, Treasures

Most important member of the group is Bubba Brooks, but Al Casey is on guitar, drummer is Kalil Mahdi who replaced Bill Dowdy in the Three Sounds, and does anyone recognize the leader?  He played organ on one of the Ike Quebec 45s sessions, as well as records with Armstrong and Eddie Jefferson too. Hopefully this lives up to the reputations of the band members. 

Also scored what seems to be a very rare Hal Singer recording from around 1970. Curious enough to go for a cassette copy, seems to be limited more or less to African distribution and never on CD.

swanston with Bubba.jpg

Annotation 2020-07-02 074402.jpg