What music did you buy today?

tonym

A couple LPs that I just ordered via Discogs:

R-4505419-1366793391-4056.jpeg.jpg

Evans' Priestess came out in 1983, but it was recorded six years earlier in 1977.   I didn't know that particular fact, so I inadvertently overlooked the LP when I was compiling my 70s jazz survey.  Argh!  ... Someone -- don't remember who! -- said I should give Priestess a listen.  They liked it better than my Evans-in-the-Seventies choice, Svengali.  We shall see!   

R-1411952-1449860523-6489.jpeg.jpg

I've been enjoying Nightwings, Turrentine's 1977 LP arranged by Claus Ogerman.  So I decided to go back to the well and get West Side Highway.  I think it's their second and final collaboration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/3/2020 at 2:38 AM, BFrank said:

That's on my list. She's really good!

I also ordered this and I’m into it just as I am the first one.

I’m still angry I missed their 2 set shows @ Jazz Gallery last year. It will NOT happen again. As much as I love Mary, Tomeka might be on a different plane. Last time I saw her with Taylor Ho Bynum’s 9 piece, she was a highlight among highlights within that extraordinary band. 

3 hours ago, djcavanagh said:

Do they have many second hand cds? 

Not at Kings X, they tend to be at Portobello. They're website has recently listed a lot of second hand cds. Look for 'one off' listing

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Just been there, and I can see that. They have redone one whole side of the shop so that it is all second hand jazz vinyl. Reasonable prices too. 

Did you indulge?

12 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Not at Kings X, they tend to be at Portobello. They're website has recently listed a lot of second hand cds. Look for 'one off' listing

Did you indulge?

Oh yes. I was my birthday, so guilt free stuff.

I picked up How Deep / How High by Warne Marsh and Sal Mosca, In Sommerhausen by Marion Brown,  a tatty but decently priced Have No Fear by Von Freeman, Unpredictability of Predictability by Jerome Cooper and Tenor Conclave. 

As you say, it would have been easy to have bought that much again. Impressive for such a small shop.

The guy at the desk said that a lot came from the founder of the original shop's own collection, and that they'd made the decision to change the focus of the King's Cross shop because rare jazz vinyl is selling again. 

They had some fairly serious stuff up on the walls. Early Wadada Leo Smith / Alabama Feeling, etc.; records I was surprised to see. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Oh yes. I was my birthday, so guilt free stuff.

I picked up How Deep / How High by Warne Marsh and Sal Mosca, In Sommerhausen by Marion Brown,  a tatty but decently priced Have No Fear by Von Freeman, Unpredictability of Predictability by Jerome Cooper and Tenor Conclave. 

As you say, it would have been easy to have bought that much again. Impressive for such a small shop.

The guy at the desk said that a lot came from the founder of the original shop's own collection, and that they'd made the decision to change the focus of the King's Cross shop because rare jazz vinyl is selling again. 

They had some fairly serious stuff up on the walls. Early Wadada Leo Smith / Alabama Feeling, etc. Records I was surprised to see. 

Nice. Sommerhausen is a great album, as is the Cooper. I was trying to convince the staff member when I was there that the Marzette ESP was worth the prices ticket.

Thanks for not buying the Braxton/Roscoe for which I hope to return this weekend!

Interesting to hear about the source and also the reorientation - I remember the downstairs Portobello shop which had tons of secondhand vinyl in the 80s.

Happy Birthday+1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

That's an incredibly focused shopping list. 

Yeah I figured might as well get them while I know they’re available. I ordered Turtle Bird and Voices of the Spirit from Downtown Music Gallery as well but haven’t had the best of luck completing orders with them lately  

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ll check him out / anyone playing with Toyozumi has my attention as did the clip posted above. I’m in a free jazz saxophone mode lately so it seems Countryman will fit right in.

I think you’ll enjoy any of these. Preludes and Prepositions and Blue Incarnations are favorites so far but I’ve only got 6 titles on hand. The other 5 should be here any day. 

LPs from a Sunday afternoon run at a local shop:

New-LPs-2020-08-16.jpg

Michel Petrucciani - Note'n Notes (Owl)
This was the only Petrucciani Owl release that I didn't have, so I was happy to stumble across it.

Al Haig & Jamil Nasser - Expressly Ellington (Spotlite) 
Late career Al Haig is very under-rated, IMO.  I've streamed this via YT.  It'll be nice to hear it in higher fidelity.

Jimmy McGriff - Portrait (Blue Note)
A 2-LP compilation of Blue Note & Solid State tracks from the brief Sonny Lester/Blue Note partnership. Appears to have been released in Germany only, per discogs.

Johnny Hammond - The Prophet (Kudu)
Arrangements by Pee Wee Ellis.  I usually dig his work for CTI & Kudu. 

Edited by HutchFan

Teddy Edwards - Sunset Eyes, West Coast Classics CD reissue with bonus tracks

Bill Charlap - Stardust, CD trib to Hoagy

Jimmy Ponder, Come On Down, CD on Muse

Ben WEebster, Meet You at the Fair, Impulse! CD reissue with bonuses

Lou Donaldson - Say it Loud!, CD reissue on Water (why hasn't the take of Red Top from this session ever been added as a bonus?)

All for a grand total of $25, no sales tax in Oregon.

Still haven't finished listening to the last two batches.

8 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

Gregory Porter - All Rise from my local store today. Showed in stock on their site and I popped in and out quick before work. Another fantastic album by Mr. Porter. 

I didn't realise that was out yet. Need to get a copy quickly. Love Mr Porter's music so pleased to hear you report it's up to usual standard