What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent yesterday on a final trip round North London record shops before further lockdown restrictions are reintroduced in London.

I picked up Live At Mintons by Eddie Lockjaw Davis / Jimmy Griffin and Raw Materials and Residuals by Julius Hemphill at one, and a copy of Creative Music Orchestra by Anthony Braxton at the other. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Blimey - is Tier 2 affecting London shops that much?

Just bought a copy of the CD version of the Larry Young Mosaic. I have 1 CD of this from Mosaic and it sounds very good on my system and also the full LP version and thought it would be good to, as well as having the LPs, also to have a full digital Mosaic for CD and steaming convenience. One of my very favourite Mosaics so it deserves this 5-star multi-format treatment !

Never been over-happy with the compressed sound of those Conns. Superficially they can sound impressive but I find the coherence, timing and panning can be off at times. Mosaic’s treatment is straight-ahead and true.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I spent yesterday on a final trip round North London record shops before further lockdown restrictions are reintroduced in London.

I picked up Live At Mintons by Eddie Lockjaw Davis / Jimmy Griffin and Raw Materials and Residuals by Julius Hemphill at one, and a copy of Creative Mutrip sic Orchestra by A at the other

Where did you go? I'm wondering if I should do similar soon. Yo Yo have tweeted some nice stock but their prices hurt

'Raw Materials...' is a fave and the Braxton is a blast in more than one meaning

16 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Blimey - is Tier 2 affecting London shops that much?

It will be tier 3 soon, I suspect. Shop now!

Edited by mjazzg

50 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yo Yo have tweeted some nice stock but their prices hurt

No kidding - I have just checked their site (new to me) and just picking myself off of the floor with the shock of it all. £100 for a bog standard UA press of ‘The Congregation’. Totally ridiculous.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Where did you go? I'm wondering if I should do similar soon. Yo Yo have tweeted some nice stock but their prices hurt

Alan's in East Finchley and then The Little Record Shop in Hornsey. Definitely a different experience to the Hackney Hypsters. The difference in price is pretty remarkable.

The Hornsey one, which is where I got the Braxton, I'd recommend at the moment. Alan's has a lot of new jazz in, mostly in the Soul Jazz or smoother end of the market. Lots of Jack McDuff etc. Only about a quarter had made it to the shelves though so perhaps worth checking in. 

I find Yo Yo a bit of a mix. I think that they overprice what they think they'll sell. The stuff that doesn't make it to the website is sometumes more moderate. 

36 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Alan's in East Finchley and then The Little Record Shop in Hornsey. Definitely a different experience to the Hackney Hypsters. The difference in price is pretty remarkable.

The Hornsey one, which is where I got the Braxton, I'd recommend at the moment. Alan's has a lot of new jazz in, mostly in the Soul Jazz or smoother end of the market. Lots of Jack McDuff etc. Only about a quarter had made it to the shelves though so perhaps worth checking in. 

I find Yo Yo a bit of a mix. I think that they overprice what they think they'll sell. The stuff that doesn't make it to the website is sometumes more moderate. 

I love the Little Record Shop. My local, less than a mile away, but I don't go nearly enough as I always end up spending so much.

I like the no internet approach and the eccentric opening hours. The selection is usually interesting at the very least and prices not too mad either. Maybe I'll go tomorrow...

I've never been to Alan's which is daft really.

There's a couple in Palmer's Green too

36 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I love the Little Record Shop. My local, less than a mile away, but I don't go nearly enough as I always end up spending so much.

I like the no internet approach and the eccentric opening hours. The selection is usually interesting at the very least and prices not too mad either. Maybe I'll go tomorrow...

I've never been to Alan's which is daft really.

There's a couple in Palmer's Green too

Alan's is fun. It is an old fashioned record shop experience and the man himself is very nice and chatty, which is a change. Not an easy trip if you're based in Hornsey though. 

Are the Palmer's Green ones RDA and Merlin? 

20 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Alan's is fun. It is an old fashioned record shop experience and the man himself is very nice and chatty, which is a change. Not an easy trip if you're based in Hornsey though. 

Are the Palmer's Green ones RDA and Merlin? 

Yes, those two. Merlin makes me smile, piles of stock, apparent disorder and no prices on some.

In Wood Green so Alan's is a bit awkward but I should make the effort, couple of buses probably. 

• 2 weeks later...