What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My most recent buys:

R-12184504-1540424151-1545.jpeg.jpg

Besides having the three stray tracks from the session that makes up the second volume, the five tracks with Philly Joe are fantastic.  I've realized that I need all of Hope's leader dates.  I have 6.R-5257046-1534723592-4453.jpeg.jpg

This has been on my list forever.  I like Freeman's session on the Capitol Mosaic, so this should be good.

R-1350591-1315613051.jpeg.jpg

Another one that has long been on my list.  I have no Lasha leader dates.  I thought of him when listening to Hubert Laqs last night.  Dusty Groove was selling a new copy of their CD reissue for $6.99, so carpe diem.

R-8207350-1457157932-6366.jpeg.jpg

I ordered a signed copy of the Jamal CD/DVD from his site.  I saw this edition of his band twice around the time of his subsequent release, Saturday Morning, so this will be a pleasant reminder.

Edited by Justin V

16 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

A last pre-lockdown treat:  A copy of the LP reissue of Horace Tapscott's The Call and the book Free Jazz In Japan: A Personal History by Teruto Soejima, from Cafe OTO's new books wall. 

No Smooth Jazz? Oto probably not the best source...

I'm interested in that book too

My wallet took a hit. I noticed that Dusty Groove has a handful of the SF Jazz Collective sets not only available but at great prices and grabbed those that I did not have, and added a few "forthcoming" to my Watch List. Perhaps these are being repressed? I also noticed that Amazon had a few more (pricier) newly arrived and purchased two of those. I will soon only lack 3 of their releases.

Latest acquisitions:

- Chris Hopkins, Dan Barrett & Engelbert Wrobel - Harlem 2000 (Nagel Heyer)

- Echoes of Swing - The Fusion (EoS Productions)

- Chris Hopkins Meets The Jazz Kangaroos -Live! Vol. 1 (EoSP)

Preordered:

-Dexter Gordon Quartet with Tete- Montmartre 1964 (Storyville)

-and the Barney Wilen - Tete Montoliu concert on Elemental Music 

AMM : An Unintended Legacy - 3 CD box of 3 of the 5 2015/16 concerts with Prevost, Tilbury & Rowe

3 Nights @ Cafe Oto - 3 CD’s plus DVD documenting the core trio of Evan Parker, John Edwards & Eddie Prevost from 2013. Schlippenbach joins on night 2 & a trombonist I was unfamiliar with joins on night 3.

Been listening quite a bit the last few weeks since I received them. Wonderful on all counts - especially the AMM concerts.

matchless recordings

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

new Dave Rempis CD on Aerophonic: Stringers & Struts

I’m getting near ordering the last 4 Rempis CD’s from his label. Problem is I also have a long list of Astral Spirits CD’s to order on bandcamp. Can’t decide which to order first!!! Plus I’m looking at filing in my Okkadisk collection with the missing 2-3 KV Transatlantic Band recordings I really want to hear. 

5 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Treasure trove ....

Most of it will be new to me.  I only have a "greatest hits" CD of their Stax recordings.  Just never got around to buying any of the individual albums, so there will be plenty of "new" music for me. :)

I got the CD version, not the vinyl version pictured.

4 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

Most of it will be new to me.  I only have a "greatest hits" CD of their Stax recordings.  Just never got around to buying any of the individual albums, so there will be plenty of "new" music for me. :)

I got the CD version, not the vinyl version pictured.

Good music is awaiting you ....

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

duaneiac, be sure to share your impressions of those Staples Singers records. 

I've only got their Greatest Hits compilation.

But that big set looks awful tempting!

;)

First impressions:  The liner notes are a little disappointing.  Mavis & Pervis Staples are both still with us, so it would have been great if they could have been interviewed for the liner notes or written an introduction or something.  The liner notes do provide a concise history of the family/group and some info about the recording of the individual albums.  The writers indulge in a bit more "opinion" about the music than I would like.  They deem "If You're Ready (Come Go With Me)" to be a "less successful" song because it "holistically retreads" "I'll Take You There".  Well, no duh.  And "My Sweet Lord" holistically retreaded "He's So Fine", but both are great songs. 

Lots of interesting photos in the book and I bet they look even greater in the LP-sized format.

The packaging finds the CDs inserted inside  LP sleeve reproductions, including gatefold where needed.  I recently got a John Prine Asylum Records boxed set and with that, for each album they have a fold-out paper insert with the original credits and lyrics as printed on the album.  Nice for us older listeners whose eyesight is not quite up to reading the tiny print on CD sized LP reproductions.  I wish that would be the industry standard, but I guess there are plenty of lyrics sites out there if one really needs that info.

This afternoon, I listened to, in order:

The Staple Swingers --  This had the hit "Heavy Makes You Happy".  Many of the other tracks seemed to fade out just when they were really grooving.  I'm not against fadeouts in general, but too often the promise of a song here was left unfulfilled for me.

Be Altitude:  Respect Yourself --   In addition to the title track, this album also had "I'll Take You There".  Those are the strongest tracks, but it' still a good album overall.

City In The Sky -- I liked this one best of all.  The liner note writers say that the songs on here were originally recorded for what was going to be a double album release.  Instead the tracks were divided up between the Be What You Are album and this one.  They claim his album "suffers a bit from this approach".  You couldn't tell it by me.  The Singers and the musicians were really grooving here.  If this is second-rate compared to BWYA, then I look forward to hearing that album