• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Pim said:

Harold Land - The Peace Maker 

Bobby Hutcherson - Patterns 

Patterns is really difficult to obtain these days. Managed to find a copy trough proxy shopping for 22 euros

I think both of those records are wonderful.  You're in for a treat!  :g

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I think both of those records are wonderful.  You're in for a treat!  :g

Yeah can’t wait to spin them :) Was looking for them for quite a while. They have to be shipped from Japan so I have to be patient...

Ordered some LPs from Euclid today:

R-2644258-1310678195.jpeg.jpg

R-13088021-1547841944-1075.jpeg.jpg

Two relatively early Paquito albums, post-Irakere.

R-2831325-1311222725.jpeg.jpg

This Lee Konitz LP is an "upgrade" from emusic.com downloads to vinyl.  

R-1165512-1320830901.jpeg.jpg

This Bill Hardman album was produced by Bob Porter, always a good sign.  After only having heard Walter Bishop's "Coral Keys" from this LP, I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of it.

Edited by HutchFan

I made my first visit today to Houston's Cactus Music in a year.  Felt good to browse in a real record store again.  Everyone wore masks, and they asked customers to hand-sanitize before shopping.  Pretty good haul:

Paul Winter Consort - Icarus (Living Music reissue)

Oregon/Elvin Jones Together (Vanguard)

Junior Mance - Live At The Top (Guest Artist: David Newman) (Atlantic)

Herbie Mann Live At Newport (Atlantic)

Johnny Hammond Smith - Imagination (Warwick)

And for 97 cents each:

Keith Jarrett - Spirits (ECM)

Bennie Wallace - Twilight Time (Blue Note)

Sam Most - Flute Flight (Xanadu)

• 2 weeks later...

Just snagged this LP off ebay:

R-15384117-1590664339-8612.jpeg.jpg

Hermeto Pascoal E Grupo - Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca (Happy Hour/Som Da Gente, 1984)

Hermeto's most well known album is probably Slaves Mass (Warner Brothers, 1977), a superb, strange, and deliciously uncategorizable record.  But I think his recordings from the following decade -- with his "Grupo" -- are even better.  The band, which came together in 1981, consisted of Hermeto, Jovino Santos Neto (kybd, fl), Itiberê Zwarg (b, tu), Carlos Malta (sax, fl), Márcio Bahia (d, perc), and Pernambuco (perc).  The group stayed together for twelve years.  Since they rehearsed constantly with Pascoal serving as a mentor and quasi-guru (in an almost Sun Ra-like way), they developed near-telepathic levels of interaction and memorized massive quantities of Pascoal's music. 

The four astonishing albums that they made during the 1980s -- Hermeto Pascoal & Grupo (1982), Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca (1984), Brasil Universo (1986), and Só Não Toca Quem Não Quer (1987) -- deserve to be MUCH more well known.  Finding this music on CD or LP (at a reasonable price) can be a bit of a challenge.  Fortunately, most of it is available on the internet.  To listen to Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca, click here. 

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Hermeto Pascoal E Grupo - Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca (Happy Hour/Som Da Gente, 1984)

Hermeto's most well known album is probably Slaves Mass (Warner Brothers, 1977), a superb, strange, and deliciously uncategorizable record.  But I think his recordings from the following decade -- with his "Grupo" -- are even better.  The band, which came together in 1981, consisted of Hermeto, Jovino Santos Neto (kybd, fl), Itiberê Zwarg (b, tu), Carlos Malta (sax, fl), Márcio Bahia (d, perc), and Pernambuco (perc).  The group stayed together for twelve years.  Since they rehearsed constantly with Pascoal serving as a mentor and quasi-guru (in an almost Sun Ra-like way), they developed near-telepathic levels of interaction and memorized massive quantities of Pascoal's music. 

The four astonishing albums that they made during the 1980s -- Hermeto Pascoal & Grupo (1982), Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca (1984), Brasil Universo (1986), and Só Não Toca Quem Não Quer (1987) -- deserve to be MUCH more well known.  Finding this music on CD or LP (at a reasonable price) can be a bit of a challenge.  Fortunately, most of it is available on the internet.  To listen to Lagoa Da Canoa Município De Arapiraca, click here. 

He's someone I know I need to investigate more.  I know 'Slaves Mass' but need to know others.  thanks for this mini primer HutchFan.  i want a copy of the one you've just bought if only for the cover

R-2756053-1536415848-4221.jpeg.jpg

Just got me a copy.  Sampled it on YouTube and had to follow your lead @HutchFan

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I’ve never heard of this group, although I love Slaves Mass. of the four you mention, which is your favourite? (i.e., where to start?)

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I’ve never heard of this group, although I love Slaves Mass. of the four you mention, which is your favourite? (i.e., where to start?)

Só Não Toca Quem Não Quer was licensed by Intuition (in Germany) and Capitol (in the U.S.). That makes it the easiest to find of the four, and it's probably my favorite Hermeto.

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Just got me a copy.  Sampled it on YouTube and had to follow your lead @HutchFan

:tup :tup :tup

Edited by HutchFan

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Found that one a while back in a totally random/lucky browse in a suburban Half-Price, somehow a buttload full of Brazilian LPs - not America issues either, either, OG label stuff - had ended up in the "International" section there. A totally incongruous find, so carpe diem, right?

The thing on that record that really trips me out, to this day, is the one where he plays around with the recording of the soccer announcer. That is just...genius. And we should call it what it is - sampling. It's not a dirty word!

Pascoal is somebody to whom I have learned to never pass over.

But, Pascoal-less and ordered pre-dawn this AM was

John Lewis & Mirjana Lewis _______________ CD     
  Chess Game Part 1 -- Based On JS Bach's The Goldberg Variations

John Lewis & Mirjana Lewis _______________ CD     
  Chess Game Part 2 -- Based On JS Bach's The Goldberg Variations

Carter/Schuller/Fine _____________________ LP     
  Eight Etudes & A Fantasy For Woodwind Quartet/Woodwind Quintet/Partita For Wind Quintet -- New York Woodwind Quintet

Carter/Shapero ___________________________ LP     
  Sonata For Flute, Oboe, Cello & Harpsichord/String Quartet No 1 -- Anabel Brieff/Josef Marx/Lorin Bernsohn/Robert Conant/Robert Koff/Paul Bellam/Walter Trampler/Charles McCracken

Porter/Carter ____________________________ LP     
  String Quartet No 8/Eight Etudes & A Fantasy For Woodwind Quartet -- Stanley Quartet/New York Woodwind Quintet