What music did you buy today?

tonym

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Chicago for a few weeks.  Yesterday, I spent a good bit of the time kicking around in record stores.

Here are a few things I bought:

91gam-TuThL._SS500_.jpg

Richard Beirach - The Breathing of Statues (CMP, 1982)
I have the domestic LP issue of this album -- licensed by the short-lived Magenta label -- but I'd never even seen a German CMP original until yesterday.  Normally, I'm not much of a player in the incremental sound improvement game, but I made an exception in this case.  Since it's one of the finest records that Beirach ever made (IMO) and Beirach is one of my favorite pianists, I was HAPPY to scoop it up.  My gut tells me that the pristine German vinyl will be a big improvement in sound over the Magenta LP.  (The AQ of all other CMP records I've heard has been wunderbar.) 

R-14381770-1573521722-9115.jpeg.jpg

Alma Con Alma: The Heart & Soul of Celia Cruz & Tito Puente (Tico, 1970)
Craft LP reissue.  Tito Puente put out a TON of records; he was crazy-prolific -- but I'm discovering that he was also consistently interesting, a superb musician.  

81O0j+Z4Y0L._SS500_.jpg

Sonny Rollins - Dancing in the Dark (Milestone, 1987)
CD.  A Sonny Milestone that I didn't have.

61iJrcpWrtL._SX500_.jpg

Steve Coleman and Five Elements - Sine Die (Pangea, 1988)
CD.  I've been exploring Coleman's beginnings, back in the 80s.  Really digging what I'm hearing.  Vital music.

71whwzMk6zL._SS500_.jpg

Mads Vinding Trio with Alex Riel & Enrico Pieranunzi - The Kingdom (Where Nobody Dies) (Stunt, 1997)
CD.  Love Vinding. Love Pieranunzi.  Easy decision.

71YUkdPyATL._SS500_.jpg

The Don Rendell / Ian Carr Quintet - Change Is (Columbia, 1969)
BGO CD reissue.  I've been meaning to check out this group; I'm especially interested in the latter releases with Michael Garrick.  So I guess I'll begin with the last one and work my way backwards.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-527966-1589363387-5792.jpeg.jpg

The new vinyl reissue on Decca.

You got that sharpish. Mine's in the post from Presto so they claim anyway.

Does it have a download code? I've read mention of in some listings

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Went on a jaunt today and found a couple of records that I've always loved but hadn't seen in the wild before:

R-10946809-1506991414-2668.jpeg.jpg

R-576276-1398814232-9125.jpeg.jpg

R-2771846-1420196296-7998.jpeg.jpg

Nice haul, three crackers. Where did you find them?

Yes, ordered for overnight delivery. Both ‘Space Walk’ and the double do come with the download voucher. Thanks for mentioning - completely overlooked that.

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Went on a jaunt today and found a couple of records that I've always loved but hadn't seen in the wild before:

R-10946809-1506991414-2668.jpeg.jpg

The only negative I find with that 2LP version is that the two single CDs (and the Mosaic) include some very good extra tracks.

53 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

In The Little Record Shop on Tottenham Lane in Hornsey, which if I recall rightly is your neck of the woods.

It is. Nice little record shop indeed

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Roland Kirk on Gearbox Records - Ronnie Scott’s, 1963. With Stan Tracey, Malcolm Cecil and Ronnie Stephenson.

Just done the same

59 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, ordered for overnight delivery. Both ‘Space Walk’ and the double do come with the download voucher. Thanks for mentioning - completely overlooked that.

That teaches me to be a cheapskate and choose 2nd class postage. It will be good to have a mobile copy.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Wasn’t planning on getting this one but on the evidence of the sound samples the music and tangible club atmosphere is brilliant. With Gearbox doing the honours, can’t go wrong !

Anything by Kirk of that vintage is a must for me but Gearbox is definitely a bonus

8 hours ago, bresna said:

I ordered an autographed copy of Ron Carter's Golden Striker Trio LP from his website. Looking forward to spinning this later.

Ron Carter – Golden Striker (Live At Theaterstübchen, Kassel) (2021, 180g,  Gatefold, Signed, Vinyl) - Discogs

Picked that one up as part of the RSD purchases. As it is raining today, good day to play it as well as the Harold Land. Good of Carter to do this signed edition for In-and-Out. Have been hearing good reports of their Rolf Kuhn 2x45 too.

• 3 weeks later...

At Half Price Books yesterday, Benjamin Grosvenor's Decca debut album, with a stunning Gaspard de la Nuit. Probably will be going back today or tomorrow for his second album "Dances" and a 1964 London LP set of La Centerola (sp?) with Simionato and Bruscantini -- this stimulated in part by Jon Vickers' statement that Simionato was the best singer with whom he ever shared the stage. 

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Nice trip to seaside town with a couple of record shops

R-1401403-1577554259-9496.jpeg.jpg

R-3244971-1391965783-2850.jpeg.jpg

It's important to support the local economy after all

Interesting - a place I was in this weekend had that ‘Statements’ on Philips. Not sure if it was a UK issue. They also had the 2LP ‘The Young Rabbits’.

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting - a place I was in this weekend had that ‘Statements’ on Philips. Not sure if it was a UK issue. They also had the 2LP ‘The Young Rabbits’.

Both worth the low prices paid. A Philips would have been preferable but this edition sounds OK, good album