What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, paulfromcamden said:

Longtime lurker :-)

I never realised RR was previously a branch of Honest Jons - thanks for posting the article. I spent many happy Saturday mornings rifling through the racks downstairs!

No probs, glad that you enjoyed it !  I remember the place mainly from 1981-82. It was definitely Honest Jon’s when I arrived and might have made the transition to Rhythm by the time I had left, not sure.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...

I got the four volumes of Charlie Parker's ten inch Savoy albums of a blog yesterday, so I was looking forward to listening to them today.

Well, I'm glad that never, in sixty-odd years of buying jazz records, I've never once thought of spending any money on these recordings. Compared to the Dial material, which I like a lot, they're very, very cool and unexciting - even 'Now's the time' and his only hit single, 'Barbados'. I may have another go at them sometime, but not too soon.

I also got a bunch of other stuff, all of which I like a lot.

Orquesta Ritmo Oriental - Areito 1975

R-8403335-1460922081-7682.jpeg.jpg

Orquesta Ritmo Oriental - El ritmo de la Ritmo - Areito 1995

El Ritmo De La Ritmo album cover

Nemours Jean-Baptiste - A musical tour of Haiti - Ansonia 1960

R-6596718-1422881436-2556.jpeg.jpg

Celina Gonzalez - Al Guateque con Celina - Egrem

R-3428091-1531152684-9322.jpeg.jpg

Lord Nelson - This is Lord Nelson - Camille 1973

This Is Lord Nelson (LP, Album) album cover

And this morning, my man for African albums sent me

Babani Kone - Barika - Mali K7 1998

and

Pathe Moloko - Bhadomo bhadomo - Gris Gris 1998 (Already had this on a K7, so the scan of it is below)

MG

Babani Kone Barika front.jpg

Bhadomo Bhadomo front.jpg

First physical album I've bought in quite a while, but you can't get it as a DL

Osdalgia Lesmes - Sones y pasiones - Mimisma Productions

Sones Y Pasiones by Osdalgia (2013-12-13)

I got her previous live album off a blog and she was so great, I spent 19 quid (including postage) to get this. And it's as brilliant as Osdalgia Contigo Live. This is live, too, in Yerba Buena, Puerto Rico.

And my GOD!!!! The price has risen to 47.18 GBP + post since I ordered it! Damn lucky hit that was.

MG

Tommy's latest E-maI offer is from Metropolitan Records so I ordered:

Haunted Melodies- Music of Rahsaan Roland Kirk   MR 1114
Sterling Place All Stars- featuring Vincent Herring  MR 1117
Memories of New York- Through Jazz and Photography MR 1118
A Jazz Christmas- That Special Time of Year     MR 1125

On 19/09/2021 at 9:49 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Are these tapes?

On 19/09/2021 at 9:49 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Yeah, they were originally issued as K7s. The guy I used to get them from back in the nineties, has ripped his favourite stuff to CDR and is flogging it at £10 a go. I'm getting them cheaper because I only want downloads as I've no more room for CDs or LPs. It's easier to get them from him than to rip my own K7s.

Today's newie is one I didn't get back in the day

Zani Diabate & the Super Djata Band - Ni Zani mani - Oubien Productions 1991

MG

folder.jpg

Bloomin' brilliant! I could have been listening to this for thirty years if I'd been on the ball!

On 9/25/2021 at 2:18 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yeah, they were originally issued as K7s. The guy I used to get them from back in the nineties, has ripped his favourite stuff to CDR and is flogging it at £10 a go. I'm getting them cheaper because I only want downloads as I've no more room for CDs or LPs. It's easier to get them from him than to rip my own K7s.

Today's newie is one I didn't get back in the day

Zani Diabate & the Super Djata Band - Ni Zani mani - Oubien Productions 1991

MG

folder.jpg

Bloomin' brilliant! I could have been listening to this for thirty years if I'd been on the ball!

Zani Diabate is superb. I have two CDs and 2 LPs of music from him. He seems lightly recorded, or the music is just hard to access.

What may be the final Zani Diabate recording is available for download here: https://kskrecords.bandcamp.com/album/kaboko-zani

22 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Zani Diabate is superb. I have two CDs and 2 LPs of music from him. He seems lightly recorded, or the music is just hard to access.

What may be the final Zani Diabate recording is available for download here: https://kskrecords.bandcamp.com/album/kaboko-zani

I see no information that would lead me to a correct conclusion about this album: no personnel; nothing to indicate where it was recorded, or why, or by whom. Do you have any details?

System Krush have issued an apparently well-meaning statement " a fair-trade principle, focused on the preservation and promotion of traditional music from West Africa. By bringing this music to the world market", which doesn't incline me to buy their stuff. I'm greatly in favour of the exploitative model for record companies as their owners take care that the music they produce meets the needs of the community in which the artists live. Recordings made for Europeans don't make it, as far as I'm concerend.

I see that Lobi Traore, whom I also like a lot, has made three albums for them. Again you can't see who's with him, where, when or why the album was made. This, however, was clearly made for a local audience.

R-7757475-1472420144-8068.jpeg.jpg

(The Bar Bozo album seems to me the equivalent of a Prestige album, compared to a Blue Note.)

MG

1 hour ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I see no information that would lead me to a correct conclusion about this album: no personnel; nothing to indicate where it was recorded, or why, or by whom. Do you have any details?

System Krush have issued an apparently well-meaning statement " a fair-trade principle, focused on the preservation and promotion of traditional music from West Africa. By bringing this music to the world market", which doesn't incline me to buy their stuff. I'm greatly in favour of the exploitative model for record companies as their owners take care that the music they produce meets the needs of the community in which the artists live. Recordings made for Europeans don't make it, as far as I'm concerend.

I see that Lobi Traore, whom I also like a lot, has made three albums for them. Again you can't see who's with him, where, when or why the album was made. This, however, was clearly made for a local audience.

R-7757475-1472420144-8068.jpeg.jpg

(The Bar Bozo album seems to me the equivalent of a Prestige album, compared to a Blue Note.)

MG

I can answer those questions.

Kanaga System Krush was a U.S. based West Coast label which formerly issued CDs and LPs. It seems to have failed as a business in that regard, and the several Bandcamp downloads are the only partial remnant of the label. It is not a "produced" label. They traveled to Mali and recorded the musicians in their home environment. Most of the CDs I have on this label are quite good, with my favorite releases being by Lobi Traore, Zani Diabate and Madou Diabate (kora).

The Zani Diabate  is an acoustic guitar duo recording with Moudy Sissoko, and vocals from Oumou Diabate. It was recorded in February of 2005, in Abdoul Doumbia's family compound in Bamako. (Not his last recording, I was mistaken on that point.) Very good one.

Moving on to Lobi Traore, Bwati Kono (Raw Electic Blues from Bamako) is a live recording recorded in 2007 and 2008 at two music venues in Bamako. Indoors at Espace Academie and outdoors at "Hotel.' This is with his working band (bass guitar, drums, rhythm guitar, djembe, and balaphon on a few tracks. This is a great album, perhaps not quite as intense as Bamako Nights. This was on CD and then an LP was released with part of the material; I was hoping for a volume 2 with extra tracks but the label failed soon thereafter.

Barra Coura is another acoustic guitar duo recording from February 2006, recorded in the same location as the Zani Diabate. Also very good. Lamine Soumano is the second guitarist. One track adds Adama Couloubaly on Bolon.

Bamako Nights is on Glitterbeat, recorded live in 1995 by Yves Werner. The band is Alou Dembele, bass, Binke Traore, bass, Yaya Dembele, djembe, and Samba Sissoko, drums. A great record.

All of these are in finely recorded sound.

30 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

What's the other one? WoE fills quite a specific ecosystem, although I rarely buy from there.

Just found the card they gave me 'VDS', only web presence is Instagram. Had a good few hundred all Japanese stock. Jazz, Funk and other sections I didn't look at. Jazz was 50s through to new releases. Two I bought are NM, looked a pretty good set up.

I stumbled across it whilst killing time after picking purchases up from WoE. They had the Texture Sextet which I have been after for ages.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Just found the card they gave me 'VDS', only web presence is Instagram. Had a good few hundred all Japanese stock. Jazz, Funk and other sections I didn't look at. Jazz was 50s through to new releases. Two I bought are NM, looked a pretty good set up.

I stumbled across it whilst killing time after picking purchases up from WoE. They had the Texture Sextet which I have been after for ages.

Apparently it's a branch of a Tokyo shop. I may accidentally find myself there over the weekend.

24 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Apparently it's a branch of a Tokyo shop. I may accidentally find myself there over the weekend.

That makes a lot of sense. They said their next stock was due end Nov and would be 1500 so worth keeping an eye on

Accidents do happen...