tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 31-10-2021 at 3:04 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Hope things are okay

oh yes, much better...

I've been catching up on Wadada Leo Smith from zero recently, quite a project and I haven't decided how ambitious I want to be... after getting Sacred Ceremonies a few weeks ago, I now got the two new releases on TUM (w Iyer/DeJohnette + Chicago Symphonies), the Great Lakes 2CD, the Kabell Years box, Divine Love, Tabligh, Ten Freedom Summers, the ECM duo with Vijay Iyer and the NoBusiness Duo w Sabu Toyozumi... more to come...

24 minutes ago, Niko said:

oh yes, much better...

I've been catching up on Wadada Leo Smith from zero recently, quite a project and I haven't decided how ambitious I want to be... after getting Sacred Ceremonies a few weeks ago, I now got the two new releases on TUM (w Iyer/DeJohnette + Chicago Symphonies), the Great Lakes 2CD, the Kabell Years box, Divine Love, Tabligh, Ten Freedom Summers, the ECM duo with Vijay Iyer and the NoBusiness Duo w Sabu Toyozumi... more to come...

Lots of truly great music in that list. You have a treat in store!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Pres and Sweets" (Verve). Heard this rec. Nov.15, 1955 album when it came out and thought that Pres was literally and distressingly quite weak -- indeed he was quite weak when I heard him at a JATP concert  in Chicago in early October 1955 (which came out on LP in the early '80s as "Blues in Chicago"); and he would be hospitalized later in November for alcoholism and other physical and mental ailments, only to return triumphantly early the following year to make "Jazz Giants '56" and "Pres and Teddy." While there are a number of moments on "Pres and Sweets"when his control of the horn falters, yet there are others when his state of near incapacity leads him to carve out strikingly oblique musical solutions. On balance, I find much of what Pres plays here quite moving and, if you will, courageous.

9 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

"Pres and Sweets" (Verve). Heard this rec. Nov.15, 1955 album when it came out and thought that Pres was literally and distressingly quite weak -- indeed he was quite weak when I heard him at a JATP concert  in Chicago in early October 1955 (which came out on LP in the early '80s as "Blues in Chicago"); and he would be hospitalized later in November for alcoholism and other physical and mental ailments, only to return triumphantly early the following year to make "Jazz Giants '56" and "Pres and Teddy." While there are a number of moments on "Pres and Sweets"when his control of the horn falters, yet there are others when his state of near incapacity leads him to carve out strikingly oblique musical solutions. On balance, I find much of what Pres plays here quite moving and, if you will, courageous.

Yes!  The ultimate Pres performance for me in that mold is the alternate take of "You're Getting to Be a Habit With Me" from the February, 1958 session, also with Sweets - extraordinary beauty that Lester probably couldn't have even played if he wasn't in such bad shape.  

A few albums I've ordered in the last week or so:

91AAaahLi4L._SS500_.jpg

Batacumbele - In Concert: Live at the University of Puerto Rico (Montuno, 1988, 2 LPs)
with Angel "Cachete" Maldonado, Giovanni Hidalgo, Anthony Carillo, Eddie "Gua Gua" Rivera, and others

R-4985408-1381384725-5177.jpeg.jpg

Caiman Super All Stars - Super All Star (Caiman, 1984, LP)
with Tito Puente (timb, vib); Paquito D'Rivera (as); Mario Rivera (ts, bs, pic fl); Alfredo "Chocolate" Armenteros (tr); Spanky Davis (tr); Valery Ponomarev (tr); Claudio Roditi (tb); José Rodrigues (tb); Steve Turre (tb); Paquito Pastor (p); Andy Gonzalez (b); Daniel Ponce (cga); Rafael "Felo" Barrio (guiro, vo); Leo González (vo)

51CU3BbPsIL.jpg

Ronnie Cuber - Live at the Blue Note (ProJazz, 1986, CD)

R-3336380-1326315101.jpeg.jpg

Dave Liebman - Time Line (Owl, 1989, CD)

More music prompted by my 80s jazz blog project

Not that I really need much prompting to get new music. ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 6:00 PM, Son-of-a-Weizen said:

Phineas Newborn ‘Jamaica’ lp

Good one. 

On 12/19/2021 at 10:20 PM, HutchFan said:

I'm amazed at how much CD prices continue to fall.  Earlier today, I picked up these CDs in a local shop for a total of $20. 

CD-Buys.png

Didn't even know Michael C

2 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

Good batch. 

Didn't even know Michael Carvin had a leader date. 

Edited by Holy Ghost
spelling

17 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

Good batch. 

Didn't even know Michael Carvin had a leader date.

He's made a few as a leader.  Per wikipedia:

• The Camel (SteepleChase, 1975)
  • Antiquity with Jackie McLean (SteepleChase, 1975)
  • First Time (Muse, 1988)
  • Between Me and You (Muse, 1989)
  • Revelation (Muse, 1991)
  • Each One Teach One (Muse, 1994)
  • Drum Concerto at Dawn (Mapleshade, 1996)
  • Marsalis Music Honors Michael Carvin (Marsalis Music/Rounder, 2006)
  • Flash Forward (Motema, 2014)