What music did you buy today?

tonym

27 minutes ago, Niko said:

:) I got the other five releases from the 80th birthday celebration at TUM but am still resisting here... and I do have to say that the first box I got, the one with Laswell and Graves, is still my favorite by far, followed by the Chicago Symphonies... the remainder is also fine, but it's a lot of cds even without the string quartet box

I have the others too and agree about the Laswell/Graves set although the solo set is special too.  I haven't gone for the drummers duets as I have a number of earlier releases with that format.  I thought the String Qts would be something different, that was my self-justification anyway :rolleyes:

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

always happy to add a new Mangelsdorff to the collection but the clincher is the track by Zagreb Jazz Quartet whose album "With Pain I was Born" is a particular favourite.  thanks @Rabshakehfor posting this recently.

Also looking forward to collecting these from Honest Jon's this week

Primary

Primary

Primary

I'll check out that Zaghreb record as the track was strong.

Who is Kleinschuster?

12 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I'll check out that Zaghreb record as the track was strong.

Who is Kleinschuster?

From the blurb...the samples sound great

" Recorded at the ORF studios in Vienna, where trombonist Erich Kleinschuster ran a very tight house band, a glittering array of guest leaders "

and

" Erich Kleinschuster’s projects and initiatives played a vital role in establishing a spiritual home for jazz in Vienna. The founding of his sextet in 1966 and, in 1968, a jazz department at the Vienna Conservatory, were catalysts for a scene that attracted international stars as well as nurturing the careers of home-grown virtuosos. Many jazz exiles, admired in Europe as they never were in the United States, settled for long periods, carving out new lives on the continent. The recordings in this series – many only recently discovered and presented for their first time on these vinyl editions – provide an illuminating and long overdue testament to one of the unsung forces of modern jazz in Europe."

I suspect @soulpopemight be able to help us?

Edited by mjazzg

The tracks there were previously issued on a couple of GermanAustrian CDs which are difficult to get hold of (and which have been the subject of discussion on this board). Radio material from ORF but of a very good quality and well recorded.

Wallen Bink were offering these 3 sets as a ‘discounted’ bundle.

Updated to say just put in my order too as I had my eye on these. The ‘bundle’ purchase option (in fact all purchase options ) have for some reason suddenly disappeared from the WB site. May be a glitch, a temporary restock/repress or WB on holiday perhaps but not taking any chances so HJ via Royal Mail it is.

Those SABA singles they have put out look pretty cool too.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

From the blurb...the samples sound great

" Recorded at the ORF studios in Vienna, where trombonist Erich Kleinschuster ran a very tight house band, a glittering array of guest leaders "

and

" Erich Kleinschuster’s projects and initiatives played a vital role in establishing a spiritual home for jazz in Vienna. The founding of his sextet in 1966 and, in 1968, a jazz department at the Vienna Conservatory, were catalysts for a scene that attracted international stars as well as nurturing the careers of home-grown virtuosos. Many jazz exiles, admired in Europe as they never were in the United States, settled for long periods, carving out new lives on the continent. The recordings in this series – many only recently discovered and presented for their first time on these vinyl editions – provide an illuminating and long overdue testament to one of the unsung forces of modern jazz in Europe."

I suspect @soulpopemight be able to help us?

Erich Kleinschuster was awell known Austrian trombone player .... he had an own "Jazz Show" on Austrian Radio from the mid60s onwards and was in the position to feature alongside his regular Sextet guest stars like Joe Henderson, Charles Tolliver, Benny Bailey to name a few .... some of these sessions were issued on CD ....

10 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Erich Kleinschuster was awell known Austrian trombone player .... he had an own "Jazz Show" on Austrian Radio from the mid60s onwards and was in the position to feature alongside his regular Sextet guest stars like Joe Henderson, Charles Tolliver, Benny Bailey to name a few .... some of these sessions were issued on CD ....

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I know him from the Art Farmer ‘Gentle Eyes’ on Mainstream. In fact, ‘Soulsides’ from that session is also included in a new version on the double album with Art Farmer.

Those CDs weren’t cheap when they came out and I only ever saw one the once over here. Now pretty well impossible to get - I’ve kept searching. Problem solved now though !

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

I have those CDs. Like them.

So this is one of those "almost embarrassed to say" posts. :)

I was reading a review of one of Art Tatum's group sessions recordings - the one with DeFranco - when I realized that I never got around to buying those group sessions. I've onwed and enjoyed the one with Ben Webster for years (on the XRCD) and I always planned to pick up the box set but never got around to it. So yesterday, I finally grabbed 4 or 5 of the group sessions. I'm actually looking forward to finally hearing them.

On 13-8-2022 at 8:43 PM, bresna said:

So this is one of those "almost embarrassed to say" posts. :)

I was reading a review of one of Art Tatum's group sessions recordings - the one with DeFranco - when I realized that I never got around to buying those group sessions. I've onwed and enjoyed the one with Ben Webster for years (on the XRCD) and I always planned to pick up the box set but never got around to it. So yesterday, I finally grabbed 4 or 5 of the group sessions. I'm actually looking forward to finally hearing them.

They are great, all of them. My favorites are the one with Webster, Benny Carter and Eldridge. But the one that tops them all for me is the trio session with Callender and Jones. Would loved to have heard Tatum play more in this kind of setting with bass and drums.

I'm digging into Cleo Laine's back-catalog:

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Cleo-Laine-Soliloquy.jpg

OTgtNDczNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

I think Laine and her husband, John Dankworth, made some interesting and unique music.  I like how they often used poetry as a jumping-off point.  Of course, that's been done many times before, but not exactly with their combination of ingredients.  Their music is not exactly jazz.  It's not exactly art songs.  It's not exactly theater singing or cabaret.  It's not exactly pop.  It's an odd-but-pleasing mix of all of them, particularly during their peak years. (And what exactly were those 'peak years'?  The 60s and early-70s, I think -- but I'm not sure.  That's something I'm figuring out now.)  Anyway, as someone who's just discovering their music, it's sideways and unexpected.  Good fun.

All of these LP were very inexpensive.  Apparently, Laine's stock isn't on the rise with others as much as it is with me. 

15 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm digging into Cleo Laine's back-catalog:

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Cleo-Laine-Soliloquy.jpg

OTgtNDczNi5qcGVn.jpeg

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

I think Laine and her husband, John Dankworth, made some interesting and unique music.  I like how they often used poetry as a jumping-off point.  Of course, that's been done many times before, but not exactly with their combination of ingredients.  Their music is not exactly jazz.  It's not exactly art songs.  It's not exactly theater singing or cabaret.  It's not exactly pop.  It's an odd-but-pleasing mix of all of them, particularly during their peak years. (And what exactly were those 'peak years'?  The 60s and early-70s, I think -- but I'm not sure.  That's something I'm figuring out now.)  Anyway, as someone who's just discovering their music, it's sideways and unexpected.  Good fun.

All of these LP were very inexpensive.  Apparently, Laine's stock isn't on the rise with others as much as it is with me. 

Re your comment "their music is not exactly jazz", Dankworth and Laine had a big following in this country in the 60s. A colleague who heard me playing this

Cannonball_Adderley_Quintet_in_Chicago.j

remarked, "I don't like this neurotic jazz. I prefer Cleo Laine and John Dankworth". :lol:

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Re your comment "their music is not exactly jazz", Dankworth and Laine had a big following in this country in the 60s. A colleague who heard me playing this remarked, "I don't like this neurotic jazz. I prefer Cleo Laine and John Dankworth". :lol:

That's funny!  I never in a million years could imagine Cannonball's music as "neurotic"!  

20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That's funny!  I never in a million years could imagine Cannonball's music as "neurotic"!  

There's a deep and recurring undercurrent of class/race/etc conflicts/unfamilarities/insecurities/etc. in the "neurotic" comments such as that one, and it is still very much alive and well, not just in jazz, but everywhere we go here in the 21st Century. Sometimes there's even hostility attached to it, unwittingly or otherwise. And it goes the other way too.

Humans are their own worst enemies.

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

There's a deep and recurring undercurrent of class/race/etc conflicts/unfamilarities/insecurities/etc. in the "neurotic" comments such as that one, and it is still very much alive and well, not just in jazz, but everywhere we go here in the 21st Century. Sometimes there's even hostility attached to it, unwittingly or otherwise. And it goes the other way too.

You'll get no disagreement from me on that.  But I would suggest that there's an element of laziness involved too.

It's like going to eat at restaurant specializing in a cuisine that's new to you.  It's different; therefore, it tastes "bad" -- even though you have no real understanding of it.  It's a sort of parochialism, and it's lazy.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that everyone should like everything.  I'm only suggesting that it's better to make informed judgments, approach things with an element of openness and curiosity.  Some things will "take," and some things won't.  But, in either case, we won't be making judgments based on complete ignorance.

Calling Cannonball "neurotic"?  That's ignorant.

I put laziness and ignorance in the same taxonomy. And somewhere in there is fear.

I mean, it's one thing to not like something. It's another to not like it AND not own your dislike AND the (bonus points!!!) recognize that hey, what's behind all of this.

Adjective are too often projectiles of projections!

• 1 month later...

FDFFABB5-A55-D-4-C24-B674-5858-B5-D74514

F9920-BEF-FF46-4-E8-E-AB7-E-2-DFC01-C45-

215-B896-A-69-B9-42-AD-850-C-CCAC7-BD587

with the ridiculous vinyl prices these days (especially in Europe) I changed my buying strategies. Buying on Discogs for quite a while I’ve noticed a few things about Japanese sellers:

1. Their prices are realistic and way lower than European sellers. Both MJQ’s and Powell cost me 5 dollars where EU sellers dare to ask 20+ euros for these records.

2. They tend to undergrade the condition instead of overgrade them. The vinyl is always in better condition then described and so are the jackets.

3. The overall quality of the pressings is great and the condition of the stuff is almost NM even if we’re talking about ‘70’s pressings. 

During spring and summer days I don’t listen a lot of music and the temperature in my special jazz room is way too high. What I do is set aside a small amount of money during those months. Now the days are getting darker and colder I am listening a lot of music again and I am in my room as much as possible. So ordered a big amount of LPs from a single Japanese seller. With a 50 dollar flat shipping rate, shipment costs were okay for shipping this amount of LP’s. Even including the tax and import duties, this is a way cheaper option then buying them seperately from expensive and overgrading EU sellers. So I will be saving money now again until January and make a new big order celebrating a new year :)

I already had this music on cd but these are all 4,5 and 5 star records for me and I like to have them on vinyl. 

Edited by Pim

• 3 weeks later...