What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday at Borders Outlet I picked up:

The Quest - Mal Waldron w/Eric Dolphy, Booker Ervin, Ron Carter (on cello!), Joe Benjamin, Charles Persnip

Music Matador - I'm having trouble figuring this one out ... it's on the Fresh Sounds label and shows the players are Eric Dolphy, Clifford Jordan, Prince Lasha, Sonny Simmons, Richard Davis and the "Bossa Tres," a Brazilian rhythm section.

I can see on AMG there is a listing for a "Music Matador" by Dolphy, but it doesn't seem to exactly match up with the disc I just bought. What I have looks like it might be some kind of mix of sessions, with not all players playing on all tracks (I haven't actually listened to it yet).

I also picked up The Philadelphia Experiment with Uri Caine, keyboards; Christian McBride, bass; Ahmir Thompson, drums; and guests including Pat Martino.

Total cost = $15! :)

recent purchases:

North Mississippi Allstars - Instores & Outtakes

Johnny Winter - Johnny winter (remaster w/3 extra tracks)

Johnny Winter - I'm a Bluesman (just released)

Bob Brotzman - In Concert DVD

delivery pending: North Mississippi Allstars - Tate Counts (Hill Country Blues)

:party::party::party:

recent purchases:

North Mississippi Allstars - Instores & Outtakes

Johnny Winter - Johnny winter (remaster w/3 extra tracks)

Johnny Winter - I'm a Bluesman (just released)

Bob Brotzman - In Concert DVD

delivery pending: North Mississippi Allstars - Tate Counts (Hill Country Blues)

:party:  :party:  :party:

North Mississippi Allstars. Great choice.

The "greatest innovator" thread inspired me to order 2 CDs today:

Henry Threadgill - Where's Your Cup

Steve Coleman - Genesis & The Opening of the Way

i went to the blue note annex today. :excited:

boy am i in a lot of trouble! :P

here's my haul:

George Russell Sextet - at Beethoven Hall Complete Recordings;

Kenny Dorham Quintet - Showboat;

Ed Kelly & Pharoah Sanders;

David "Fathead" Newman - Captain Buckles;

Kenny Dorham - Whistle Stop - RVG;

Phineas Newborn, Jr. - Solo Piano;

Jutta Hipp with Zoot Simms - CONN;

Michael Petrucciani - Live;

Zoot Simms with the Joe Castro Trio;

Randy Waldman Trio - Wigged Out;

Jack Walrath in Montana;

Cedar Walton - Naima;

Charles Earland - Stomp!

B)

Came upon that CD I heard about. It's listed in the Barney Wilen discographies. It's not even listed in AMG:

Jacques Pelzer 'Never Let Me Go' (Igloo)

Pelzer is the saxophonist who is a central figure in the Belgian jazz scene. He is often mentioned i-for various reasons - in James Gavin's biography of Chet Baker 'Deep In A Dream' as is his daughter Micheline who plays drums throughout the session.

Barney Wilen is featured on soprano and tenor - in four of the ten selections - and plays masterfully as usual. Pelzer is not bad at all. A Benny Carter inspired player, he sounds much better here than on several occasions I heard him live!

Another free jazz batch.

This time, more Cecil Taylor. At last I have a "decent" collection of his pre-1966 output.

-Nefertiti, the beautiful one has come

-Dark unto themselves

-Silent tongues

-Cecil Taylor Unit

From amazon marketplace, some new, some used.

I actually hadn't bought any music for four months (I'd sent a check to Chuck Nessa for his Warne Marsh CD in February) - the longest period I'd gone without purchasing any records or CDs during my adult life - and it felt good. I was able to listen to parts of my collection that I hadn't listened to in years, and I came to feel that I had broken an addiction.

That said, I just ordered the Arthur Rhames/Rashied Ali CD on Ayler and the Frank Hewitt CD on Smalls. I like Arthur Rhames' playing on his DIW issue, and I'm eager to hear Frank Hewitt after reading Jim Sangry's comments on this Board and a positive review in Cadence.

I'm happy to say that I don't feel a need to order or buy anything else right now, and it's great to be free of that need.

frontcov_72_4x4.jpg

...dropped through the post.

Django Bates first for six years.

A name probably unknown in the States but one of our most quirky and original composers and bandleaders. Imagine a contemporary sounding jazz band with influences from Zappa, 70s Canterbury rock, Viv Stanshall and Hermeto Pascoal! File next to your Robert Wyatt albums!

Totally distinctive and hugely entertaining.

The HMV summer sale has started and they usually have a few interesting bargains in their Tokyo stores. Picked up the following items on Saturday:

Jazz in Paris: Lucky Thompson - Modern Jazz Group

Jazz in Paris: Bernard Peiffer - La Vie En Rose

Only 300 yen each, equivalent to around $2.75. Great series, great prices.

There were some jazz records still on sale in one of the Paris shops. Nothing much really. Except they had a number of Miles Davis At Montreux boxes, selling at €99.

Wish I had waited till today to buy this one.

They also had a still sealed copy of the Mosaic Four Freshmen box at €79. It was at the bottom of my Mosaic Want list but I figured I could not let this one get away.

It's also one of the rare recent Mosaic sets where most of the material is new to me.

I'll listen to this - slowly - over the weekend!