tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered a couple of new Steeplechase CD's

Vincent Gardner Quintet - Elbow Room

Jed Levy Quintet - Mood Ellington

Hoping that I may find the Monk/Trane Carnegie CD and Trane Half Note CD at my local CD shop later today. The manager tries to get things like this in for me, (and for himself since he is a jazz fan, too) but distribution of jazz CD's in Canada is notoriously spotty and slow.

I went a little crazy after reading through the Hard Bossa thread and ordered a 3 CD set by Meirelles, which included O Som and Samba Jazz. Then 2 CDs from the Sambalanco Trio, Obras and Obras #2 by Edison Machado and something by Dom Um Romao.

I came very close to ordering Coltrane's One Up One Down and Booker's Tex Book Tenor from CD Universe. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

Steve Swallow - Damaged in Transit.

This came out two years ago. Chris Potter on tenor sax, Adam Nussbaum on drums and Swallow on electric bass.

All songs recorded in concert. The liner notes are simply the sheet music of the tunes!

Not bad, but I have to be in the right mood to listen to a sax trio without a chordal instrument such as a piano or a guitar.

I found these 3 cds in the half price store I frequent.

Lou Donaldson's "Hot Dog" (blue note)

Miles Davis in Tokyo (CBS)

Tina Brooks "The Waiting Game" (blue note connoisseur edition)

There were more blue note cds there, but I couldn't buy everything I wanted. (including in what was left: Andrew Hill's "Point of Departure' <_< )