What music did you buy today?

tonym

Decided to wander into one of our local shops today, and man!!!

New:

Milt Jackson, MEET MILT JACKSON ($7.99)

Milt Jackson, ROLL 'EM, BAGS ($7.99)... these are the two Savoy CDs that contain the session with Wade Legge and Lucky Thompson.

Used:

Fats Waller, FATS WALLER IN LONDON ($3.99)

Conte Candoli, SWEET SIMON ("used", but still in shrinkwrap) ($3.99)

Charles Mingus, JAZZICAL MOODS ($3.99--NOT part of the Comp. Debut box)

:excited::party:

Just found the original "Music From Peter Gunn" as arranged and conducted by Henry Mancinni and reissued by Buddha. I've been looking for this for a while, and this copy was only $4.99...I used up a little remaining credit I still had, and the thing ended up costing me just two bucks. Nice! The lineups feature loads of jazz musicians, BTW, which makes sense as the eponymous PI was supposed to dig le Jazz West Coast.

It's a really good one, Bruce. Is Buddha even still around? I was going to ask the label for several copies to offer during the recent Night Lights fund-drive, but I couldn't find them anywhere on the web... they were (are?) a BMG imprint. In any case, it may be heresy, but I think I prefer Mancini's versions to Shelly Manne's, much as like the Manne albums.

The Mancini followup (MORE MUSIC FROM PETER GUNN) isn't as good, but if you find it cheap, worth picking up too.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A motherlode of great used discs.

J.J. Johnson--J.J. Inc. (with Freddie Hubbard, Clifford Jordon, Cedar Walton)--fantastic group.

Fats Waller--Piano Solos, Turn on the Heat--great 2 CD set of all of Fat's solo piano recordings for RCA.

Julius Watkins--Blue Note Connosseur 10" series.

Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Giuffre

Jimmy Smith--Six Views of the Blues

Sonny Stitt Meets Brother Jack McDuff (OJC)

Mary Lou Williams--Solo Recital (OJC)

Pat Martino-Desperado (OJC)

in the last few days

Chet Baker - Broken Wing (Jazz In Paris)

Hod O'Brien - Opalessence

Frank Rosolino - Frankly Speaking (TOCJ)

Frank Rosolino - Free For All

Frank Rosolino (VSOP)

Moacir Santos - Choros & Alegria

Roland Kirk - Dog Years In The Fourth Ring

Oscar Peterson - Eloquence

Lennie Niehaus - Vol.4 The Quintet & The Strings

Ray Bryant - Through The Years Vol.2

I need to repent... first month in years where CD purchases have exceeded LP's.

Today's used CD lunch haul:

Richard Holmes & Gene Ammons - Groovin' with Jug (just noticed it's Grovin' on the spine)

Dexter Gordon - Dexter Rides Again

Curtis Fuller - Bluesette

Nat Adderley - That's Nat

Played the Holmes & Ammons on the drive back to work... the more I buy, the more I realize how much I've been missing! Great, great stuff.

I need to repent... first month in years where CD purchases have exceeded LP's.

Today's used CD lunch haul:

Richard Holmes & Gene Ammons - Groovin' with Jug (just noticed it's Grovin' on the spine)

Dexter Gordon - Dexter Rides Again

Curtis Fuller - Bluesette

Nat Adderley - That's Nat

Played the Holmes & Ammons on the drive back to work... the more I buy, the more I realize how much I've been missing! Great, great stuff.

I've had "Groovin' wiv jug" for years and never noticed the spelling mistake on the spine 'til just now. A totally great album.

Years ago, I was in Tower and they played one of those Curtis Fuller Savoy CDs which had a fantastic HONKING tenor solo from Benny Golson. I couldn't afford it just then, and then I forgot which Fuller album it was. Was it "Bluesette"?

MG

Years ago, I was in Tower and they played one of those Curtis Fuller Savoy CDs which had a fantastic HONKING tenor solo from Benny Golson. I couldn't afford it just then, and then I forgot which Fuller album it was. Was it "Bluesette"?

Could be............but it sounds to me like you might actually be talking about Yusef Lateef on 'Judyful' from the Fuller Sextet "Images" Savoy one? Coincidentally, I saw the Curtis Fuller Quintet last weekend w/Ronnie Matthews and Lou Hayes. It was Fuller's B'day and Freddy Cole stopped by to sing a couple of numbers, which was a real treat! After the show Hayes had a cd or two rattling around in his bag so I bought 'Dreamin of Cannonball' off him (he was a bit miffed that he had to pack up his own kit). :g So that then, was my last CD purchase.

Could be............but it sounds to me like you might actually be talking about Yusef Lateef on 'Judyful' from the Fuller Sextet "Images" Savoy one? Coincidentally, I saw the Curtis Fuller Quintet last weekend w/Ronnie Matthews and Lou Hayes. It was Fuller's B'day and Freddy Cole stopped by to sing a couple of numbers, which was a real treat! After the show Hayes had a cd or two rattling around in his bag so I bought 'Dreamin of Cannonball' off him (he was a bit miffed that he had to pack up his own kit). :g So that then, was my last CD purchase.

You ol' name dropper, you! :P