What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My local record shop is getting a lot of limited edition OJCs in stock--maybe a reaction to the clearing out, I don't know. But I made some hay:

Duane Tatro: Jazz for Moderns

Walt Dickerson: A Sense of Direction

Don Friedman Quartet feat. Attila Zoller: Dreams and Explorations

Steve Lacy Quintet: Esteem

Gallio/Voerkel/Frey: Tiegel

Pierre Boulez: (Schoenberg) Die Gluckliche Hand; Variations, Op. 31; Verklarte Nacht

-The Lacy and Tiegel are UMS releases and, apparently, not out yet (allmusic says the release date is mid-September). Both are excellent and well worth getting.

Edited by ep1str0phy

I bought/ordered enough Dick's Picks to get me completed as far as Grateful Dead official releases up to the departure of the Godchauxs. Cost me all my birthday dollars and then some but it's a good feeling to know I'm caught up and can see what Rhino will bring about.

zzgoodgodagospelfunkh_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/varfunkcd.htm#428577

Various -- Good God -- A Gospel Funk Hymnal . . . CD . . . $15.99

A killer killer compilation -- the sort we've been dying to own for years! It's a well known fact that there's plenty of funky nuggets hidden amidst 70s gospel recordings -- massive grooves and break-heavy tracks that rank right up there with the best indie funk from the same time. Yet tracking down these tunes has always been plenty tough -- given that most gospel records sold in different circles, had different distribution, and often are less easy to decipher for the crate digger than more conventional funk and soul. Enter the folks at Numero -- who have really gone all out this time around, and dug through piles and piles of rare gospel records to come up with a whopping batch of great tracks! This set is definitely ground zero for getting into funky gospel -- and it's filled with far more obscure work than the Soul Gospel set on Soul Jazz -- all indie numbers from small labels that only got minor distribution at the time. As usual with Numero, the notes and package match the soulful depth and righteousness of the music -- and the set is one of the most perfectly wrapped-up genre compilations we've ever seen! 18 tracks in all -- with titles that include "I Thank The Lord" by Mighty Voices Of Wonder, "This Old World Is Going Down" by The Modulations, "Look Where He Brought Us" by The Apostles Of Music, "Thoughs (sic) Were The Days" by LaVice & Company, "Bad Situation" by 5 Spiritual Tones, "God Been Good To Me" by Mighty Walker Brothers, "O Yes My Lord" by Voices Of Conquest, "We Don't Love Enough" by Triumphs, "Heaven On Their Minds" by Sam Taylor, "God Will Dry My Weeping Eyes" by Horace Family, and "I Call Him" by Masonic Wonders.

We'll see if it really is all that, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Edited by JSngry

Latests acquisitions:

-11 stride piano CDs on Jazz Connaisseur, Arbors, Solo Art labels (&others):

Dick Hyman, Ralph Sutton, Dick Wellstood, Bernd Lhotzky, Louis Mazetier...

-old-times hunting through a nice music shop I found in Oviedo (my wife´s hometown):

Lee Konitz & Rich Perry - RichLee! (SteepleChase)

Paul Bley - Live at Haarlem (da music)

Leo Wright - Soul talk (Water)

Lee Konitz and Warne Marsh (Atlantic)

Claude Bolling Big Band - A drum is a woman (Milan Jazz)

Monk documentary "American Composer" on the Dutch Jazz Masters DVD series

wow-love the haarlem and the bolling and the konitz-marsh. what an incredible haul! this mr. joy is consummate!

Edited by alocispepraluger102

zzgoodgodagospelfunkh_101b.jpg

http://www.dustygroove.com/varfunkcd.htm#428577

Various -- Good God -- A Gospel Funk Hymnal . . . CD . . . $15.99

A killer killer compilation -- the sort we've been dying to own for years! It's a well known fact that there's plenty of funky nuggets hidden amidst 70s gospel recordings -- massive grooves and break-heavy tracks that rank right up there with the best indie funk from the same time. Yet tracking down these tunes has always been plenty tough -- given that most gospel records sold in different circles, had different distribution, and often are less easy to decipher for the crate digger than more conventional funk and soul. Enter the folks at Numero -- who have really gone all out this time around, and dug through piles and piles of rare gospel records to come up with a whopping batch of great tracks! This set is definitely ground zero for getting into funky gospel -- and it's filled with far more obscure work than the Soul Gospel set on Soul Jazz -- all indie numbers from small labels that only got minor distribution at the time. As usual with Numero, the notes and package match the soulful depth and righteousness of the music -- and the set is one of the most perfectly wrapped-up genre compilations we've ever seen! 18 tracks in all -- with titles that include "I Thank The Lord" by Mighty Voices Of Wonder, "This Old World Is Going Down" by The Modulations, "Look Where He Brought Us" by The Apostles Of Music, "Thoughs (sic) Were The Days" by LaVice & Company, "Bad Situation" by 5 Spiritual Tones, "God Been Good To Me" by Mighty Walker Brothers, "O Yes My Lord" by Voices Of Conquest, "We Don't Love Enough" by Triumphs, "Heaven On Their Minds" by Sam Taylor, "God Will Dry My Weeping Eyes" by Horace Family, and "I Call Him" by Masonic Wonders.

We'll see if it really is all that, but it's definitely worth a shot.

But, in their search for the terribly obscure, they've missed the Violinaires' "Groovin' with Jesus" and Rance Allen and many others who recorded for non-obscure labels. Be interesting to see what you think, Jim.

MG

But, in their search for the terribly obscure, they've missed the Violinaires' "Groovin' with Jesus" and Rance Allen and many others who recorded for non-obscure labels. Be interesting to see what you think, Jim.

I know that Rance Allen's been well covered by Fantasy reissues. I have some Violinaires, but not that one. I'd love to hear it!

This is definitely a niche-product, whose purpose seems to be to collect/issue stuff that nobody else would. Hell, most people probably don't even know about it. I wish that Gospel would get the quality reissuing that it so richly deserves, but until it does, I'll take whatever I can get, by whoever puts it out.

If I get what I'm expecting, I'll be getting a collection of mostly "local" acts whose passion might well exceed their skill. I'm ok with that, especially with Gospel music, where the passion is really the object of the game. There's probably going to be gems and duds side-by-side, and not necessarily in a favorable ratio. I'm ok with that too, because with this type of compiling, getting access to the gems is really the object of the game. Besides, it's no doubt profoundly easier to put a comp like this together than it is to negotiate with the majors for similar material. Fantasy's been the only significant holder of "classic" gospel to consistently treat the stuff with respect. Vee-Jay tried for a quick minute, as did Columbia/CBS/Sony/Whoevertheyare, but nothing really took. Universal's done shit for the Peacock catalog, and that is a crime. So I'm not casting any stones to these compilers for focusing on the obscure.

Of course, if I get more than I'm expecting, I'll get something along the lines of Guitar Evangelists, a mindblower of a compilation on Gospel Heritage that I bought at Rod's old K-29 store about 10 years ago. That was one that I bought blind, but boy, did I see the light in a hurry!

In short, I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. This ain't my first rodeo, if you know what I mean. ;)

From BMG I ordered for $6.33 each:

Hank - Dippin', Workout (RVGs)

Lee Morgan - The Gigolo, Tom Cat (RVGs)

Andrew Hill - Time Lines

$8.33

Santana - III (2CD Legacy Edition)

Same deal I just ordered with Brooks. In fact, we ordered the same two Hanks. Free shipping, not bad! Almost yourmusic prices.