• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found all used yesterday:

Sun Ra-Black Myth/Out in Space-MPS 2 cd set

Sun Ra-Dance of the Living Image Vol 4-Tranparency 2cd set

John Coltrane-Kulu Se Mama-Impulse!

John Coltrane-Living Space-Impulse!

Listen to Art Farmer and the Orchestra-Verve Elite Edition

The Modern Jazz Society Presents a Concert of Contemporary Music-Verve Elite Edition

Ray Brown-Bass Hit!-Verve Elite Edition

Louis Bellson-Skin Deep-Verve Elite Edition

Ornette Coleman-Dancing in Your Head-A&M

Not a bad haul!

Today's delivery was

51qRXHV1qBL._SS500_.jpg

A 2CD set containing all the Spirit of Memphis recordings for King and the first dozen for Peacock, between them covering 1949-1954. Amazing! Been looking for an album of these recordings for years!

Amazing! Fantastic!

And the sleeve notes say that one of the main lead singers - Wilmer "Little Axe" Broadnax - lived as a transvestite. Bet the churches the group appeared in didn't know that!

MG

Today's delivery was

51qRXHV1qBL._SS500_.jpg

A 2CD set containing all the Spirit of Memphis recordings for King and the first dozen for Peacock, between them covering 1949-1954. Amazing! Been looking for an album of these recordings for years!

Amazing! Fantastic!

And the sleeve notes say that one of the main lead singers - Wilmer "Little Axe" Broadnax - lived as a transvestite. Bet the churches the group appeared in didn't know that!

MG

Louis Opal Nations' notes state that "Little Axe" "was in in fact a man living as a woman". I've read elsewhere that it was just the opposite - "Little Axe" was a woman who lived as a man. Whatever the case, Willmer "Little Axe" Broadnax was a great singer - that's all that matters.

Edited by paul secor

Louis Opal Nations' notes state that "Little Axe" "was in in fact a man living as a woman". I've read elsewhere that it was just the opposite - "Little Axe" was a woman who lived as a man. Whatever the case, Willmer "Little Axe" Broadnax was a great singer - that's all that matters.

Absolutely - but very strange that there are two exactly contradictory stories on this.

MG

Was at the mall this afternoon, so my daughter could spend a gift certificate she got for Christmas. I ducked in to F.Y.E. while there, just to see what overpriced stock they have left (and not much seems like 70% of their inventory is compilations now).

But they DID have the Art Pepper Village Vanguard box, and it appeared to be new, for $49.99. Couldn't resist. Turned out it looks like it's a remaindered item, but that's ok with me :)

Was at the mall this afternoon, so my daughter could spend a gift certificate she got for Christmas. I ducked in to F.Y.E. while there, just to see what overpriced stock they have left (and not much seems like 70% of their inventory is compilations now).

But they DID have the Art Pepper Village Vanguard box, and it appeared to be new, for $49.99. Couldn't resist. Turned out it looks like it's a remaindered item, but that's ok with me :)

Erik, did they have any more copies? :w

Today's delivery was

51qRXHV1qBL._SS500_.jpg

Amazing! Fantastic!

MG

Looking at the photo, they all have mustaches, except for the one in glasses in the top photo and without glasses in the bottom photo. Is that "Little Axe"?

I went to high school with a Broadnax, whose father is a jazz musician, but there's no resemblance that I can discern. Yet it can't be a very common name, can it?

Today's delivery was

51qRXHV1qBL._SS500_.jpg

Amazing! Fantastic!

MG

Looking at the photo, they all have mustaches, except for the one in glasses in the top photo and without glasses in the bottom photo. Is that "Little Axe"?

I went to high school with a Broadnax, whose father is a jazz musician, but there's no resemblance that I can discern. Yet it can't be a very common name, can it?

There's nothing in the sleeve notes to indicate who's who in either photo.

I have a small pic with names in the illustrated history of black gospel, but it's from 1939 and Broadnax wasn't in the group then. Not too many of them had mustaches (though some had one :))

MG

As of this post, Newbury Comics is selling it via Amazon Marketplace for $49.99 new.

Amazon Marketplace link

As of this post, Newbury Comics is selling it via Amazon Marketplace for $49.99 new.

Amazon Marketplace link

And as of last night, after one copy was ordered, they had 27 left. :rolleyes:

Billy Bang--Vietnam, the Aftermath

Americans in Europe (Impulse)

I hesitated in getting the Billy Bang, so many CDs seem to be going oop these days that I feel compelled (constrained?) to go after those first. But I've been intending to pick up the Billy Bang CD for awhile, I'm looking forward to it.

Woody Herman, Blowin' Up a Storm: the Columbia Years 1945-47.

Very pleased to get hold of a used copy of this 2CD 40 track collection, which extends my coverage of this classic material from the 12 track LP (CBS Realm Jazz) which I've had since the 1960s, but doesn't go quite so far as the $119 7CD Mosaic box.

Woody Herman, Blowin' Up a Storm: the Columbia Years 1945-47.

Very pleased to get hold of a used copy of this 2CD 40 track collection, which extends my coverage of this classic material from the 12 track LP (CBS Realm Jazz) which I've had since the 1960s, but doesn't go quite so far as the $119 7CD Mosaic box.

The sound on that Woody Herman set is excellent, imo. The Columbia engineers in the 40s left a nice legacy, for sure.