What music did you buy today?

tonym

found a goldmine of used and new (shrink-wrapped) Chronological Classics at a used store... ouch ouch ouch... about four metres of discs!

took the plunge for most of the late 30s Ellingtons I still missed (one they didn't have, "1940"), the second part of the Basies (again I still miss one, "1941"), and then ten or eleven Satchmos (1929-1946, I had 1930-31 already), covering the RCA and Deccas following the Hot Fives, two Chick Webbs, the Buster Bailey, the Jabbo Smith, the first Stuff Smith, the first Dizzy Gillespie, two Andy Kirk's (had one, I think that makes for the three earliest ones), and a couple of others.

Is this used store in Zurich? If so, would you mind to disclose the name and location of this store? Thanks.

He he, should I? :ph34r:

As I won't be able to buy all I want anyway, yes of course! It's Silverdisc (Limmatstrasse, Tramhaltestelle Dammweg, eins vor Escher-Wyss-Platz). Most of the discs are not displayed but the guy there let me check them myself in their backoffice. Cost is 14 CHF per disc - not that cheap, but good enough, considering they're new or almost new (one had some writing in the CD list inside the booklet, though... doesn't bother me too much, but if it bothers you you might want to check thoroughly.

The earlier 6 Basie discs are by the way still available from Abeillemusique for 25 euro... just sent in an order there, myself, though I have all of that music already on various CDs and CDRs... now I miss said 1941 volume plus the Neatworks.

Just in case: what I remember is: large chunks of Ellington, Calloway, Krupa, Fats Waller, Teddy Wilson (I think I'll rather go for the Heps there, if I ever get them all... I have the Billie Holiday box, so I have many of those sides already). It's pure overkill, but you're bound to find some great stuff there, I'm sure! And make sure you also check the displayed discs, some Classics are in there, they just stock up whenever some other discs are sold and the have more space in their display shelves.

Thanks very much. I appreciate your unselfish attitude. ;)

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

found a goldmine of used and new (shrink-wrapped) Chronological Classics at a used store... ouch ouch ouch... about four metres of discs!

took the plunge for most of the late 30s Ellingtons I still missed (one they didn't have, "1940"), the second part of the Basies (again I still miss one, "1941"), and then ten or eleven Satchmos (1929-1946, I had 1930-31 already), covering the RCA and Deccas following the Hot Fives, two Chick Webbs, the Buster Bailey, the Jabbo Smith, the first Stuff Smith, the first Dizzy Gillespie, two Andy Kirk's (had one, I think that makes for the three earliest ones), and a couple of others.

Is this used store in Zurich? If so, would you mind to disclose the name and location of this store? Thanks.

As I won't be able to buy all I want anyway, yes of course! It's Silverdisc (Limmatstrasse, Tramhaltestelle Dammweg, eins vor Escher-Wyss-Platz). Most of the discs are not displayed but the guy there let me check them myself in their backoffice. Cost is 14 CHF per disc - not that cheap, but good enough, considering they're new or almost new (one had some writing in the CD list inside the booklet, though... doesn't bother me too much, but if it bothers you you might want to check thoroughly.

The earlier 6 Basie discs are by the way still available from Abeillemusique for 25 euro... just sent in an order there, myself, though I have all of that music already on various CDs and CDRs... now I miss said 1941 volume plus the Neatworks.

Just in case: what I remember is: large chunks of Ellington, Calloway, Krupa, Fats Waller, Teddy Wilson (I think I'll rather go for the Heps there, if I ever get them all... I have the Billie Holiday box, so I have many of those sides already). It's pure overkill, but you're bound to find some great stuff there, I'm sure! And make sure you also check the displayed discs, some Classics are in there, they just stock up whenever some other discs are sold and the have more space in their display shelves.

you'll have to do burns of all the discs I won't be able to get now because you're wealthier than me... that was int eh fine-print in the previous post, didn't you see? :rolleyes::w

you'll have to do burns of all the discs I won't be able to get now because you're wealthier than me... that was int eh fine-print in the previous post, didn't you see? :rolleyes::w

The fine-print was too fine-printed, thus it did not appear on my computer screen. Just out of curiosity: Why do you assume that I am wealthier than you?

The fine-print was too fine-printed, thus it did not appear on my computer screen. Just out of curiosity: Why do you assume that I am wealthier than you?

well, I'm a student (though with an ok paying part-time job) and you're 15 years older... but then you have family... stupid thing to post anyway, sorry! -_-

Teddy Wilson (I think I'll rather go for the Heps there, if I ever get them all... I have the Billie Holiday box, so I have many of those sides already).

Someone reported in a thread I can't remember that the Hep site was down. I was planning on going for the Teddy Wilsons.

MG

I read that, too - seems it's up again: http://www.hepjazz.com/

Oh good - just a temp glitch. Thanks.

MG

well, I'm a student (though with an ok paying part-time job) and you're 15 years older... but then you have family... stupid thing to post anyway, sorry! -_-

Never mind! I took it not that seriously.

I did hope (and think) so, but still taking a step back I felt stupid about posting that (it's pretty irrelevant anyway...)

Did you pass by the store already? You'll have to ask specifically, I assume (the one guy that was there still recognizes me although I usually drop by once a year only, but he always pulls out piles of stuff not displayed... or just say you heard about the Classics from someone...

I did hope (and think) so, but still taking a step back I felt stupid about posting that (it's pretty irrelevant anyway...)

Did you pass by the store already? You'll have to ask specifically, I assume (the one guy that was there still recognizes me although I usually drop by once a year only, but he always pulls out piles of stuff not displayed... or just say you heard about the Classics from someone...

I plan to pass by later this afternoon. They mention the classics on their website and encourage to ask for items not displayed. Will report back...

I plan to pass by later this afternoon. They mention the classics on their website and encourage to ask for items not displayed. Will report back...

Just remember, the month only just started, you'll need some money for food and other things, too! :excited:

Just remember, the month only just started, you'll need some money for food and other things, too! :excited:

Thanks for reminding me... :rolleyes:

I tell you, it will be hard to control yourself once you'll stand in front of that shelf, I spent an hour there on Saturday, had my Penguin guide with me and some notes I took over the years...

Ordered some from JPC, all on sale:

Depart - Reloaded (ACT)

Joachim Kühn - the piano solo album (ACT)

Brubeck - Ret Hot & Cool or whatever it's called (Sony/Legacy)

and the NY Contemporary Five Storyville CD (wanted that one for a looooong time)

Some more miscellaneous buys from BMG freebies, B&N coupon and other internet finds:

41nzZnYCoLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg My first Keith Jarrett via a BMG freebie. I thought I'd get a taste of Jarrett and see what all the fuss is about.

41W79FGBRGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg Just got this and have to say that this is excellent. If you're into electric blues/rock you should check this out.

410GCZ8EY6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg Early Cannonball and Nat.

51zQrEwvDxL._SL500_AA240_.jpg You've probably seen his artwork but have you heard his music? Interesting and very entertaining stuff. I found a good price on this one. Hope the seller doesn't burn me.

Arrived today from the Concord sale:

Lock & Griff: Blues Up and Down; Live at Minton's; Tough Tenors - After the the Lock & Griff thread, I realized I only had one recording, & I had to make amends.

Hank Mobley: Messages

Mose Allison: Ramblin' with Mose, Local Color

Jaki Byard: On the Spot!

Moondog

James Moody: Moody's Mood for Blues

I hope I finally have all the OJCs I want/need, but probably not. :wacko:

From the forum I got the inspiration for buying this African record:

V.A. - African Jazz Pioneers

41V9071A3ML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

From Document Records:

Texas Alexander - Complete Recordings, Vol.1

MBCD-2001.jpg

Big Maceo - Flying Boogie, Vol.1

DOCD-5673.jpg

And some Dootone:

V.A. - Dootone Blues

41NEP7AXW0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

V.A. - Dootone Rock 'n' Rhythm 'n' Blues

41NDWG87D8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And:

V.A. - An Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music

41M21VHX5EL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Edited by jostber

I tell you, it will be hard to control yourself once you'll stand in front of that shelf, I spent an hour there on Saturday, had my Penguin guide with me and some notes I took over the years...

Depart - Reloaded (ACT)

and the NY Contemporary Five Storyville CD (wanted that one for a looooong time)

I was there yesterday. You were right, I really had a hard time ;) These are the spoils:

Earl Hines And His Orchestra: 1934-1937 (Classics)

Johnny Guarnieri: 1944-1946 (Classics)

John Kirby: The John Kriby Sextet 1939-1941 (Columbia, 2 cd)

Andy Kirk And His Twelve Clouds Of Joy: 1936-1937 (Classics)

Mills Blue Rhythm Band: 1934-1936 (Classics)

Flip Phillips: Together Flip & Woody (BBC)

George Wein: The Magic Horn (RCA)

Various: Swing Trumpet Kings - Harry Edison, Buck Clayton, Red Allen, Roy Eldridge (Verve, 2 cd)

The overall price was Swiss Francs 114 (roughly the same in $), making it 11.40 Francs per disc, not bad.

And the postman brought these:

Art Pepper: The Hollywood Sessions (Galaxy)

Atsuko Hashimoto Organ Trio: Time After Time (Thousand Days) feat. Jeff Hamilton

Edited by Tommy T

Depart - Reloaded (ACT)

I was there yesterday. You were right, I really had a hard time ;) These are the spoils:

Earl Hines And His Orchestra: 1934-1937 (Classics)

Johnny Guarnieri: 1944-1946 (Classics)

John Kirby: The John Kriby Sextet 1939-1941 (Columbia, 2 cd)

Andy Kirk And His Twelve Clouds Of Joy: 1936-1937 (Classics)

Mills Blue Rhythm Band: 1934-1936 (Classics)

Flip Phillips: Together Flip & Woody (BBC)

George Wein: The Magic Horn (RCA)

Various: Swing Trumpet Kings - Harry Edison, Buck Clayton, Red Allen, Roy Eldridge (Verve, 2 cd)

The overall price was Swiss Francs 114 (roughly the same in $), making it 11.40 Francs per disc, not bad.

And the postman brought these:

Art Pepper: The Hollywood Sessions (Galaxy)

Atsuko Hashimoto Organ Trio: Time After Time (Thousand Days) feat. Jeff Hamilton

The Kirk I had already... I took the two following volumes!

As for Kirby, I was considering both the Classics and that 2CD set but instead got the Circle 1CD transcription disc - I've had no Kirby at all before and wasn't sure how much to get... the Swing Trumpet Kings I got from an Amazon Marketplace seller a while back (and the Eldridge album is of course in the Mosaic) - the Sweets/Clayton is fantastic! (The main reason I wanted to get it, as Sweets never really got the treatment he deserved from Verve... there was the VEE double, then the LPR, plus one album on this 3-on-2 set and one on the Webster 3-on-2 set... I haven't checked what else he did for Verve, but a box with all of this would be great!)

Lee Morgan, Delightfulee (Blue Note)

Two Morgan sessions from 1966: 1) with Joe Henderson, McCoy Tyner Bob Cranshaw and Billy Higgins.

2) with orchestra playing Oliver Nelson arrangements.

As is so often the case, I bought this after hearing a track on the radio. Sonny Buxton played "Zambia" on his KCSM show on Saturday and Lee's opening phrase after Tyner's solo nearly blew me out of my chair! The album was a bit of a surprise with the very different big band sides, but at nearly 70 minutes with no alternative takes, it's unusually good value for a Blue Note album.

These arrived yesterday from Concord

At The Black Hawk, Vol. 4 - Shelly Manne

OJCCD-659-2

At The Black Hawk, Vol. 5 - Shelly Manne

OJCCD-660-2

Son Of A Gunn!! - Shelly Manne

OJCCD-1105-2

"The Three" & "The Two" - Shelly Manne

OJCCD-172-2

For Lady - Webster Young

OJCCD-1716-2

Another Opus - Lem Winchester

OJCCD-1816-2

Zounds! - Lennie Niehaus

OJCCD-1892-2

On The Trail - Jimmy Heath

OJCCD-1854-2

The Tommy Flanagan Trio

OJCCD-182-2

Something Borrowed, Something Blue - Tommy Flanagan

OJCCD-473-2

The Webster Young cd is Great , played it last night !

Nice find! All three sessions are wonderful. I had a difficult time tracking down that CD, I eventually found it a few years ago at an online Canadian store.

Bought yesterday:

Wayne Shorter --Soothsayer (RVG)

Johnny Smith--Moonlight in Vermont

Sam Rivers-- Fuschia Swing Song

Miles--Miles Ahead (this is a CD I've been intending to pick up for years, but for some reason, never got around to it. Maybe becasuse of mixed feelings about the other two collaborations; I like Porgy/Bess but I've never warmed to the Sketches in Spain session.)