What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a record convention yesterday. Went there for a quick visit.

Did not come out empty handed.

Got these LPs (all decently priced):

- Mal Waldron 'Breaking New Ground' (with Reggie Workman and Ed Blackwell), the Japanese Bainbridge original issue,

- Georgie Auld 'Plays the Winners', the original US Philips mono copy, with Frank Rosolino, Lou Levy, Leroy Vinnegar and Mel Lewis,

- Steve Anderson 'Piano For Dance' on Bel-Air. Had ignored that album when I ran into a better copy several years ago. Did not know at the time that Steve Anderson was Maurice Vander, a pianist that I am rediscovering now. Anderson/Vander had Pierre Michelot on bass and Kenny Clarke on drums on that session. When I did not know what the music was, thought it was an easy listening piano mood album. Turns out it is a pretty swinging and enjoyable date.

Got these CDs:

- Sonny Rollins in Denmark 2 (Moon) with Kenny Drew, NHP and Tootie Heath,

- Von Freeman 'Live At The Dakota' (Premonition),

- Guy Lafitte/Wild Bill Davis 'Three Men On a Beat' (Black&Blue)

Wandered into Compact Disc Warehouse in Sunnyvale (it was the wife's fault, I swear!) and picked up four titles.

Louis Armstrong and King Oliver: Mistake. It's the "Musical Heritage Society" version; does the regular Milestone version sound this bad? Or have I just been spoiled by the Armstrong Legacy box remastering?

Paul West: Being Alone...another mistake. I swear, this thing said Paula West in the store...who knows, maybe it's okay.

Jason Moran: Modernistic No mistake here; this one's been on my wantlist for a while and is in my ears as I type. Cool shit!!!

Art Ensemble of Chicago: The Meeting Haven't heard it yet, but I have faith.

The Armstrong/Oliver recordings were done 'acoustically', i.e. without electricity, like a gramaphone in reverse. Then the masters were lost, so you're getting someone's beat up 78....So, yes, they all sound a lot worse than the Hot 5's & 7's. etc. But it's a miricle they survive at all (some in single known copies). Can't speak to which digitalizations are better or worse, but there's only so much you can do with the source material being what it is.

The Armstrong/Oliver recordings were done 'acoustically', i.e. without electricity, like a gramaphone in reverse. Then the masters were lost, so you're getting someone's beat up 78....So, yes, they all sound a lot worse than the Hot 5's & 7's. etc. But it's a miricle they survive at all (some in single known copies). Can't speak to which digitalizations are better or worse, but there's only so much you can do with the source material being what it is.

Thanks; I guess I'll just be thankful I finally have a copy of Cake Walking Babies From Home and enjoy it!

The Grateful Dead:

--- Dick's Picks vol's: 4,15, 16, 18, 20

--- Nightfall of Diamonds

--- Grayfolded

--- Gateway to Paris

I've decided for the next couple of months just to work on building up my Dead collection. I guess when the Dead bug hits you, you just have to ride it out. And I have a major sickness for the Dead right now. :wacko:

I've decided for the next couple of months just to work on building up my Dead collection. I guess when the Dead bug hits you, you just have to ride it out. And I have a major sickness for the Dead right now.

I've been there, with the Dead, Phish, and Steely Dan. You're, mostly, just fucked. All you can do is listen to more Dead till you get over your addiction. Not that it's a bad addiction, mind you. B)

Today was the start of the Summer sales.

Took a break from work and went to the nearby Champs-Elysees to see what was up at Virgin and FNAC.

Started with Virgin. The sold items were at 5 euros ($6). Japanese imports at 10 euros.

Japanese discs I snatched were:

- Ray Crawford 'Double Times' (with Ronnell Bright)

- Helen Merrill 'Casa Forte',

- George Mraz/Roland Hanna 'In Duet/Porgy&Bess)

Others CDs were:

- JJ Johnson 'Live in London' (1964 Ronnie Scott date with Stan Tracey),

- Stan Getz 'Live in London' (another 1964 Ronnie Scott date with Tracey)

- Ben Webster 'No Fool, No Fun' (Storyville),

- Rolf & Joachim Kuhn 'Music For Two Brothers' (MPS).

Then went to FNAC and arrived just as the jazz section was sorting out the CDs that were going on sales.

Everything at 3 euros!

I picked up:

- Lee Konitz/Peggy Stern 'Lunasea' (Soul Note),

- Lee Konitz/Peggy Stern 'The Jobim Collection (Philology),

- Art Farmer-Phil Woods Together 'What Happens' (Camjazz)

- London Improvisers Orchestra 'The Hearing Continues' (Emanem 2CD set),

- Evan Parker 'London Air Lift' (FMP),

- Dusko Goykovich/Tete Montoliu 'Ten To Two Blues' (Ensayo),

- Duke Ellington 'The Treasury Shows', vol. 4 (DETS 2CD set)

Pretty sure that by midafternoon there will be nothing left at both places!

Took a break from work and went to the nearby Champs-Elysees to see what was up at Virgin and FNAC...Pretty sure that by midafternoon there will be nothing left at both places!

I can't make it to Paris before the weekend; hope that they'll have at least some things of interest still on sale, and unsold, then.

Took a break from work and went to the nearby Champs-Elysees to see what was up at Virgin and FNAC...Pretty sure that by midafternoon there will be nothing left at both places!

I can't make it to Paris before the weekend; hope that they'll have at least some things of interest still on sale, and unsold, then.

You can forget about the Champs-Elysees stores. But you may try your luck at the FNAC stores at Montparnasse (the Rue de Rennes one) and at Chatelet-Forum des Halles. They usually start their sales a few days after the opening day.

Happy hunting!