What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21CQ167W7ML._SL500_AA130_.jpg

A nice miscellany of Live, Small Group, Big Band, and Vocalists on 4cds. Highlights include: Festival Blues with Roy Eldridge, Johnny Griffin, Milt Jackson; CB Trio-"Baby Lawrence"; Joe Turner-"Corrina, Corrina"; amo. Granz recorded so much late Basie that a set like this-currently available from an Amazon affiliate at $8 plus S&H-is valuable for further direction.

41K-5pkaw2L._SS500_.jpg

So live Ella in decent sound at a bargain price, none of which I owned previously-$9.99 Newbury Comics via Amazon-how could I go wrong? Answer: I didn't. Especially fond of the Greatest Jazz Concert In The World set.

So here's to many happy hours...

Peace,

Blue Trane

85 one dollar LPs at the Music Exchange's liquidation sale in Kansas City. This includes albums by Jo Jones, Count Basie (many Pablos), Jimmie Lunceford, Bunny Berrigan, Art Hodes, Richie Beirach, Duke Ellington, Richie Cole, Teddy Wilson, Joe Pass, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis with Ruth Brown, Carla Bley, Jan Garbarek, Gary Peacock, Buddy Collette (several 1950s albums), Oscar Peterson/Clark Terry duet, Oscar Peterson/Joe Pass duet, James Williams, Terry Gibbs and Buddy DeFranco, Steve Swallow, Chick Corea, Ahmad Jamal, Dave Brubeck, Kenny Drew, Stanley Turrentine, Boyd Raeburn, and many others I can't remember right now.

Edited by Hot Ptah

40 more $1 LPs at the Music Exchange liquidation sale in Kansas City, including more Count Basie on Pablo and Verve, Ellis Larkins, Amina Claudine Myers, Ran Blake, Clare Fischer Big Band, Pete Candoli, Conte Candoli, Pete and Conte Candoli together, a 3 LP boxed set of Commodore Records highlights (still only $1), Edmond Hall, Louis Armstrong, Earl Coleman, Teddy Wilson, Bruce Forman, and others I will remember after I post this.

After flipping through many thousands of unsorted LPs in a hot, unventilated old warehouse, as sweat literally drips from the brow and the fingers turn black, my mind is not as sharp as it can be.

Today the sale was highlighted not only by the unbearable heat and the stagnant air, but also by very loud people shouting out across the aisles of boxes with their helpful guidance for the rest of us. So as one was struggling to breathe and going through yet another hundred albums by 101 Strings in the hope of finding a Pablo gem, suddenly the silence was shattered by a sceam: "HEY! Does anyone want Bob Seger! Lots of Bob Seger here!" Or "I just found some Simon and Garfunkel over here! Simon and Garfunkel!" Two guys shouted at each other for several minutes about who Ahmad Jamal is. One guy knew and was urging everyone else to rush over and grab Jamal albums, the other guy had no idea who he was and had numerous questions about him--this guy obviously had never heard any jazz in his life.

As the guy next to me said, as he started his second immense pile of $1 albums he was buying, "this is just like Christmas."

Edited by Hot Ptah

72 more $1 albums on Saturday at the Music Exchange liquidation sale, including Ray Bryant, Joanne Brackeen (several), Woody Herman, Earl Hines (several), Jack Teagarden, Hal Galper, Lionel Hampton, Shelly Manne (several), Amina Claudine Myers, Dick Wellstood, Tommy Flanagan, Terje Rypdal, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Anthony Braxton, Richie Cole, Jimmy Witherspoon, Dizzy Gillespie, Gato Barbieri, Larry Coryell, Larry Coryell and Phillip Catherine, Herb Ellis, Charlie Byrd, Monty Alexander, Jean-Luc Ponty, Harry James (several), Frank Foster, Mulgrew Miller, Dexter Gordon, Benny Goodman, Scott Hamilton, Dave Frishberg, Bud Freeman, Ruby Braff, Double Image, Johnny Hodges, Stan Getz, Dick Hyman, John Handy, Stanley Cowell, Jimmy Forrest, Dave Liebman, Mundell Lowe, Machito, and many others I can't remember now.

The liquidation sale organizers told me that there are still 100,000 albums that have not even been placed on the floor yet. A great many boxes remain full on the floor. As there are only 4 more days left of the sale (Wednesday through Saturday) they are contemplating how to get rid of everything. One idea they are seriously thinking about is lowering the price to $1 per box on Saturday. As I can get about 80 albums into one of their boxes (which they graciously let you cart away if you buy a lot of albums), that would be close to 1 cent per album!

Edited by Hot Ptah

I've got alot of music from my younger days that's on vinyl, that I haven't gone through in ages (mainly rock stuff, but some jazz), that I'm looking forward to exploring soon.

Great stuff Erik ! :tup Those Sun Ra reissues are great (I have the 'Atlantis') - they sound pretty good and are priced OK. Heck, they probably sound way better than the Saturn originals (not difficult). Check out the 'Strange Strings' if you can find it. Also recommended are the Art Yards - 'Disco 3000', 'On Jupiter' etc. I got hold of mine through Honest Jons in London but I think places like Dusty Groove stock them.

Yeah - that's the worst thing about turntables and vinyl. Prone to damage by kids, stray animals etc. Yet another reason why I don't have cats in the house. :)

To my ears these early 2000 reissues of classic Sun Ra albums on Saturn, sounds much better than the previous Evidence CD reissues. On the reissued Saturn vinyls you get the real sound without the heavy sound processing on some of the Evidence CDs.

The Art Yard vinyls are wonderful, as are their CD reissues. Another Saturn reissue I'd recommend is "My Brother The Wind, Pt. 1". An unknown classic.

A new reissue from the Philly Jazz label is also just released:

Sun Ra - Of Mythic Worlds

33288.jpg

They got it over at Honest Jon's. http://www.honestjons.com/shop.php?pid=33288&CatID=124

From the same label that released the great "Lanquidity" in the late 70's.

72 more $1 albums on Saturday at the Music Exchange liquidation sale, including Ray Bryant, Joanne Brackeen (several), Woody Herman, Earl Hines (several), Jack Teagarden, Hal Galper, Lionel Hampton, Shelly Manne (several), Amina Claudine Myers, Dick Wellstood, Tommy Flanagan, Terje Rypdal, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Anthony Braxton, Richie Cole, Jimmy Witherspoon, Dizzy Gillespie, Gato Barbieri, Larry Coryell, Larry Coryell and Phillip Catherine, Herb Ellis, Charlie Byrd, Monty Alexander, Jean-Luc Ponty, Harry James (several), Frank Foster, Mulgrew Miller, Dexter Gordon, Benny Goodman, Scott Hamilton, Dave Frishberg, Bud Freeman, Ruby Braff, Double Image, Johnny Hodges, Stan Getz, Dick Hyman, John Handy, Stanley Cowell, Jimmy Forrest, Dave Liebman, Mundell Lowe, Machito, and many others I can't remember now.

The liquidation sale organizers told me that there are still 100,000 albums that have not even been placed on the floor yet. A great many boxes remain full on the floor. As there are only 4 more days left of the sale (Wednesday through Saturday) they are contemplating how to get rid of everything. One idea they are seriously thinking about is lowering the price to $1 per box on Saturday. As I can get about 80 albums into one of their boxes (which they graciously let you cart away if you buy a lot of albums), that would be close to 1 cent per album!

Are these CDs or vinyl? Is it worth driving from St Louis for this? I'm really not interested in acquiring a lot of vinyl as I lack safe storage space. Thanks. Jeff T aka Blue Trane

Are these CDs or vinyl? Is it worth driving from St Louis for this? I'm really not interested in acquiring a lot of vinyl as I lack safe storage space. Thanks. Jeff T aka Blue Trane

It's all vinyl, and all full length LPs.

The CDs were all sold earlier. The jazz CDs were all sold in the store's moving sale, and the rest of the CDs were sold in private sales. Also, the store's massive collection of 45s and 78s (reportedly one of the largest collections in the world) was sold to a private collector.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Zoot Sims/Al Cohn/Tony Scott, East Coast Sounds (OJC/Jazzland) new for total cost of £7.13 from priceminister.com. (Amazon.uk only offered used for £16.59.)

one of those records i missed in that great zweitausendeins sale two years ago... lately i found the best prices for ojcs from international ebay sellers btw, (took me some while to figure this out - you have to change your search setting to worldwide to find them) that would have gotten you a copy for about 5,50, but of course, shipping would have taken much longer than from france

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZOOT-SIMS-EAST-COAST...p3286.m14.l1318

A new reissue from the Philly Jazz label is also just released:

Sun Ra - Of Mythic Worlds

33288.jpg

They got it over at Honest Jon's. http://www.honestjons.com/shop.php?pid=33288&CatID=124

From the same label that released the great "Lanquidity" in the late 70's.

Thanks, Jostber ! I think I got my 'Lanquidity' and 'Disco 3000' from Honest Jon's so there's another order heading their way soon.

Edited by sidewinder

Way, way too much music (considering that I'm not working this summer). I got: Jay-Z: "Unplugged" (mainly for the Roots playing backup), Nas: "Illimatic," "Spirits in the Material World: A Reggae Tribute to the Police" (features Toots and the Maytalls AND Lee "Scratch" Perry!), Prince: "Batman" (I used to own this and have been thinking about it since I saw "The Dark Knight." I got it used for about five bucks), "Backbeat" (the original soundtrack to the early '90s film about Stu Sutcliffe. First, because I'm obsessed with anything Beatles related. Second, because of the participation of Dave Grohl and Thurston Moore). I also ordered online (used through half.com) two collections of early Leadbelly recordings and (through CDUniverse) a JSP box set of Sister Rosetta Tharpe recordings. This does not count the Blind Lemon Jefferson album I got online yesterday, or the two CDs I picked up at Borders (Blind Willie Johnson and Mississippi John Hurt)!

Time to go on another CD diet (as soon as my orders arrive)!

Another visit to the $1 per album liquidation sale of Kansas City's Music Exchange. The auction company running the sale put out another 100,000 albums, which had been in storage. They included a stack of between 10 and 20 of those Art Tatum albums reissued by Pablo, with the black and white covers, the Solo Masterpieces. They were all still sealed. I left those as I have them all already.

I did pick up about 30 more albums, by Gerald Wiggins, Arthur Blythe, Kidd Jordan and the Improvisational Arts Quartet, Red Norvo, Jay Hoggard, Herbie Mann, Herbie Mann and Sam Most, Lew Tabackin, Plas Johnson, J.J. Johnson, Isham Jones, Bob Brookmeyer, Mongo Santamaria, Rob McConnell with Phil Woods, Bill Evans, Milt Jackson, Stuff Smith, Hot Lips Page, Wayne Shorter, Arnie Lawrence, Jane Ira Bloom, Stanley Turrentine and Shirley Scott, Dave Brubeck, Oscar Peterson trio on Pablo, bluesman Lonnie Brooks, Benny Goodman, Jimmy Owens, and a Verve compilation of pianists (Bud Powell/Cecil Taylor/Mary Lou Williams/Wynton Kelly/Bill Evans/Paul Bley).

This is a fun sale to go to, despite the heat inside, which can be uncomfortablem unless you are standing in one of the prized spots where the free standing fans are blowing some air.

Edited by Hot Ptah

"Charlie Parker -- A Studio Chronicle 1940-1948"

41QEK2QXA4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The reviews say this one includes all the Dial and Savoy masters, plus additional material. And J&R has it for $29. I have a paltry amount of Parker on hand, so this seemed like a good way to immerse myself a little more.

Also have the new Organissimo disc on order, and some stuff from Dan. :cool:

I swear, OCD is gonna bankrupt me. This week's U2 remasters made me wanna hear their output from Achtung Baby thru Atomic Bomb (via Rhapsody), and so after work I picked up the following:

Achtung Baby and Zooropa (used)

War remaster for 19.99 from Best Buy, plus a rain check to pick up Boy and October for the same price when they get more in

At some point, I know I'll pick up damn near everything else (except Rattle and Hum, have no use for that one)

And this is after all the TOCJs & JRVGs I bought a couple weeks ago, helping Dan clear out his CDs.... I swear, this is a SICKNESS.

Edited by Big Al