What music did you buy today?

tonym

"Charlie Parker -- A Studio Chronicle 1940-1948"

41QEK2QXA4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The reviews say this one includes all the Dial and Savoy masters, plus additional material. And J&R has it for $29. I have a paltry amount of Parker on hand, so this seemed like a good way to immerse myself a little more.

Oh yeah, this is a nice one!

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51pVTdeedjL._SS400_.jpg

Good sound quality, a well balanced 22 tracks each of Waller performing Waller, Waller instrumentals, Waller performing other people's compositions. At approximately $9 plus S & H from Amazon affiliates this 3CD(66 track) set is a real bargain and fills my Fats Waller hole-I only owned a 1 disc The Very Best of Fats Waller, previously.

Jazz Giants '58 (Verve)

Bought this after reading about it recently on the board. First impressions - reminds me of Herb Ellis's Nothing But the Blues, a great favorite of mine, recorded in the same year for the same label and sharing three of the personnel.

Bill Dixon w. Tony Oxley: Papyrus Volume II (Soul Note)

Flute Force Four (Henry Threadgill, James Newton, Pedro Eustache, Melecio Magdaluyo): Flutistry (Black Saint)

How are these? Been meaning to pick up more of Dixon's Soul Note work.

Haven't listened yet, but I'll let you know.

Holy Ghost - Listened to Flutistry today. This is one that seemed to slip under the radar when it was released (1997) - at least under my radar. It's a recording that demands attention - if you're not truly listening, it will probably make no impression at all.

If you do give it your full attention, it will repay that attention. The six tracks combine precomposing and improvised composing.

Some of the fun of listening to this is to try and hear which is which. On first listen, I had some opinions but I'm sure I'll hear more with further listens. I'm sure there will be more.

The magnetic pull of the Death Star.. er Amoeba finally pulled me in yesterday.

Sound of Love - Paul Motian (w/ Frisell & Lovano)

Her First Dance - Misha Alperin

The Complete Aladdin Recordings - Lightnin' Hopkins

31-aZXsA-sL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41XR3QMAVCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Belonging - Keith Jarrett

Fillmore East: April 1971 - Grateful Dead

Edited by WorldB3

Picked up in a market a few days ago:

Junior Mance 'Live At The Top' (UK Atlantic/Polydor LP)

'Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins' (UK HMV original mono - brand spanking mint !)

Jimmy Smith 'Bashin' - The Unpredictable Jimmy Smith' (UK HMV/Verve LP). Again - mint !

£14 the lot ! :excited:

Perhaps this one should be headed "What music didn't you buy today?" Called in yesterday at the splendidly-named Hairy Records, a used record store in Liverpool, to find that their small jazz CD section had disappeared. Not surprised! When I'd previously asked the owner for used jazz CDs, he replied (in strong Liverpool accent): "No calll for 'em. Trouble with these jazz people is, if they buy something, they keep it and never sell it on" :)

Perhaps this one should be headed "What music didn't you buy today?" Called in yesterday at the splendidly-named Hairy Records, a used record store in Liverpool, to find that their small jazz CD section had disappeared. Not surprised! When I'd previously asked the owner for used jazz CDs, he replied (in strong Liverpool accent): "No calll for 'em. Trouble with these jazz people is, if they buy something, they keep it and never sell it on" :)

we did have several such threads actually,

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9122

but this is not the one i remembered

I noticed that Newbury Comics has a sale on some OJCs (seemingly not a huge number, but scattered) at Amazon Marketplace. I ordered Elmo Hope Homecoming and Charles McPherson McPherson's Mood. Would have shopped around for more, but have had to cut back the CD budget of late...

Edited by T.D.

ordered

Yoch'ko Seffer / Siegfried Kessler "Play Ellington"

Tommy Chase / Ray Warleigh featuring Jon Eardley "One way"

and (my first mosaic...) just found a copy of the john patton select at a local store, 40 euro... guess the price was ok but not great ,thought getting around the trouble with customs and shipping and waiting is also worth something...

It's Saturday evening here in the UK. Millions of shoppers have arrived home laden with 'stuff'. Some of them may be enjoying their new purchases, others may be searching for the receipt in order to exchange it tomorrow (in the UK now, Saturday and Sunday are almost interchangeable, except for car-boot sales and 'Antiques Roadshow').

So. What music did you buy?

I'm aware that many of you may have huge stockpiles of records in a queue and lots of you may buy online. Me? No music today. Next week maybe.

Cheers, tonym.

Just received from various on line orders:

Mulligan - Jeru - Sony/Legacy

O. Coleman - Beauty is a rare thing - Rhino

O. Coleman - The Complete Science Fiction Sessions - Sony/Legacy

O. Coleman - Skies of America

Tjader, Getz - Sextet - SACD

D. Ellington - Piano on the background

O. Peterson Trio + one - VME

R. Kirk - Domino - VME

MJQ - Last concert - Atlantic

MJQ - European concert - Atlantic

Chet Baker - Big Band

Where can I purchase free time?

Alex

Tommy Chase / Ray Warleigh featuring Jon Eardley "One way"

Interesting! Is that the one with my old friend Danny Padmore on bass?

that's the one! had never heard of it, always thought "ray warleigh's first album" was his only one and was pretty excited to see there was another album, and even on cd for a nice price...

51XcgL6FliL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Way-Tommy-Chas...2180&sr=8-1

it's not yet here but i will pay special attention to the bass playing

Edited by Niko