What music did you buy today?

tonym

Tommy Chase / Ray Warleigh featuring Jon Eardley "One way"

Interesting! Is that the one with my old friend Danny Padmore on bass?

that's the one! had never heard of it, always thought "ray warleigh's first album" was his only one and was pretty excited to see there was another album, and even on cd for a nice price...

51XcgL6FliL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Way-Tommy-Chas...2180&sr=8-1

it's not yet here but i will pay special attention to the bass playing

Great! Danny and I were part of the Leeds jazz scene in the 1960s, together with Brian Priestley, Dave Cliff and Peter Ind - who gave Danny invaluable bass lessons. Danny is still playing, though I think the record you've bought was his only time in the recording studio.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! Danny and I were part of the Leeds jazz scene in the 1960s, together with Brian Priestley, Dave Cliff and Peter Ind - who gave Danny invaluable bass lessons. Danny is still playing, though I think the record you've bought was his only time in the recording studio.

cool! looking forward to that record even more then... can't watch it from work, but is that him?

cool! looking forward to that record even more then... can't watch it from work, but is that him?

Yes, that's him! However did you find that, Nico? Thanks, I shall be sending that on to other friends.

Yes, that's him! However did you find that, Nico? Thanks, I shall be sending that on to other friends.

found it via google... actually searching directly on youtube is often enough more effective; like, searching dircectly on youtube i found a second clip of that band featuring your friend

512774YZ3VL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Clark Terry - Swahili

This Lonehill two-fer combines "Clark Terry" (Terry-tpt, Jimmy Cleveland-tb, Cecil Payne-bs, Horace Silver-p, Oscar Pettiford-c/b, Wendell Marshall-b, Art Blakey-d.), his first leadership date, with "Jimmy Hamilton And The New York Jazz Quintet" (Terry-tpt, Jimmy Hamilton-cl, Barry Galbraith-g, Oscar Pettiford-b, Sidney Gross-rhy g, Osie Johnson-d). Another nice find at Half-Price Books.

found proof that it does pay off (well, not financially) to go to the same used cd shops again and again even if the selection has always been dull... found, for 5, 6, 7, 7, and 8 euro

Valdo Williams - New Advanced Jazz

Charles Williams - Trees and Grass and Things

Doug Carn - Adam's Apple

Randy Weston - Monterey 1966

Cal Green - Trippin

Just placed an order for: Anderson / Drake / Jordan / Parker -- "Two Days in April"

andersonDrake2Days.jpg

if someone with the photoshop skills made a genuine pablo album out of this, i wouldn't mind :) (all you have to do is change the type to something strange and maybe make the whole thing 30 percent darker)

Among the recent purchases I've made, I'm quite looking forward to this one:

Lane / Grassi / Whitecage -- "Drunk Butterfly"

laneDrunkButterfly.jpg

Tight review here.

The nut graph (for me):

Lane on bass, Grassi on drums, Whitecage on sax. And it is a winner: warm, melodic and rhythmic. Every tune is composed with a clear theme, but the improvisations can be quite free, and the three Adam Lane tunes are very bluesy. His "Sanctum" is an example in case, with a beautiful tune, vaguely reminiscent of French bass player Henri Texier's take at composition.

Any music that recalls Texier is worth investigating. Add to it "warm, melodic and rhythmic" with free improvisation ... I'm in. :excited:

Found in Goodwill today:

Fania All Stars tribute to Tito Rodriguez (Fania)

Orchestra Harlem "El Judio Maravilloso" (Fania)

Hector Lavoe "De Ti Depende" (Fania) *

Sonora Poncena "Exploranda" (Inca)

Bobby Valentin (Bronco)

Benny Goodman in Moscow gatefold (RCA)

The Julliard Quartet: Charles Ives "The Two String Quartets" (Columbia)

Went down to my local Boogie Woogie used CD store today for a fix and .... GASP! ... empty. Closed!! ... moved inventory to another location a little out of the way. So anyways, came home and soothed my disappointment by ordering this one, prompted by this thread, actually:

Mauger (Mahanthappa, Dresser, Hemingway) -- "The Beautiful Enabler" (Clean Feed)

maugerEnabler.jpg

:tup

Edited by papsrus

A couple of Keith Jarrett releases that I've been meaning to check out for quite some time, and a bunch of historical (original member) Borodin String Quartet releases.

Jarrett, Keith : Spheres

Jarrett, Keith : Dark Intervals

Beethoven / Borodin Quartet : Beethoven: String Quartets Op 18 / Borodin String Quartet

Borodin Quartet / Debussy / Ravel : Historical - Debussy, Ravel: String Quartets / Borodin

Borodin Quartet / Brahms / Mozart : Historical - Brahms, Mozart / Borodin String Quartet

Borodin / Borodin String Quartet : Historical - Borodin: String Quartets / Borodin Quartet

Borodin String QT. : Historical - Tchaikovsky: Complete String Quartets / Borodin

In the mail today, a handful of Prestige (1 Riverside) titles from Newbury's 1-cent CD auctions on Ebay:

Don Friedman - Circle Waltz / Billy Taylor - Cross Section

51ul0ykt9kL._SL500_AA240_.jpg412HC8S7S0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Mose Allison - Autumn Song / Mose Allison - Down Home Piano

414KKCB8SDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51zdLKRjXQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cedar Walton - Spectrum

21HPRGCG1QL._SL500_AA130_.jpg

Edited by mikelz777