What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to MOPDTK's "Shamokin!!!" prompted me to grab this one, from CD Universe.

51baPsrdOuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I like wintersway's description: "It's bop that has a sharp stick to poke at cliches!!"

As one might gather from the band's name to the album titles, this is loose, fun, edgy, ragged, a little over-the-top, irreverent <------ like that.

Great cover there. The man on the right almost catches Charlie's "serial killer" look!

Listening to MOPDTK's "Shamokin!!!" prompted me to grab this one, from CD Universe.

51baPsrdOuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I like wintersway's description: "It's bop that has a sharp stick to poke at cliches!!"

As one might gather from the band's name to the album titles, this is loose, fun, edgy, ragged, a little over-the-top, irreverent <------ like that.

Great cover there. The man on the right almost catches Charlie's "serial killer" look!

It is. Unfortunately the disc, while listed as being "available," was instead on back order. I've had a bit of a hard time tracking this one down, so I doubt they'd be able to get it anytime soon, if at all. So ... I canceled the order and (with the resulting store credit) ordered this one:

Charlie Parker -- "Washington D.C. 1948" (Uptown)

51OcULmNDjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Joe Lovano Nonet, 52nd Street Themes (Blue Note)

Not like me to buy an album recorded in 2000 by one of today's jazz "stars", but an old bebopper like me couldn't resist this superbly managed tribute to the forties' music of Dameron, Bird, Miles and Monk! And how did I get on to it? Hearing a track on Jazz with Eric in the Evening on KGBH. I hear distinct echoes of Archie Shepp in Lovano's tenor and recall that Shepp has also made forays into bop territory. Cook and Morton list Looking at Bird with NHOP, but I have distant recollections of a very Birdish Shepp album with Horace Parlan. I think they covered Parker tunes. Can anyone help me identify which album that might have been?

how is it? i don't usually buy lovano albums either but this one caught my interest... (forgot the details but isn't some guy who once had freddie webster and tadd dameron (as well as lovano's dad or dameron's brother... completely forgot the details) in his cleveland band doing the arrangements...?

how is it? i don't usually buy lovano albums either but this one caught my interest... (forgot the details but isn't some guy who once had freddie webster and tadd dameron (as well as lovano's dad or dameron's brother... completely forgot the details) in his cleveland band doing the arrangements...?

I strongly recommend it. If you like Dameron bands and have an ear for latter-day tenor, you can't go wrong. The highly authentic history of arranger Willie "Face" Smith is related in Michael Cuscuna's liner note.

These two cheapos turned up today

51G9C60Y6DL._SS400_.jpg

Spent a long time working out that I had all of this except six tracks on LP; I hoped there'd be more that I hadn't got but I'm very glad to have now his single record for Aladdin. Haven't listened to it yet.

Because I've been too taken with this

51TMEEN3XYL._SS400_.jpg

Wow! What an INCREDIBLE band!!!! It covers 1927 and 1931-1936. Not bad personnel - Coleperson Hawkins, Benny Carter, Ben Webster, Chu Berry, Buster Bailey, Hilton Jefferson, Russel Procope, Red Allan, Roy Eldridge, Jimmy Hamilton, J C Higginbotham, Dicky Wells, Benny Morton, Fats Waller, John Kirby, Sid Catlett. And sometimes, on some of the 1932 and 1933 tracks, the band - the ensemble, that is - just leans back and WAILS!!!!!!! Wails in a way you sometimes hear a soloist like Teddy Edwards or Sonny Criss, or Hawk himself, wail, but never a whole effin' band! I think they're Horace Henderson arrangements but I'm not entirely convinced it's the arrangements; I suspect someone like Red Allen was putting a little extra something. Perhaps Horace was poking him up the backside with a sharp stick :)

Phew!!!

Oh, and by the way, is that guy on the cover who looks like a BBC newsreader from the forties REALLY Fletcher Henderson?

MG

Another nice used cd haul at various shops:

Mel Lewis Sextet-Mode/VSOP

Spring Heel Jack-The Sweetness of the Water-Thirsty Ear

Art Pepper Quartet-Modern Art-Aladdin/BN Vol. 2

Albert Ayler-New Grass-Impulse/Verve LPR

Arranged/Played/Composed by Jack Montrose w/ Bob Gordon-Atlantic/Koch Jazz

The Ira Sullivan Quintet-Nicky's Tune-Delmark

By mail:

Nat Adderley and The Big Sax Section. Jimmy Heath contributes six charts. Nice OOP set from Newbury Comics.

Kenny Wheeler: Gnu High. I've played this twice and it's growing on me.

Chick Corea/Miroslav Vitous/ Roy Haynes: Trio Music Live In Europe. I really like this

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette: Standards Live

McCoy Tyner: Trident

My local record store-Euclid Records-a clutch of Japanese Blue Notes. I picked up McCoy Tyner-Tender Moments; Horace Parlan-Us Three; Hank Mobley Sextet. Left behind a set by Don Wilkerson with Grant Green. Did I make a mistake in leaving this behind?I've never heard him.

Again, at Euclid Records-Jarrett/Peacock/DeJohnette: Setting Standards/New York Sessions

Peace,

Blue Trane

Left behind a set by Don Wilkerson with Grant Green. Did I make a mistake in leaving this behind?I've never heard him.

Depends. Don was a great, underappreciated, sax player. But not for everyone. If you like jazz played with great joy, exuberance and funk, all three of his BN albums are great. If you prefer more thoughtful stuff, it's possibly not for you.

MG

Despite good intentions to cut back on CD buying, it's really hard when merchants like Borders and Half-Price Books are offering coupons ranging from 20% to 50% off. I couldn't resist making the following buys:

Eric Alexander - Prime Time: In Concert (CD/DVD) / Full Range

31gpCRm+pBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41SWBM2BQZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I have only 3 Eric Alexander CDs in my collection and enjoy them all so he's more than worthy of a broader representation in my collection.

Buck Clayton-Earl Hines All-Stars - Jazz From A Swinging Era (2-CD)

41CZ8X4BKVL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Recorded in Paris in 1967. Also featuring Roy Eldridge, Vic Dickenson, Budd Johnson, Bud Freeman, Earle Warren, Sir Charles Thompson, Oliver Jackson, Bill Pemberton.

Sonny Stitt - My Mother's Eyes

51agY1QZKnL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I'm taking a chance on this one. Stitt and Charles Kynard seem like an interesting combo. There's also some bonus tracks with Don Patterson on organ.

Various artists - Stompin' Singers & Western Swingers: More from the Golden Age of Western Swing (4-CD)

61NCA8AD5ML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Half-Price Books had several Proper box sets for sale and this was one that still had the CDs in jewel boxes. I have and very much enjoy their other western swing box set and have little doubt I'll very much enjoy this one as well.

Despite good intentions to cut back on CD buying, it's really hard when merchants like Borders and Half-Price Books are offering coupons ranging from 20% to 50% off. I couldn't resist making the following buys:

I'm taking a chance on this one. Stitt and Charles Kynard seem like an interesting combo. There's also some bonus tracks with Don Patterson on organ.

thanks for bringing this one to my attention, hadn't noticed it was available. Found a bargain copy straight away. on the player now, nice stuff!

thanks for bringing this one to my attention, hadn't noticed it was available. Found a bargain copy straight away. on the player now, nice stuff!

You're welcome. It's, probably not essential but it's still nice stuff! Kynard's debut was the biggest draw for me. I was kind of ambivalent on the first listen but warmed up to it quite a bit more on the second listen.

Edited by mikelz777