What music did you buy today?

tonym

Didn't buy anything today since I had an early morning flight, but yesterday I picked up 4 old Bethlehem titles for $2.50 each: Betty Roche's Take the A Train, Charlie Persip's Jazz Statesmen, Teddy Charles's Salute To Hamp, and Claude Williamson's Round 'Midnight.

Unfortunately, the bag containing the CDs got mixed up with some other stuff in the car and my grandfather ended up taking them across the state before I realized what had happened. <_<

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see... bought online a copy of the Jimmy Lyons "Push/Pull" 3LP set on Hat Hut, but I haven't got anything in a store in a minute. Almost bought a couple of things yesterday, but decided that they would've been surrogates for something I really wanted (like the Lyons). Might, based on another thread, get that "Leapin' and Lopin'" CD (like I'll run into a nice LP copy anytime soon!). In non music purchases, bought several beers, hummus and salad, and cigarettes (yipes!) over the weekend.

The latest Mingus "Tijuana Moods" reissue. But I didn't see the thread about it until just a couple of minutes ago.

Hoped to find Duke Pearson's "Sweet Honey Bee," but the store didn't have it.

I've about given up on finding stuff in stock here in KC. Borders and Barnes and Noble are WAY too pricey, and Streetside seems to be in the process of phasing out jazz completely. :tdown I do most of my buying at CDUniverse these days, although I miss the fun of going through all the stock (ala Jazz Record Mart).

I'm going to Chicago for a gig in a couple of weeks- maybe I'll make a stop there!

I'm jonesin' for that place! :rsmile:

clifford_thornton Posted on Apr 4 2004, 07:06 PM

Let's see... bought online a copy of the Jimmy Lyons "Push/Pull" 3LP set on Hat Hut,

Just curious, was this an ebay purchase? I'm having a hell of a time finding any Hat Hut/Art LPs out here in the PNW. I remember seeing a lot of titles on this label at Stereo Jacks in Cambridge, MA over a year ago, but I just didn't have the dough at the time. Needless to say, I am kicking myself over this major gaffe. These are the situations for which credit cards exist.

My weekend purchases....

Jeff Hamilton - Best Things Happen... (Azica)

Al Grey - Centerpiece, Live At The Blue Note (Telarc)

Rickey Woodard- The Silver Strut (Concord)

Junior Mance - Happy Time (Jazzland)

Hampton Hawes - All Night Session! Vol. 2 (Contemporary)

Duke Pearson - Sweet Honey Bee (Blue Note)

Pepper Adams - 10 to 4 at the Five-Spot (Riverside)

In addition to my saturday purchases - went to Zweitausendeins at Frankfurt once more, to get a birthday present for our godson: John Coltrane, Birthday Celebration ( ;) ), a 3 CD selection of his sessions for Prestige and Riverside.

Got the last in store copies of some more Atlantic reissues:

The Blue Yusef Lateef

Hank Crawford, More Soul

Pete Christlieb & Warne Marsh, Apogee

Found a used copy of something I've been wanting for quite awhile: It's MISTER Fathead, the 32 jazz compilation of Davie "Fathead" Newman's first four albums on 2 CD's. The first two in particular are really nice; first album has Ray Charles himself on piano, the second features Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Charlie Persip. Not bad! How I wish 32jazz were still in business, bad covers and all (and this one actually has a good cover!) :tup:g

In honor of Easter. To celebrate the fact that I can hear out of my left ear again. And my new found love for the Hat Hut label, I bought a bunch of mid-range Hat Hut cds -- a lot of artists I've never heard before, but, hey, life is an adventure!

-- Clusone 3: An Hour With...

-- Clusone 3: Rara Avis

-- Franz Koglmann / Lee Konitz: We Thought About Duke

-- Myra Melford & Han Bennink: Eleven Ghosts

-- Richard Grossman Trio: Where the Sky Ended

-- Richard Grossman Trio: Even Your Ears

-- Anthony Braxton: (Basel) 1977

-- Misha Mengelberg: The Root of the Problem

It'll keep me busy for awhile. B)