What music did you buy today?

tonym

Buyu Ambroise--Marasa (Jazzmel)

Jean Michel Pilc--True Story

Hank Mobley and John Handy are on their way from Mosaic, but Hank Crawford showed up today. I blame The Magnificent Goldberg for this; his recent blindfold test made me realize how little I knew about Mr. Crawford - kind of embarrassing for an alto sax player. So I ordered this from Oldies; seven of HC's Atlantic albums on four CDs. I'm playing From the Heart right now; I said "Damn!" twice in the first 30 seconds. Better late than never, I guess.

Yup!

Skip the Kudus, go for the Milestones next. Nary a dud. (Oh, except for the one with Richie Cole.)

MG

Bossa International (if that is the one you are referring to) is notable as the only live CD release featuring Emily Remler. It's not a dud.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buyu Ambroise--Marasa (Jazzmel)

Jean Michel Pilc--True Story

Hank Mobley and John Handy are on their way from Mosaic, but Hank Crawford showed up today. I blame The Magnificent Goldberg for this; his recent blindfold test made me realize how little I knew about Mr. Crawford - kind of embarrassing for an alto sax player. So I ordered this from Oldies; seven of HC's Atlantic albums on four CDs. I'm playing From the Heart right now; I said "Damn!" twice in the first 30 seconds. Better late than never, I guess.

Yup!

Skip the Kudus, go for the Milestones next. Nary a dud. (Oh, except for the one with Richie Cole.)

MG

Bossa International (if that is the one you are referring to) is notable as the only live CD release featuring Emily Remler. It's not a dud.

It is from Hank's point of view. He should have taken his baritone sax instead.

MG

Art Tatum, Fats Waller, James P.Johnson - The Gods Are In The House

Art Tatum - Jazz Biography

Art Tatum - Performance

Brigitte Fontaine and The Art Ensemble of Chicago - Comme A La Radio

Burton Greene - Ins And Outs

Burton Greene - Throptics

Damien Jurado - St.Bartlett

Hoquiam - Hoquiam (Vinyl)

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo De Cotonou - Echos Hypnotiques, 1969 - 1979 (Vinyl)

Roy Brooks - The Free Slave (Vinyl)

Sunny Murray - Big Chief (Vinyl)

V.A. - Ecstatic Music Of The Jemaa El Fna (Vinyl)

V.A. - Ethiopia Ari Polyphonies

V.A.- Ethiopian Urban Modern Music Volume 1: Ethiopian Soul And Groove (Vinyl)

Edited by jostber

e44596ds8yd.jpg

Cecilia Coleman - Young And Foolish

I finally found a copy of this (used-like new) for a reasonable price. It's always nice to pick up something that's been on the radar for a couple of years. I got it for about what you'd pay for a CD at regular retail prices. (When you're used to seeking out bargains and buying at bargain prices, even retail prices kind of seem like a lot.) I grabbed it because I've never seen it lower than this and probably never will.

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 - Horenstein/Pro Musica Symphony Vienna (Vox)

Feldman: Piano and Orchestra/Flute and Orchestra/Oboe and Orchestra/Cello and Orchestra - Woodward/Staege/Aussem/Palm/Hans Zender/Saarbrucken Radio Symphony Orchestra (CPO)

The Tallis Scholars Sing Palestrina (Gimell)

Carl Stamitz: Clarinet Concertos Volume 1 - Takashima/Okazaki/Kalman Berkes/Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia (Naxos)

Went down to a local Newbury Comics and came home with this take....

1. McCoy Tyner - Trident

2. Johnny Griffin - White Gardenia

3. Mal Waldron - Mal 4

4. On Stage - Farlow/Jones/Norvo/Hanna & Ray Brown

5. Art Farmer - On the Road

6. Cedar Walton - Spectrum

7. Oscar Peterson - Skol (SACD)

8. Art Pepper - Getting Together (SACD)

9. Lee Konitz - Satori

10. Art Pepper - Arthur's Blues..

Total - $46.90.... :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

(all new except the Tyner for about $4 or $5 each)...

THAT (and my long ass listening queue) should tide me over for a while...

Got no business going into a record store right now - I've have a backlog of unheard music and have gotten three box sets in the mail in the last week and a half. But I couldn't resist stopping in one of my used record/CD spots today, and I'm glad I did. Someone had brought in a bunch of jazz, mostly post-Coltrane. I walked out with:

AALY Trio + Ken Vandermark - Stumble (Wobbly Rail)

Territory Band -1 - Transatlantic Bridge (Okkadisk)

Sun Ra - Horizon (Art Yard)

Peter Kowald - Duos: Europa/America/Japan (FMP) I'm really excited about this one.

John Cage - Violin Music; Paul Zukofsky, violin (CP2)

and the odd man out:

Stanley Turrentine - Sugar (CTI) Haven't heard this for 20 years. I suspect that I'll like it better now than I did then - I was quite a snob.

I suspect that I'll like it better now than I did then - I was quite a snob.

I suspect most of us were in our younger days. One of the joys of getting on in years is knowing that you can enjoy music on many levels and ignore the hierarchies (either the ones decided by others or the ones you invent for yourself!).

Edited by Bev Stapleton

51QWSEJAQVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Barney Kessel - Some Like It Hot

What a line-up! Barney Kessel, Art Pepper, Joe Gordon, Jimmy Rowles, Jack Marshall, Monty Budwig and Shelly Manne.

41DXQQNJCQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yusef Lateef - Lost In Sound

A straight-ahead date where Lateef sticks to tenor and I do so love him on tenor

Pieter Wispelwey and Dean Lazic: Sonatas for Cello and Piano - Shostakovich; Prokofiev; Britten

Margaret Johnson 1923-1927

Cecil Taylor: Artists House Presents the Jazz Master Class Series from NYU - DVD

The above was partially funded by the Herb Alpert Foundation. I wonder what will happen when Quincy Jones lets Herb know what he helped pay for this time.

Edited by paul secor