What music did you buy today?

tonym

Today:

Kevin Eubanks: Live at Bradley's

Greg Osby: Invisible Hand

John Coltrane: Giant Steps (Rhino Replica)

Branford Marsalis: Metamorphosen

Yesterday:

Ella At Juan Les Pins

David Murray: Big Band, Saxmen

Roy Hargrove's Crisol: Habana

Michael Brecker: Now You See It, Now You Don't

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51P2yr0aq8L._SX100_.jpg

HOXHA: Dylan van der Schyff, drums; Paul Rutherford, trombone; Ken Vandermark, tenor sax, clarinet; Torsten Muller, bass. Recorded live in Portland, Oregon, December 12, 2004. SPool Records CD. I'm a huge Vandermark fan, and this looked like an interesting situation for him. Plus the other musicians are all first-rate.

Edited by Leeway

Found these four LPs at the local rekkid shop this morning:

Lester Bowie/Philip Wilson Duets

Clifford Thornton - Gardens of Harlem

Roswell Rudd - Inside Job -- never heard of this before. Nice Wildflowers era loft set with Enrico Rava on trumpet.

Leroy Jenkins - The Legend of Ai Glatson -- another one I've never heard of. Excellent trio with Anthony Davis and Andrew Cyrille.

I was excited to find a Lucky Thompson CD I was not familiar with - Soul's Nite Out on the Spanish Ensayo label. A little research shows that it's the same session as Nessa's Body and Soul, which has been on my list for my next Nessa order. So sorry, Chuck. But I will be placing an order for some other stuff soon.

A lot of Documents:

Blind Willie McTell - Statesboro Blues The Early Years 1927 ~ 1935

Buddy Moss - Vol 3 1935 - 1941

Casey Bill Weldon Vol 2 - 1936 - 1937

Charley Lincoln & Willie Baker - 1927 - 1930

Ed Bell - 1927 - 1930

Frank (Springback) James & George Curry - 1934 - 1938

Frankie (Half-Pint) Jaxon - Vol 3 1937 - 1940

Harlem Hamfats - Vol 3 1937 - 1938

Heavenly Gospel Singers - Vol 3 1938 - 1939

Jack Newman - 1938

Jaybird Coleman & The Birmingham Jug Band - 1927 - 1930

J T (Funny Paper) Smith - 1930 - 1931

Kid Prince Moore - 1936 - 1938

Lee Brown - 1937-40

Lizzie Miles - Vol 2 1923 - 1928

Sam Collins - 1927 - 1931

V.A. - Bankers And Blues

V.A. - Blues & Gospel From The Eastern States 1925 - 1944

V.A. - Boogie Woogie & Barrelhouse Piano Vol 2 1928 - 1930

V.A. - Jazz & Blues Piano Vol 2 1924 - 1947

V.A. - Sinners And Saints

William Harris & Buddy Boy Hawkins - 1927 - 1929

And an all new release of unissued Fred McDowell. A great presentation on the web site:

Fred McDowell - Come And Found You Gone

http://devildownrecords.com/

I was excited to find a Lucky Thompson CD I was not familiar with - Soul's Nite Out on the Spanish Ensayo label. A little research shows that it's the same session as Nessa's Body and Soul, which has been on my list for my next Nessa order. So sorry, Chuck. But I will be placing an order for some other stuff soon.

That's ok. FWIW, I reversed the sides because I thought the program flowed better that way - start with side 2 to see what I mean. Lucky was more than pleased.

OTOH, if you want to order, please do 'cause I'm creating a whirlpool of disappearing cash as I work on 5 reissues and 2 new releases. I hear cds are going away, so I want to be in the wash. :unsure:

A lot of Documents:

Blind Willie McTell - Statesboro Blues The Early Years 1927 ~ 1935

Buddy Moss - Vol 3 1935 - 1941

Casey Bill Weldon Vol 2 - 1936 - 1937

Charley Lincoln & Willie Baker - 1927 - 1930

Ed Bell - 1927 - 1930

Frank (Springback) James & George Curry - 1934 - 1938

Frankie (Half-Pint) Jaxon - Vol 3 1937 - 1940

Harlem Hamfats - Vol 3 1937 - 1938

Heavenly Gospel Singers - Vol 3 1938 - 1939

Jack Newman - 1938

Jaybird Coleman & The Birmingham Jug Band - 1927 - 1930

J T (Funny Paper) Smith - 1930 - 1931

Kid Prince Moore - 1936 - 1938

Lee Brown - 1937-40

Lizzie Miles - Vol 2 1923 - 1928

Sam Collins - 1927 - 1931

V.A. - Bankers And Blues

V.A. - Blues & Gospel From The Eastern States 1925 - 1944

V.A. - Boogie Woogie & Barrelhouse Piano Vol 2 1928 - 1930

V.A. - Jazz & Blues Piano Vol 2 1924 - 1947

V.A. - Sinners And Saints

William Harris & Buddy Boy Hawkins - 1927 - 1929

And an all new release of unissued Fred McDowell. A great presentation on the web site:

Fred McDowell - Come And Found You Gone

http://devildownrecords.com/

A friend sent me a link to that Fred McDowell release last week. The clips sound very good, but I'm not sure I need more Fred McDowell at this point in my life.

Edited by paul secor

A friend sent me a link to that Fred McDowell release last week. The clips sound very good, but I'm not sure I need more Fred McDowell at this point in my life.

That was my first thought. My second was that I always need more Napoleon Strickland, who plays on at least some of the album.

I got off the fence and ordered the Wes Montgomery - Complete Riverside set from True Blue Music today. I probably paid too much ($150), but it's the large set version, brand new, no sales tax, free shipping, and I'm ready for some new music. Also, I like to help out Mosaic when I can.

How's that for a bit of rationalization? Now let's see if it works on my wife. :g

riversidemontgomery.gif

A little shopping trip to Cardiff today and I popped into Kelly's and got a few nice ones.

Lionel Hampton - Flying home - Verve

Lionel_Hampton_Flying_Home.jpg

This POlydor UK pressing has a horrid-looking mark all across side 2. So I asked if it could bechecked and was directed to a turntable to do it myself. No noise at all! But that Hampton man was playing a hell of a lot of vibes! Then I realised the machine was still set at 45 rpm :g

It's a great album and I'm really pleased with it. OP doesn't sound too bad on this. There's a thing about him that he plays so much piano because he can. But really, Hamp was like that, too! They go well together. I've never been much in tune with Buddy Rich either, but he's ever so right for this job. Buddy de Franco & Ray Brown are in there, too.

Erskine Hawkins orch - Horizons du jazz 17 - RCA France - no image for this, which is a pity.

Nice long LP - 16 tracks, of which I had 6 already. So I'm pleased. I've been wanting more Hawkins for a while.

Earl Grant - Trade winds - Decca (Brunswick UK)

3voear26.jpg

I suspected lounge from the start, and it is. But there's enough going on to hold my interest - particularly Plas Johnson on some cuts. And for lounge, there are surprises - "Quiet village" not Latinised but played with a slightly rolling bump and grind - oh very nice!

Earl Grant - The versatile Earl Grant - Decca (Colortune) Deep Groove!!!

earlgrant.jpg

Mostly not lounge - kind of polite R&B, but swinging. Again Plas Johnson makes some terrific appearances. Oh and Earl put words to "Honky tonk" - ain't that fine?

What is this label Colortune? The inner sleeve has a Decca Harlequin with the globe on his right forefinger, but the disc & sleeve say it was licensed from Decca. Was this some kind of Decca record club?

MG