Legendary Profile

Modern Jazz Quartet

Plastic Dreams

Mike Nichols & Elaine May

Retrospect

Buddy Rich

Speak No Evil

51HJJNGCMBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's a moment on that where Sid Catlett is on doing a solo, and the audience starts laughing. Always makes me wonder what they're laughing at - is it something he's doing, or something maybe Dizzy is doing in the background ? (I expect this is a rhetorical question)

51HJJNGCMBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's a moment on that where Sid Catlett is on doing a solo, and the audience starts laughing. Always makes me wonder what they're laughing at - is it something he's doing, or something maybe Dizzy is doing in the background ? (I expect this is a rhetorical question)

There's a lot of what-Dizzy-is-doing-in-the-background laughter on his live recordings. It's probably that.

There's a lot of what-Dizzy-is-doing-in-the-background laughter on his live recordings. It's probably that.

Right. That's a shame - I thought maybe he was doing all the drumming with one arm while eating a sandwich or something.

I was about to post this, when my wireless dongle packed up. Decided I wasn't going to replace the dongle - I'd get a new computer. What with one thing and another, I've only just got the new machine connected to the internet. So this is what I got on 25 April !

I’ve liked Bill Black’s Combo forever; since I bought ‘Smokie’ when it came out here in 1959, in fact. And I’ve kept most of the 45s I bought of the band, through thick and thin. I was listening to a few of the 45s a week or so ago and decided that I should really have a few of their CDs.

So today’s postbag brought

31Q3RfK9TqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

311DX8RE0WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41YDOLALQFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It was usually the B sides of the singles I liked best. These would often be slow blues tunes, usually originals, featuring very relaxed piano and even more relaxed tenor sax, by Ace Cannon. And there’s a lot of this type of stuff on the CDs.

And many thanks to Paul, for making me realise that this isn't a compilation also featuring the Mills Brothers but a 2 disc set of their complete Kin recordings!

61prnxY8q%2BL.jpg

Also, the postman brought this

41ZrM7YMlcL._SS500_.jpg

It's many, many decades since I bought a pop record!

MG

51Onp%2BUmgPL._SS500_.jpg

Most of the Clarke-Boland Big Band releases seem to be turning up for reasonable prices on Amazon at the moment. Like everything by them it swings like crazy.

.....and NO, I didn't buy it just for the cover!

4074.jpg

Thanks to Bev for telling us about this recent re-issue. It's really very good.