What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was Stefan Wood who posted that he'd got this, some months ago.

GUELEWAR+LP+Front+Cover+reduced.jpg

Guelewar - Halleli N'Dakarou - Touba Auto K7 (Teranga Beat)

I thought it was the Xaley N'dakarou K7 with some bonus tracks. Now I've got it, I see Xaley N'dakarou was issued as a 2 K7 set, of which I've only got one. Now that's the way to do reissues!

Interesting sleeve note all in all. Never knew Moussa Ngom came from The Gambia (though I suspected it).

Thanks for the info, Stefan.

MG

51OkEhcrg2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Art Tatum Group Masterpieces Volume Six

Paul, what you need is the complete set of Group Masterpieces.

Possibly, but I'm not a huge Tatum fan and I'd rather explore piecemeal. Also, I find that if I get a box, I'm less likely to take it off the shelf and listen to it - even listen to individual recordings from it.

Edited by paul secor

Second Spin had a 12 hour, 40% off sale yesterday when you purchased $30 (pre-discounted price) in used CDs so these came out to be less than $4 each. I think my CD collection is reaching a saturation point. Even at these prices, I really had to work at it to find enough titles I was willing to buy.

41g3B1w5dEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Johnny Cash - Bootleg Volume 1: Personal File

41TNQYYMMCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Leon Redbone - Christmas Island

51s9oWNyXjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Best of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

31YDS4W1YBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jimmy McGriff - Greatest Hits

51uQEvnWwYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bela Fleck - Tales From The Acoustic Planet

I've been enjoying Ed Bickert, Mike Murley and Steve Wallace on a just-released CD ("Test Of Time") of material recorded in 1999. The trio had been recorded live at a Toronto club, but the results were not up to everyone's expectations. Though a live record was desired, there wasn't going to be an opportunity to do in the near future, so they did a couple of sessions at the producer's (Barry Elmes) modest home setup.

But before those tapings were mixed, an opportunity came up to again record at a club. Since a "Live" release was what they originally wanted, they jumped on it and made "Live at The Senator" (Cornerstone CRST CD 113) which won a Juno -- the Canadian equivalent of a Grammy. The studio sessions lay fallow for a decade until Elmes was making safety copies of the (Artist-Owned) catalogue, and knew they should be released.

For those who love Ed Bickert's guitar playing (and who wouldn't?) these tracks are especially important as they represent some new treasures of a talent that hasn't been heard since his retirement more than a decade ago.

http://www.cornersto...s/whatsnew.html and http://mikemurley.com/ for more, including a link to a CBC site that lets you hear examples...

Today's deliveries

8717127022403.jpg

Le Mystere Jazz de Tombouctou - Le Mystere Jazz de Tombouctou - Mali Kunkan (Kindred Spirits)

Fabulous rare Mali Kunkan material from 1977, recently reissued on CD and LP by Kindred Spirits - and many thanks to Stefan Wood for posting his acquisition of the album here!

!B9ceOj!Bmk~$(KGrHqEOKnIEy0Vr5jZbBM5y6lK)1w~~_35.JPG

Kansas City Melodyaires - Softly the night is falling - Songbird (Green label, as illustrated)

The title track is the most beautiful gospel record I've ever heard - it was included in a Peacock/Songbird comp issued here in 1969 by Island. And the KC Melodyaires (later known as Mildred Clark & the Melodyaires) are one of my favourite groups of the sixties and later periods. A snip (as far as I'm concerned) on e-bay at $29 from a guy living in Olathe, KS.

MG

MG

Today's deliveries

8717127022403.jpg

Le Mystere Jazz de Tombouctou - Le Mystere Jazz de Tombouctou - Mali Kunkan (Kindred Spirits)

Fabulous rare Mali Kunkan material from 1977, recently reissued on CD and LP by Kindred Spirits - and many thanks to Stefan Wood for posting his acquisition of the album here!

MG

Good pick up; great album!!!!!

I've been enjoying Ed Bickert, Mike Murley and Steve Wallace on a just-released CD ("Test Of Time") of material recorded in 1999. The trio had been recorded live at a Toronto club, but the results were not up to everyone's expectations. Though a live record was desired, there wasn't going to be an opportunity to do in the near future, so they did a couple of sessions at the producer's (Barry Elmes) modest home setup.

But before those tapings were mixed, an opportunity came up to again record at a club. Since a "Live" release was what they originally wanted, they jumped on it and made "Live at The Senator" (Cornerstone CRST CD 113) which won a Juno -- the Canadian equivalent of a Grammy. The studio sessions lay fallow for a decade until Elmes was making safety copies of the (Artist-Owned) catalogue, and knew they should be released.

For those who love Ed Bickert's guitar playing (and who wouldn't?) these tracks are especially important as they represent some new treasures of a talent that hasn't been heard since his retirement more than a decade ago.

http://www.cornersto...s/whatsnew.html and http://mikemurley.com/ for more, including a link to a CBC site that lets you hear examples...

ccrst_140.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up Ted. Just ordered one.

Today's post

1354191039_871tgdv5.jpg

Guelewar - Touki ba Banjul; acid trip from Banjul to Dakar - Kindred Spirits

Compilation drawn from the 4 LPs the band made between 1976 and 1980, 3 of which were from tapes stolen from the band. As a fully qualified Moussa Ngom freak, I'm very pleased with this stuff, which is very early Mbalax.

It's strange that Gambian bands were ahead of the Senegalese bands in developing Mbalax.

MG