What music did you buy today?

tonym

Got an e-mail from CD Universe this morning, to say that Solar have issued (or will soon) an Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis set - 7 original albums.

I had a look and saw that I only have six of them !!!! So I went to Amazon and got myself a download of the one I never even HEARD of (because it's usually listed under 'Sweets' Edison's name, I guess.

2862.jpg

Sweets & Jaws - Jawbreakers - Riverside (OJC)

Neat sleeve concept.

Bloody nice music! Wooooo!

MG

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two albums downloaded from Amazon UK this afternoon

51PZgVNnaxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg515ajVNfPgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Coumba Gawlo - Takussan Live in Dakar - Sabar

51fBHLgghOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Coumba Gawlo - La diva a la voix d'or: 23 ans de success: disc 2 - Sabar

Got this in Paris in June but found that disc 2 had the same music on it as disc 1. Today, looking at the discs, I see they were manufactured by Princo Budget, which may be indicative :D

But this disc is bloomin' fantastic!

Haven't got onto the Takussan set yet. That's from 2004.

MG

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in another thread, I only buy downloads of music I can't get any other way. Well, after buying a warts-and-all iTunes-only Louis Armstrong session including all the outtakes, I decided to check the iTunes store to see if there was any Steve Lacy I didn't have. Yes! So now downloading:

Steve Lacy/Barry Wedgle/J.J. Avenel - Live From Lugano. I love the Lacy/Wedgle duo album Rendezvous, so I didn't think twice about buying this download-only album.

Steve Lacy/Tony Rusconi - L'Aventura. I'm unclear if this 1981 concert with an Italian percussionist was ever issued in physical form. but this Lacy fanatic thinks not. In any case, I had never heard of it before tonight.

Steve Lacy (actually Joe Puma was the bandleader) - "Indian Blanket." The only early Lacy track I haven't heard. I have the other tune from this 1956 session, "Give Me the Simple Life," on a Harmony LP, but this one was only issued on a European Jazztone anthology back in the day. I was reluctant to pay for a pirate CD to get one track I didn't have, but somehow it doesn't bother me as much to pay 69 cents for a download. I hope that Puma's estate got a few of my pennies, but I kind of doubt it.

I've generally been pretty good about not buying much these past few months. I did get a Mingus Atlantic Original Albums box set and Chick Webb Strictly Jive (Hep). While at Miguel Zenon's show at the Jazz Showcase, I bought (and had him sign) Oye. I also backed two Kickstarter projects that should (eventually) lead to some music landing in my in-box.

And inspired by a recent Kronos Quartet concert I attended, I ordered The Music of Vladimir Martynov, which is particularly notable for this quintet piece they commissioned. Joan Jeanrenaud performed as 2nd cello on the recording (and a handful of live concerts). The download has just completed, so I'm going to give it a whirl.

KGr_Hq_F_qs_FGh_Qbe_vr_BR_kct_F_Q_60_35_

Finally found an affordable copy at $48.

That's a steal. Great set. LPs or CDs?

CDs. My first purchase at Discogs. The US seller has a 100% rating and the CDs and book are in VG+ condition. The box has a little wear. He/she sent me some pictures.

Now here's to hoping it will get through customs unnoticed. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this up at Half Price Books for $4.50.

Chet Baker & Stan Getz - West Coast Live (2-CD)

612JS92N1WL._SY300_.jpg

I somehow discovered this one by accident and unfortunately the group only put out two releases which is a shame because these guys have a great sound. The Prestige CD pictured below contains all but 1 song from their two releases, The Modern Jazz Disciples and Right Down Front. There is also a Fresh Sounds release of the same material which includes the song missing from the Prestige release. I really dig their sound. Beside piano, bass and drums, the lead instruments are alto/tenor sax and the normaphone. I had no idea what a normaphone was and I discovered it's a slide trombone shaped like a sax. The Modern Jazz Disciples kind of remind me of The Jazz Crusaders. Check them out, this CD is well worth acquiring.

The Modern Jazz Disciples - Disciple's Blues

51liY995XaL._SX300_.jpg

Normaphone.jpg

Edited by mikelz777

Finally couldn't resist buying the Rubinstein Complete Albums Box and Haydn Complete Symphonies with the Importcds 10% off sale. Then had to add Lester Bowie All The Numbers (nessa) and Flute Fever (international phonograph as a pre order) to the order.

When I write "couldn't resist" and "had to" about spending money, that's a clue I need to be careful. :-)