What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look at the CD version the other day. Not sure... Some of his work is just OK. That set looks as if it doesn't have 'Dresses too short' included. Oh, I see it does, with a less than satisfactory sleeve :D

MG

So far I'm digging everything.

Let us know what you think when you finish.

Interesting thing about Syl Johnson is that he started out as a Mississippi blues guitarist - I think he was in either Junior Wells' or Magic Sam's band - before he turned to soul. Can't think of any others with that kind of career pattern.

MG

Late last night, got a download of this lot from Amazon

MI0003385096.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Illinois Jacquet - Five classic albums - only £4.99, so I didn't mind that I already had the last 2.

Today, a shopping expotition to Cardiff, playing a certain tenor player on me ipod all the way :D Slipped into Kelly's second hand shop and snagged four groovy goodies:

000eff3a_medium.jpeg

Count Basie - Basie Jam - Pablo (UK)

Very, very groovy!

davis_eddie_chewinthe_101b.jpg

Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis - Chewin' the fat - Spotlite

So's this one. And isn't that a fabulous photo of the man!!!!!

Lionel+Hampton+-+Blackout+-+First+Issue+

Lionel Hampton - Blackout - Who's Who in Jazz (UK Kingdom Jazz)

Listening to this now. Very modern band from 1977 - Wess, Vic Paz, G Tate, R Hanna, Janice Robinson (tb), George Mraz, Sam Turner (cga), Vinnie Bell (g)

229353.JPG

Afro-Blues Quintet + 1 - New directions - Mira (Promo)

I already had about half of this on an Ace compilation, but I don't mind that. There was another one in the shop but it looked trashed and I was bursting for a pee by the time I'd looked through the R&B & jazz, so I didn't have the time to listen to the crackles etc.

MG

UAFF_23__32995__02022010030859-6200.jpg51kKOUm0yiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg51AvsnigJnL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Steve Lacy--- Moon----(Affinity)

Sunny Murray----An even break ---(Affinity)

Archie Shepp--- Yasmina/ A Black woman ---(Affinity)

Ok, these are probably boots of boots ( I think ) but sound ok and clean enough to hear the music. All 3 bought yesterday for £8 seemed reasonable. BYG originals are hard(ish) to find and can sound pretty poor in my experience. Interesting music all worth hearing.

UAFF_23__32995__02022010030859-6200.jpg51kKOUm0yiL._SL500_AA280_.jpg51AvsnigJnL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ok, these are probably boots of boots ( I think ) but sound ok and clean enough to hear the music. All 3 bought yesterday for £8 seemed reasonable. BYG originals are hard(ish) to find and can sound pretty poor in my experience. Interesting music all worth hearing.

All good - but why boots, according to you?

All good - but why boots, according to you?

Boot might be off the mark but wasn't BYG a bit shady in it's dealing with the artists. These don't sound like needle drops but I gather some reissues of this material are. Good music none the less

Stravinsky - Firebird – Igor Stravinsky/Columbia Symphony

Stravinsky - Stravinsky Conducts Ballet Music – Jeu De Cartes/Bluebird Pas De Deux/Scenes De Ballet – Stravinsky/Cleveland Orch/Columbia Symphony Orch/

Lukas Foss - Echoi/Time Cycle – Group For Contemporary Music At Columbia University/Improvisation Chamber Ensemble

Arthur Prysock - To Love Or Not To Love

Arthur Prysock - This Is My Beloved

Arthur Prysock - Mister Prysock

Arthur Prysock - Love Makes It Right

Arthur Prysock - In A Mood With Arthur Prysock

Well we are often told that musicians didn't feel well-treated by labels, but it is really clear these performances are properly licensed and this has never been challenged. I just feel there is sometimes too much of a rush to denounce label practices. I know you didn't mean anything. Affinity was a label that served us well, even if apparently they may have occasionally seemed a little sharp to some musicians.

Good haul, good price!

Arthur Prysock - To Love Or Not To Love

Arthur Prysock - This Is My Beloved

Arthur Prysock - Mister Prysock

Arthur Prysock - Love Makes It Right

Arthur Prysock - In A Mood With Arthur Prysock

My effin' MY!!!! Some Artur Prysock fan died and Half Price books won the prize? MOST envious; I only have 'This is my beloved'.

Enjoy.

MG

I'm really in to hard bop at the moment. It's a side of jazz that i've only really warmed to in the last couple of years, hence i have some major gaps in my collection. Some recent accuistions:

Sonny Clark - Sonny's Crib

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

Sonny Clark Trio

Red Garland's Piano

Wynton Kelly - Piano

Kenny Drew Trio

After many, many years of searching for an affordable copy, I finally found a copy of Lew Tabackin's "Angelica" for under $30 at amazon.de. Now I only hope that it comes in. :)

There's even another copy left: http://www.amazon.de/Angelica-Lew-Tabackin/dp/B008Y255T2/ref=sr_1_1/279-0380511-0524428?ie=UTF8&qid=1391624616&sr=8-1&keywords=lew+tabackin+angelica

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...