What music did you buy today?

tonym

Got this album on K7 in Paris a couple of weeks ago but found alarming crackles at one point. Never looked for this because I never heard of it until I saw it there (apparently issued in 2011), but they had it at Amazon UK, so I got it yesterday evening.

61-XaofR4nL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ibro Diabate - M'maloloe - DIane Sanussi Vibrations

Good album, much in the style of the other 4 I have.

But I saw this one, too, another I'd never heard of but which came out in 2003!

51NfDHNGakL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Ibro DIabate - Esclave de l'argent - Syllart

This is a brilliant album! Completely different from his other work.

And today, the postman brought

71fY-qWmgoL._SL1500_.jpg

John Patton - Blue John - BN SHM thingy

Really nice bonus tracks - very pleased.

MG

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brahms Violin Concerto — Francescatti/Ormandy (had high hopes for this because I’ve been getting into Francescatti and have enjoyed everything I’ve heard from him so far, but he seems rather detached here)

Yes, it's on what might be called the "aristocratic" side, but I listened again today and take back what I said above about Francescatti being "rather detached" here. It's a marvelous performance, and the playing of Ormandy's Philadelphia Orchestra is damn good too.

I previewed a couple of tracks from Blue John on the internet and think it's a very dull, lightweight record. Much as I enjoyed That Certain Feeling, Let 'Em Roll and Along Came John, Blue John confirmed my prejudices against jazz organ. If the five new tracks with Grant Green are similar to the main album, then I really don't need those.

Now the SHM of Larry Young's Of Love And Peace seems more like my cup of tea. I'll get that instead.

Edited by erwbol

41rTB7owalL.jpg

Mine arrived yesterday too. Looking forward to giving it a hearing later this morning.

Is that the same content as the Collectors Choice CD John or is there new additional material on it? I have the CC.

I don't have the CC edition, but this has 5 tracks that are said not to have been issued before. They're very nice.

MG

On holiday way out west. Managed to get to Amoeba ,San Francisco , not much of real interest. Picked up Frank Wess - Steamin' and Willis Jackson - Shuckin' . Both trident blue label Prestige pressings. Irritated that I failed to realise that the Wess is merely a reissue of Thad Jones- After Hours, which I already own. Grrrrrh.

I ordered from Dusty Groove the 2LP "Conversations" - Roscoe Mitchell. Surprisingly low price of $16.99 for a double LP. Hmm, hope that's not reflected in the quality.

While I was at it, I got the Complete Remastered Black Saint and Soul Note box of Oliver Lake. Price on that was just an OK $34.99. Looking forward to checking that out

41rTB7owalL.jpg

Mine arrived yesterday too. Looking forward to giving it a hearing later this morning.

Is that the same content as the Collectors Choice CD John or is there new additional material on it? I have the CC.

I don't have the CC edition, but this has 5 tracks that are said not to have been issued before. They're very nice.

MG

Thanks - I'll add it to my shopping list when I'm in Tokyo !

Rodrigo Amado Motion Trio & Peter Evans - The Freedom Principle [2014, NoBusiness]

nbcd67.jpg

Kidd Jordan, Alvin Fielder, Peter Kowald - Trio and Duo in New Orleans [ 2013, NoBusiness]

Kidd-Jordan-CD-image.jpg

Farmers by Nature - Love and Ghosts [2014, AUM Fidelity]

AUM08990.jpg

Jemeel Moondoc - The Zookeeper's House [2014, Relative Pitch]

19066.jpg

Found discs 3-6 of the Nat King Cole Mosaic to add to the partial set I bought last year.

Where the hell do you go to get bits of Mosaic sets?

MG

I've seen random Mosaic disk at Half Priced Books, of all places.

It seems incredible that people should flog half a Mosaic box, whether on e-bay or Half Price Books, or anywhere. Surely the value (musical and financial) is in the set?

I've got the Joe Pass PJ Mosaic and only play the Les McCann albums that were included, but I'd never consider selling the other CDs, even thou I don't like them.

MG

Found discs 3-6 of the Nat King Cole Mosaic to add to the partial set I bought last year.

Where the hell do you go to get bits of Mosaic sets?

MG

I've seen random Mosaic disk at Half Priced Books, of all places.

It seems incredible that people should flog half a Mosaic box, whether on e-bay or Half Price Books, or anywhere. Surely the value (musical and financial) is in the set?

I've got the Joe Pass PJ Mosaic and only play the Les McCann albums that were included, but I'd never consider selling the other CDs, even thou I don't like them.

MG

Perhaps the dog ate the other discs... or the burglar dropped them in a rush to get away. There's bound to be a story.....

There were a lot of Mosaic partials in the LA area at one time that tended to crop up on ebay. The 'story' was that they were pilfered from the production plant, apparently. I believe it was mentioned back in the day either on this site or the BNBB.

Mosaic does sell partial sets and can provide a list of available discs upon request. I bought the last disc of the Bunny Berigan set before later finding the whole set. It's a nifty way to get some of an otherwise OOP set or part of a set that you want to try out.

Bought yesterday:

51li4nMxLyL._SP160,160,0,T_.jpg

Danilo Perez - Motherland: I am a recent convert of the Wayne Shorter Quartet. I listened to this album twice in a row. Perez is joined by fellow WSQ members John Patitucci and Brian Blade, as well as Chris Potter, Diego Urcola, Antonio Sanchez, Regina Carter, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Claudia Acuna and others.

61GK%2BuIb1SL._AA160_.jpg

Jeremy Steig - Howlin' for Judy: I'm only familiar with Steig by name (and 'Sure Shot'), so I'm looking forward to hearing this comp of the trio tracks from Legwork and Wayfaring Stranger.

41Oj6YQUF3L._AA160_.jpg

Ralph Towner - Time Line: I've only heard live Towner and Oregon recordings.

617BRoZWuwL._AA160_.jpg

David Murray - Fo Deuk Revue: A wide-ranging effort from Murray.

51b16R6HZjL._AA160_.jpg

Miles Davis - The Cellar Door Sessions 1970: I heard a track on the radio within the last year and loved it. I saw it in a shop for $55 yesterday. I found it online for $45, which is a steal. I can't wait to hear it.

Edited by Justin V

Braxton - Santa Cruz

Broke a bit of a personal rule to never spend more than $35 on a single CD, but at $45 I doubt I could do much better. It surely would've run close to that at Tower Records ca. 1998 anyways. Looking forward to it!!

Congratulations! That's a nice buy.

Writing a check for the 4 volumes of Eddie Prevost meets remarkable saxophonists - on matchless - Thanks to Bol on the board.

I would have sprung for that but already have the first two (Parker and Butcher). Would like the other two eventually. I'm a huge Butcher fan but nobody else seems to be, or at least not hearing about it.

Writing a check for the 4 volumes of Eddie Prevost meets remarkable saxophonists - on matchless - Thanks to Bol on the board.

I would have sprung for that but already have the first two (Parker and Butcher). Would like the other two eventually. I'm a huge Butcher fan but nobody else seems to be, or at least not hearing about it.

Getting in to more John Butcher has long been on my to do list. I've been truly knocked out by what i've heard of him, and i'm not just saying that. I had a solo disc of his, Fixations (14), which i truly loved, but it was second hand and had some horrific skip-causing scratches on it that ultimately led me to throw it out (thinking i'd get a new copy some day but never did). He'd be pretty high up on any 'guys you dig but are drastically under-represented in your collection' list for me.

Getting in to more John Butcher has long been on my to do list. I've been truly knocked out by what i've heard of him, and i'm not just saying that. I had a solo disc of his, Fixations (14), which i truly loved, but it was second hand and had some horrific skip-causing scratches on it that ultimately led me to throw it out (thinking i'd get a new copy some day but never did). He'd be pretty high up on any 'guys you dig but are drastically under-represented in your collection' list for me.

"FIXATIONS" is amazing. That's the one that got me into Butcher. I pretty much picked up all the Emanems after that. He also has several quite good ones on Clean Feed that you can usually pick up during one of the CF sales. The disc on Relative Pitch is really good, the "Way Out Northwest" group. He's amassed a fairly substantial discography, so many more to check out if so inclined. Best part about Butcher is that he keeps evolving and developing and exploring new avenues. Saw him in concert a couple of times and he impressed me, especially a show in Baltimore at High Zero Festival. For me, there are 3 great saxophonists playing right now: Evan Parker, John Butcher and Urs Leimgruber. I'll leave it there.