What music did you buy today?

tonym

I've been hot and cold with Butcher. I'm looking forward to hearing this one.

Leeway - you forgot your guy that is playing tonight with Golia and Laubrock

I certainly agree with you about Evan Parker. I havn't listened to much recent Leimgruber but I love the few CDs I have with him from the 90's.

Certainly I add Malaby & Dunmall to my great saxophonist list....

Leeway - you forgot your guy that is playing tonight with Golia and Laubrock

I certainly agree with you about Evan Parker. I havn't listened to much recent Leimgruber but I love the few CDs I have with him from the 90's.

Certainly I add Malaby & Dunmall to my great saxophonist list....

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve: Certainly I add Malaby & Dunmall to my great saxophonist list....

"Leeway - you forgot your guy that is playing tonight with Golia and Laubrock."

Do you mean Neuringer? No, I'm not ready to put him in that class, although I love his skills, fearlessness, and stone-killer instincts on the sax. In the course of a set, I think he would stand up to the three I mentioned and acquit himself quite well. But the body of work is not there yet, and that will be the ultimate test.

Thinking about this, for me the top three are easy, it's 4-10 that might prove hard.

I also be loving me some Mats Gustsfsson, Marty Ehrlich, Michael Moore, Peter Brotzmann, Toby Delius among others. So many very fine players - at this level, it also very much becomes a matter if taste.

Then the intriguing and/or frustrating voices for me that sometimes give me little and sometimes I can really hear - Tim Berne, Rodrigo Amado, Ken Vandermark, Jon Irabagon, Dave Rempis, Ingrid Laubrock, Anthony Braxton, Kidd Jordan, Oliver Lake, Rob Brown, Oscar Noriega, etc.

Lots of very advanced talented saxophonists out there, for sure

Then guys like Vinny Golia who I havn't given much time to - or younger guys like Matt Bauder, Loren Stillman, or Jason Rigby that I havn't listened to other than a clip here or there.

Crossing my fingers that I was fast enough to catch Cecil Taylor - Nailed and Looking (Berlin Version) [not sure which one!] from Reckless. I'll be simply heartbroken if they're gone. $9 & $15, respectively!!

That would be some deal! Edited by erwbol

Crossing my fingers that I was fast enough to catch Cecil Taylor - Nailed and Looking (Berlin Version) [not sure which one!] from Reckless. I'll be simply heartbroken if they're gone. $9 & $15, respectively!!

I have those: good discs! Do you have The Feel Trio box set?

I wish, though there are copies for $80 floating around the retailers so I should think about that. It's not for lack of desire!

Still haven't gotten word from Reckless. Not looking good....

You get "Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe" yet

I love writing that especially since the band is the AALY trio plus KV in its most intense state

I did, but have been doing that terrible thing wherein I've bought about 25 albums in the last month and listened to them very little. I need to sit down and go through them and stop buying!

We have all been there. I just received the Blue Notes box, Con Affetto and the Hemingway trio disc with the Cecil 1956-62 bargain box, the 1965 Jimmy Giuffre concert, Very Urgent and Snurdy McGurdy on the way.

And maybe the 4 volumes of Remarkable Saxophonists with Eddie Prevost on matchless once the mail works!!!

Fabuloso buy today!

On Saturday, I went into the post office and was behind a guy posting what looked like 12" LPs (what else could look like an LP? I ask myself), so I asked him if he sold LPs.

Yes, he did, so I asked him to hang on outside the post office for a chat. He gets stuff from car boot sales, mainly. He had some jazz though mainly he sells rock, which is the #1 market around these parts. So he lives on the council estate the other side of the graveyard from us. I said I'd be along when we got a sunny afternoon.

That was this afternoon. As expected, there was lots of uninteresting stuff. but I got this little lot.

R-150-3199287-1320168706.jpeg

Various artists - African sounds for Mandela - TS Afrika

muugoUyExgRw4HAfGvsnIgw.jpg

Bennie Moten's Kansas Cith Orchestra 1923-1925 - OkeH (Parlophone UK 1971 issue)

earlhines379138.jpg

Earl Hines - Tea for two - Black Lion (Audio Fidelity USA) (I got the other one, 'Tour de force', a couple of years ago and everyone here said I should get this, so I did.)

$_35.JPG

Earl Hines & Stephane Grappelli - The giants - Black Lion

The-Crusaders-Southern-Comfort-478055.jp

Jazz Crusaders - Southern comfort - Blue Thumb (Movieplay, Portugal) (Never seen a Portuguese pressing of anything before!)

All are in good nick. 'Tea for two' is the most pristine LP I've seen in my life, new or second hand. I gather that Audio Fidelity pressings were supposed to be pretty smart.

OK, that lot - 5 albums, six records - cost me SEVEN POUNDS!!!!!!

He's going to give me a bell if he gets any more jazz. Hope he doesn't learn about the prices of jazz albums before that happens :D.

MG