What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charles Mingus - The Jazz Workshop Concerts 1964-65 (Mosaic #253)

Mosaic has been running a "mini-sale", but after some thought I preferred the Mingus or Clifford Jordan at full price to the sale items. Came down to Mingus. Partially funded by birthday present gift card.

Just ordered the Universal Italy reissue of the Ellington Complete Brunswick And Vocalion Recordings 1926-1931. Somehow i'd missed this set. I'm freaking stoked to be getting it.

Fantastic set. Desert island material for me.

:tup I'm only on early listens but i'm VERY happy with the music on this set. I know i'm late to the party but, damn, better late than never and this is an absolutely brilliant set. There's so much Ellington out there that it can be numbing (as in "Early Ellington? Add it to the pile of the 150 other Ellington albums/sets that i need to check out. Oh, it's very well regarded? Add it to the pile of the 150 other Ellington albums/sets that i need to check out that are very well regarded") but yeah, this set is a real standout. 

91bWE8x8fqL._SL1500_.jpg

Jeff Crompton - Uncommon Goals

Picked up this gem today while on lunch break. $6.50 well spent. That name seems awful familiar..... 

OMG!

I remember that guy.

All I can say at this point, many years later, is that I meant well, musically. There are a few tracks that don't make make me cringe. I still like "Ivory Burn."

And I guess it's notable that I still have the only cover version of Tristano's "Turkish Mambo," as far as I know.

But, yeah, I'm cringing, at least a little bit. But I'm glad you like it.

91bWE8x8fqL._SL1500_.jpg

Picked up this gem today while on lunch break. $6.50 well spent. That name seems awful familiar..... 

OMG!

I remember that guy.

All I can say at this point, many years later, is that I meant well, musically. There are a few tracks that don't make make me cringe. I still like "Ivory Burn."

And I guess it's notable that I still have the only cover version of Tristano's "Turkish Mambo," as far as I know.

haha, I think it's an enjoyable a respectable release. A few tracks sound dated (Geomusic 4006) but for the time I understand it. King Oliver in Savannah and  Falling got multiple listens. Your chops are sting thoughout. I actually bought it on a whim thinking it might be your album but really wasn't sure. Definitely money well spent. 

91bWE8x8fqL._SL1500_.jpg

OMG!

I remember that guy.

haha, I think it's an enjoyable a respectable release. A few tracks sound dated (Geomusic 4006) but for the time I understand it. King Oliver in Savannah and  Falling got multiple listens. Your chops are sting thoughout. I actually bought it on a whim thinking it might be your album but really wasn't sure. Definitely money well spent. 

Well, thanks. I think a lot of musicians, when they get older, are slightly horrified by their early efforts.

If you like "King Oliver in Savannah," you might be interested to know that a much better version of it is coming out in a few months. I'm putting out a 7" vinyl EP and download of that tune and another which has never had a good recording. It's just me on multiple saxes and clarinets. I like it. Maybe in 25 more years it will make me cringe, but I don't think so.

Just ordered the Universal Italy reissue of the Ellington Complete Brunswick And Vocalion Recordings 1926-1931. Somehow i'd missed this set. I'm freaking stoked to be getting it.

Fantastic set. Desert island material for me.

:tup I'm only on early listens but i'm VERY happy with the music on this set. I know i'm late to the party but, damn, better late than never and this is an absolutely brilliant set. There's so much Ellington out there that it can be numbing (as in "Early Ellington? Add it to the pile of the 150 other Ellington albums/sets that i need to check out. Oh, it's very well regarded? Add it to the pile of the 150 other Ellington albums/sets that i need to check out that are very well regarded") but yeah, this set is a real standout. 

a great set , the transfers are perfect , much more surface noise (than some sets ) which preserves much of the vibrancy of these recordings . An excellent package. I'd love to see authorised releases of  Ellington's other early sides on Cameo etc .

If you like "King Oliver in Savannah," you might be interested to know that a much better version of it is coming out in a few months. I'm putting out a 7" vinyl EP and download of that tune and another which has never had a good recording. It's just me on multiple saxes and clarinets. I like it. Maybe in 25 more years it will make me cringe, but I don't think so.

Definitely interested in the 7"