What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't miss Flight for Four. Always stunned by the sound and performance every time I listen. The sound compared to the recent re-issue of Self Determination Music (very unfortunately on a different label) is on another level. All props to International Phonograph. Whatever Jonathan does, he does it as good as anyone else. The only recordings of that era that compare sound wise are Nessa recordings. Plus as I've mentioned before as much as I adore Carter's clarinet, I am stunned by his earlier saxophone playing. 

Holiday order placed today - whittled it down to the following. I hated leaving off a couple of Rodrigo Amado discs (waiting on the new Not Two recording "This is Our Language" to come down in price by a few $$$) plus I again put off an expensive used copy of Ken Vandermark's Territory Band's "A New Horse for The White House". I still really want to hear that set of studio and live versions of KV large band compositions - the previous recording, "Company Switch" is very very good. But $40 for a 2 CD set is still a bit too much.

What I did order is:

Peter Brotzmann: 3 Nights in Oslo - 5 CD set

John Butcher-Torsten Muller-Dylan Van Der Schyff: The White Spot (the other disc by this trio is phenomenal)

Duke Ellington: Blues in Orbit

Tomeka Reid Quartet including Mary Halvorson (on Thirsty Ear)

Globe Unity Orchestra: 40 Years

Evan Parker Steve Beresford John Edwards Louis Moholo-Moholo: Naan Tso

Assif Tsahar: Deals and Ideals with Peter Kowald & Rashied Ali

Fire Orchestra: Enter and Exit (figured get 'em both!!)

David S Ware: Birth of a Being - recent reissue on AUM of the formerly rare Hat Hut LP

Edited by Steve Reynolds

That's a nice package of records Steve! That David S Ware is a record I also want to buy soon.

For me it's a modest holiday purchase. Got one vinyl and one album that where both long on the wishlist.

RED Trio + John Butcher ‎– Empire [2011, NoBusiness, vinyl]
R-3014914-1311785221.jpeg.jpg

Sam Rivers - Contours [Blue Note, SHM edition]
R-3400188-1328918594.jpeg.jpg

91R7LZSYVfL._SL1500_.jpg

This arrived in the mail today.  I ordered it from Amazon last week when they had it fairly cheap.  I expected it to be a chunky kind of boxed set, so this is already better than I expected.  The only albums contained in here that I know I already had are Bird Symbols and A Cozy Conception of Carmen.  Will have to check out this music after Christmas.

Name/Title_______________________________Format__Price____Quantity___Total
Bartok/Busoni/Messiaen/Stravinsky ________ LP     4.99          1     
  Three Etudes Op 18 Sz 72/Sechs Kurze Stucke Zur Pflege Des Polyphonen 
Spiels/Quatre Etudes De Rythme/Four Etudes Op 7 -- Paul Jacobs
  Item: 669559, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Cover has a stain on one 
corner.)

Herbie Mann ______________________________ LP     0.99          1     
  Glory Of Love
  Item: 7752, Condition: Very Good-

Nielsen __________________________________ LP     3.99          1     
  Symphony No 5 Op 50/Saga Drom Op 39 -- Jascha Horenstein/New 
Philharmonia Orchestra
  Item: 661903, Condition: Near Mint-

On 20 December 2015 at 7:12 AM, duaneiac said:

91R7LZSYVfL._SL1500_.jpg

This arrived in the mail today.  I ordered it from Amazon last week when they had it fairly cheap.  I expected it to be a chunky kind of boxed set, so this is already better than I expected.  The only albums contained in here that I know I already had are Bird Symbols and A Cozy Conception of Carmen.  Will have to check out this music after Christmas.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on sound quality for the set - vinyl rip?

I don't have this set but but a friend does.  I was impressed by the presentation but IIRC the notes didn't get much further than printing the lineups.  On the couple of discs I heard there were no significant sound problems but I wasn't listening that intently.  I'd say buy with confidence if the price is reasonable.

Amazon UK have some useful reviews.

Edited by JohnS

Arvo Part ________________________________ CD     3.99          1     
  Lamentate/Da Pacem Domine -- Hilliard Ensemble/Alexei Lubimov/Andrey 
Boreyko/SWR Stuttgart Radio Symphony
  Item: 735853, Condition: Used (NOTE: Barcode has a cutout hole.)

Pigmeat Markham __________________________ LP     2.99          1     
  Tune Me In
  Item: 46380, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Blue label pressing.)

Schoenberg _______________________________ LP     9.99          1     
  Verklarte Nacht/Transfigured Night/String Quartet No 2 -- Ramor 
Quartet
  Item: 583032, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Cover has a library stamp, 
but is otherwise in great shape!)

Got a little money for Xmas today and decided to get some things on LP I have only on CD right now. . . www.dustygroove.com got a visit; prices were great. I love Jarrett on LP, especially since I added the Groovetracer Reference sub-platter and delrin platter to the RP3, it is really stable speed-wise now. And my copy of Santana III needs to go away, really worn.

Here is your completed order:
Keith Jarrett ____________________________ LP    
  Concerts (3LP set)
  Item: 655745, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Includes book!  Box has two split corners.)

Eyes Of The Heart
  Item: 552851, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Cover has some edge wear and a gold promo stamp.)

GI Gurdjieff -- Sacred Hymns
  Item: 552812, Condition: Near Mint-

Invocations -- The Moth & The Flame
  Item: 655175, Condition: Near Mint-

Keith Jarrett with Charlie Haden & Jan Gar LP    
  Arbour Zena
  Item: 578679, Condition: Near Mint-

Santana __________________________________  LP
  Santana III
  Item: 378525, Condition: Very Good+

Name/Title_______________________________Format______Quantity___
Kahil El' Zabar __________________________ CD               1     

Alika Rising -- Kahil El' Zabar's Ritual Trio At Leverkusener Jazztage
  Item: 779184, New Copy

Sessions/Wolpe ___________________________ CD               1     

Violin Concerto/Symphony -- Paul Zukofsky/Schuller/Orchestre 
Philharmonique De L'Office De La Radio Diffusion Television 
Francaise/Westburg/
  Item: 781382, Condition: Used (NOTE: Out of print.)

Piston/Ives/Carpenter ____________________ LP             1     

Concertino For Piano & Chamber Orchestra/Forth Of July/Concertino For 
Piano & Orchestra -- Marjorie Mitchell/Strickland/Goteborg Symphony
  Item: 773557, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Stereo pressing.  Cover has 
some light ringwear and light edge wear.)

On 12/21/2015 at 3:15 PM, sidewinder said:

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on sound quality for the set - vinyl rip?

So far I have listened to two discs from the set.  While I don't think the contents of these discs were ripped from vinyl, it appears the audio quality varies greatly depending on the original recordings.  I listened to Vol. 10 first, which has Red Norvo's Pretty Is The Only Way To Fly (seemed to have a little occasional distortion which, for a ll I know, may be on the original recording) and Teddy Wilson's On Tour With Teddy Wilson And His Trio (simply horrible audio; I had to quit listening after three tracks it was so bad, but if it was truly a "live" recording, perhaps it was done on some primitive  tape device.  It never should have been released.).  Then I listened to Vol. 4 which has two Art Pepper albums -- both of those sounded perfectly acceptable.

Today I went to Half-Price Books to take advantage of their current 20% off sale.  I managed to find the Bing Crosby 7 CD Mosaic set in excellent condition for a pretty decent price.  The only thing is it has a HPB price sticker on it and I'm a little worried about trying to peel that off without damaging the cover photo of the Mosaic box.  Has any one else had to do that and if so, did you manage it successfully?

(PS for folks in the SF bay area -- the Berkeley HPB where I got this also had the Anthony Braxton Mosaic set if any one is interested.)

Edited by duaneiac

Listening to Vol. 9 of the Charlie Parker Records boxed set.  This has the albums El Tigre by Barney Kessel (clearly a needle-drop from a rather scratchy album) and the Var. Artists album, Best Plucking In Town, on which the track "Blues For A Stripper" by Mundell Lowe has an inexplicable major drop in audio volume for several seconds in the middle of it.

Edited by duaneiac

First order of the new year.  All five CDs were reissued in November/December 2015 in Japan:

Richie Beirach - Ballads 
Richie Beirach - Ballads II

51Zs-JBtXiL._SX300_.jpg  41Y%2BzsxG3wL._SX300_.jpg

Jim Hall - Live in Tokyo
Jim Hall - Jazz Impressions of Japan

51%2BFt0CfbXL._SX300_.jpg  51pyAOezsKL._SX300_.jpg

Roland Hanna with George Mraz - 24 Preludes 

51mlVQKXg5L._SX300_.jpg

I am super-stoked about FINALLY hearing this music. I've wanted to hear these recordings for a LONG TIME -- since Richie Beirach, Jim Hall, and Roland Hanna are some of my all-time favorite musicians. :g

Edited by HutchFan

On 20.11.2015 at 8:30 PM, HutchFan said:

Found some interesting vinyl at Wuxtry today...

ChicoFreeman_SpiritSens.jpg

Chico Freeman - Spirit Sensitive (India Navigation, 1979)
Looking forward to hearing this one.

Bought this - like fellow boardmember "sidewinder" - as new release and always cherished both Freeman`s beautiful tenorsax sound and the simply superb rhythm section ....

14 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Bought this - like fellow boardmember "sidewinder" - as new release and always cherished both Freeman`s beautiful tenorsax sound and the simply superb rhythm section ....

That post has now got me searching out for my vinyl..

Thanks JohnS and duaneiac for the comments on the Charlie Parker Records set.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

I've enjoyed it too. Spirit Sensitive is an excellent session. And I think Freeman's The Outside Within is even better. :tup:) 

Too bad Mosaic is no longer releasing "Select" sets. I think Chico Freeman's India Navigation recordings would have made a great one.

28 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've enjoyed it too. Spirit Sensitive is an excellent session. And I think Freeman's The Outside Within is even better. :tup:) 

Too bad Mosaic is no longer releasing "Select" sets. I think Chico Freeman's India Navigation recordings would have made a great one.

Do like both recordings a lot and would appreciate a quality CD reissue programm too.....