What music did you buy today?

tonym

On 5/30/2016 at 5:52 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

When ready for the ultimate, Dick's Picks 4 (2/13 & 2/14/70)

buy 3 CD Fillmore West 1969. As good as it gets before the Workingman Dead and American Beauty songs come forth. Energy level from an alternate universe.

then although not in great sound DP 8, Harpur College 5/2/70. 

It's too bad so many of these releases are plagued with marathon renditions of Turn On Your Lovelight. Weir's vocals are horrendous. I don't mind him singing his own songs, but he cannot sing blues, vintage rock n roll, or other material that requires any kind of range of expression, because he has none.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DP 4 (2/13 & 2/14/70) is worth whatever you have to pay despite the 30:27 Lovelight which is also not a huge draw for me. 

The only Weir sung song of the sort you mention that you would deal with on this release is a 9:00 Dancing in the Streets but the short but amazing jam in the middle might make you forget about his singing. (The longer version on DP 8 Harpur's College has a legendary jam that I would endure the worst Weir singing every week of my life in order to hear the jam that follows!!!!)

The rest of the music is as strong as anything I've heard from the group including the sometimes rough newer shorter tunes on disc 1. As great as the Dark Star > That's it for the Other One (you can skip the Lovelight that completed the evening of 2/13), disc 3 which is the sequence of Alligator through We Bid You Goodnight would be simply ultimate Dead if the drum track was shorter. BEST Caution ever, which follows BEST Not Fade Away I've ever heard (group singing - Bobby can't screw this up - the jam is monsterous) which segues into the wonderous Mason's Children before those ominous Caution chords appear. 

Gonna play this tomorrow morning on the way to work to put me in a Friday morning mood!!

Edited by Steve Reynolds

1 hour ago, StarThrower said:

I picked up Anthem Of The Sun for less than 5 bucks, and it includes Alligator/Caution/Feedback recorded live at the Shrine '68 for bonus tracks.

I think I might give those bonus tracks another spin tomorrow. I find the various performances of Caution vary widely. Not sure I remember how strong these are. I do know the 1970 era bonus tracks on Workingmans Dead & American Beauty are all very strong as expected. The Mason's Children in the former is a corker.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

MI0002456992.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I've been listening to Jazz Batá on YouTube for the last few days. Today, I lucked out and found the actual disc in a local shop. The CD includes the entire '72 album plus 5 of 6 tracks from another Valdés LP, Tema de Chaka, from '82.

It was really inexpensive too. Lucky day. :D

Edited by HutchFan

Life is short / Genius rare / When you find it / Leave nowt to spare...

The Kirkwood Bros. are the genuine article.  This rounds out my collection of all things Puppets and related KB releases.

meatpuppets-out.jpg T765949927251.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Duke EllingtonThe Complete Duke Ellington 1947-1952 [revised edition, 1989] (Columbia / Sony Music (France))

058789.jpg

I've been looking for this set for a while and found an inexpensive copy from a marketplace seller on UK Amazon.

Edited by alankin

Spent today in London so was able to check out Rays Jazz, Fopp etc.

From Rays I picked Gerald Wilson's 'Legacy' for half price and the Verve 2CD 'More Than Mambo' in the 'Take 2' series from the 90s, which eluded me until now.

Fopp delivered the Blakey 'Jazz Messengers' Impulse for £3 :).

Some of the prices in Rays were optimistic. £300 for a s/h Miles Plugged Nickel CD set ! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Wolfgang's has the Jazz Record Mart stock listed (well, some portion of it):

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/sellers/jazz-record-mart/608.html

Just received JR Monterose Quartet, Lush Life (Progressive)  

I'd hesitate to recommend them at least for their shipping practices. The LP plus two CDs got me a $9.50 charge for 'standard' shipping which turned out to be Media Mail. Not only do they not make it clear that you get Media Mail (the alternatives are two-day or one day options) but jeez, same three items from the Bastards would be less than $9.50 and that would be for Priority Mail.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I've been thinking about getting that record, Dan.  When you've had an opportunity to give it a listen, I'd love to hear what you think of it. 

BTW recently reissued as "J.R Monterose - Welcome Back" in Japan with the cover art used for the Progressive/Teichiku release in Japan in 1979 ....