tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yep. Same record. ;) 

Are you familiar with it, soulpope?

It is quite some time ago I was listening to this, but was not overly impressed (unfortunately no detailed memories traceable) ....

Edited by soulpope

Stopped by old friends in Lüneburg on our way to the North Eastern German coast and stepped into some antiquarian book and record shop before having dinner at a fine Persian restaurant - bought a German LP from 1975 reissuing some Mat Mathews tracks originally released on Brunswick 78's and EPs:

R-5651584-1398978216-3681.png.jpg

Herbie Mann, Dick Katz, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke, Max Wayne, Walter Bolden are the sidemen. AFAIK know this LP was a rare reissue - there was a British LP that did not include as many tracks. Someone should have made a CD with Mathews' comlete Brunswick tracks - there are only six more than on this LP.

Will have to wail until I get back home in mid-August before I can give it a listen ... :(

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ordered these LPs from a vendor on discogs.  All LPs in VG+ or better condition. Total outlay $35 -- and that includes shipping. :g 

Bill Barron - Jazz Caper (Muse) 
Features a killer lineup. Along with brother Kenny, the band consists of Jimmy Owens, Buster Williams and Ed Blackwell.

Earl Hines - The Quintessential Recording Session (Chiaroscuro)
I already have Quintessential, Continued. Looking forward to hearing the sister record. 

Jasmine - Self-Titled (West 54)
Been listening to this rare Latin-fusion band via YT and decided to spring for the whole enchilada. With Bill O'Connell, Steve Berrios, et al.

New York Jazz Quartet - Blues For Sarka (Inner City)
I collect everything led or co-led by Sir Roland. The music's already in my collection, but I'm upgrading from MP3s to vinyl.

Bobby Shew - Outstanding in His Field (Inner City)
Taking a flyer on this one, never heard any of it. Interesting line-up with Bill Mays, Bob Magnusson, et al.

McCoy Tyner - The Greeting (Milestone)
McCoy with George Adams. What's not to like?!?!

Joe Venuti & Dave McKenna - Alone at the Palace (Chiaroscuro)
I love Venuti's duo album with Marian McPartland. Thought I'd give this one a try.

Jessica Williams - Portraits (Adelphi)
An early, 2-LP set of solo recordings.

Jessica Williams - Nothin' But the Truth (BlackHawk)
A trio set from the 80s. Herb Wong's BlackHawk label put out some terrific music back in the day. Another enticement: the LP is still sealed. 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Ordered these LPs from a vendor on discogs.  All LPs in VG+ or better condition. Total outlay $35 -- and that includes shipping. :g 

Features a killer lineup. Along with brother Kenny, the band consists of Jimmy Owens, Buster Williams and Ed Blackwell.

Superb platter .... as are both other Bill Barron Muse recordings - strongly recommended ....

Earl Hines - The Quintessential Recording Session (Chiaroscuro)
I already have Quintessential, Continued. Looking forward to hearing the sister record. 

Jasmine - Self-Titled (West 54)
Been listening to this rare Latin-fusion band via YT and decided to spring for the whole enchilada. With Bill O'Connell, Steve Berrios, et al.

New York Jazz Quartet - Blues For Sarka (Inner City)
I collect everything led or co-led by Sir Roland. The music's already in my collection, but I'm upgrading from MP3s to vinyl.

Bobby Shew - Outstanding in His Field (Inner City)
Taking a flyer on this one, never heard any of it. Interesting line-up with Bill Mays, Bob Magnusson, et al.

McCoy Tyner - The Greeting (Milestone)
McCoy with George Adams. What's not to like?!?!

Joe Venuti & Dave McKenna - Alone at the Palace (Chiaroscuro)
I love Venuti's duo album with Marian McPartland. Thought I'd give this one a try.

Jessica Williams - Portraits (Adelphi)
An early, 2-LP set of solo recordings.

A trio set from the 80s. Herb Wong's BlackHawk label put out some terrific music back in the day. Another enticement: the LP is still sealed. 

The Hines is a great pickup. And if you haven't already, you should check out Hines/Venuti on Chiaroscuro.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I have a German pressing by Bellaphon, 'West GERMANY'!

1 hour ago, optatio said:

I have a German pressing by Bellaphon, 'West GERMANY'!

Yeah, I have a few imports by Bellaphon with those markings too.

It's odd to see "West Germany," but the Cold War wasn't that long ago -- at least for someone my age. ;) (I'm 48.) My wife-to-be was in West Germany visiting relatives in 1990 when Germany was reunified.  And all that seems like just "a few years" ago. . .

Tempus fugit, eh?

By the way, what do you think of Nothin' But the Truth, optatio? Is it a good record? :) 

Edited by HutchFan

Yeah, I have a few imports by Bellaphon with those markings too.

It's odd to see "West Germany," but the Cold War wasn't that long ago -- at least for someone my age. ;) (I'm 48.) My wife-to-be was in West Germany visiting relatives in 1990 when Germany was reunified.  And all that seems like just "a few years" ago. . .

Tempus fugit, eh?

By the way, what do you think of Nothin' But the Truth, optatio? Is it a good record? :) 

This LP has been a recommendation by Scott Yanow as 'collector´s item' – I have to hear again.

I love Nothin' But The Truth.  Perhaps there's a sentimental "boost", having spent my formative years listening to Jessica and Bud Spangler.  But I do think it's a good one.  A few years ago, I went to hear Hal Stein who opened with the title tune.  We had a nice chat about the recording.  Maybe John Wiitala was the link to Stein; he played on Stein's Spirit album.

Edited by BeBop

• 3 weeks later...

I've definitely slowed down on the music acquisition front.  I did recently pick up a rock CD - Day for Night by The Tragically Hip, and I just ordered Bill Evans's The Bill Evans Album (Columbia).  This was mostly since it was the best jazz album I found under $7 (with only moderate searching) to get over the free shipping minimum.

In the age of Spotify my CD buying has dwindled to gems formerly available on Spotify, but now disappeared from their selections. In that category are these which should be arriving anytime now:

Charlie+Parker+Sampler+-+The+Complete+Li

MI0001940606.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

P.S. Amazon has returned my payment on the first of these. It's looking as if Spotify drops items when they're no longer available on CD. But the Barcelonans are still there with this:

parker_complete_savoy_live_box.jpg

Edited by BillF

Earlier today, I picked up a still-sealed copy of Bunky Green's Places We've Never Been (Vanguard, 1979).

R-6141406-1421578457-3137.jpeg.jpg

I already know & love this music -- but I've only heard it as MP3 downloads.

Now, I'm looking forward to hearing it in full, unsullied-vinyl fidelity. :g

Edited by HutchFan

Earlier today, I picked up a still-sealed copy of Bunky Green's Places We've Never Been (Vanguard, 1979).

R-4837172-1377038306-6214.jpeg.jpg

I already know & love this music -- but I've only heard it as MP3 downloads.

Now, I'm looking forward to hearing it in full, unsullied-vinyl fidelity. :g

Congrats .... excellent find indeed ....

Went to a Half-Price Books store today to take advantage of their Labor Day sale.  There I found a couple of used LPs:

R-3839787-1348900451-6347.jpeg.jpg

The Old Dude & The Fundance Kid -- Budd Johnson & Phil Woods (with Richard Wyands, George Duvivier and Bill Goodwin), a 1984 album and, according to the liner notes, Budd Johnson's final recording session as he died in Oct. of that year.

743680.jpg

And a couple of new CD items

MI0000687427.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

3494793970_f183dc52dd_o.jpg

But I also stopped by a nearby Rasputin's store on the way and picked up a handful of used CDs:

gnu-high1.jpg?w=764

500x500.jpg

90204662326f.jpg

vicksburg_293x293.jpg

MI0001391581.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

51uwC2stG%2BL.jpg

MI0002773475.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

117903122.jpg

Back.jpg

I've been on an Art Song/Lied kick for the last few days, so I decided to order these two Elly Ameling CDs:

41AC5RT6K9L.jpg  41Z3DPXKRVL.jpg

The Early Recordings, Vols. 3 & 4 (RCA, originally released on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi)
Vol. 3 features lieder by Brahms & Schumann, and Vol. 4 has lieder by Schubert & (more from) Schumann.

I'm particularly looking forward to hearing the Brahms.