What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

Does anyone know why Subject to Change was never released on cd?  It's not even available to download despite the fact that the two other About Time releases are.

I'm sure that the subject (ahem) came up either here or on the AAJ board when ATR used to post. I honestly can't remember what the reason was but i don't think it was particularly complicated; from memory he just hadn't done it at the time and the moment had passed. I think i suggested it in the 'future JHL reissue suggestions' thread. 

Kind of frustrating. Aside from the obscure Live at Koncepts and Pop Start the Tape Stop, Subject to Change is the only release under Threadgill's name that i don't have. 

Now purchasing:

On a bit of a Jimmy Giuffre kick at the moment, filling a few gaps (also at the expense of the new Monk which i will have to get at some point):

- The Music Man 

- The Western Suite

- Bremen & Stuttgart 1961 (Emanem reissue from last year)

I used to have a rip (from a library copy) of Stuttgart (Emphasis) way back in the day. It was my intro to Giuffre and revisiting it on Spotify recently brought it all back. The versions on the ECM reissue of Fusion and Thesis (1961) are excellent but they were never quite the same for me (always sounded like alternates to what i had first heard). Can't wait to have these performances back in my collection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to a local store and got all of this for about $31 after tax.  Many of the albums were albums I've meant to check out for a while, and all but one album were $4 or less (the Green/Clark was $6).  Heck, the Baker album was the double-disc version and was only $3.  I can't believe my haul.

51lRi9eV21L._SS500.jpg

61%2BRG6biO2L._SS500.jpg

41Y1GA2CTDL._SY400_.jpg

51uOU89X1yL._SS500.jpg

51bStYkHQSL._SY400_.jpg

51grHBP3hWL._SS500.jpg

51tN7EXe-gL._SS500.jpg

51UynGnTodL._SS500.jpg

41waZWN4nAL._SY400_.jpg

61jgicvw01L._SY400_.jpg

hqdefault.jpgMI0002110034.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

NA5029.jpg

In the last few years I've begun to wonder about the sociocultural influences that shaped my early predilection for a (predominantly) racially homogenous universe of musical artists.  Challenging the established frontiers of those forces is yielding edifying dividends.

• 2 weeks later...

Used vinyl order from a Discogs vendor:
Larry Coryell/Philip Catherine - Twin House (Elektra)
Red Garland - Equinox (Galaxy)
Jay Hoggard - Little Tiger (Muse)
The Jazztet - Real Time (Contemporary)
Michel Legrand - Michel Legrand & Friends (RCA/Gryphon) - with Phil Woods, Randy Brecker
Bob Mover - S/T (Vanguard)
Michel Petrucciani/Ron McClure - Cold Blues (Owl)
Shorty Rogers - Short Stops (RCA Bluebird, 2 LPs)
John Scofield - Bar Talk (Arista Novus)
Ira Sullivan - Does It All (Muse)
Lucky Thompson - S/T (Inner City) - with Martial Solal
Ben Webster - Atmosphere for Lovers & Thieves (Black Lion)
Teddy Wilson - Striding Toward Fats (Black Lion)
Lester Young - Lester Swings (Verve, 2 LPs) - Compilation from '45 to '51

All good deals. About $2.25 per LP on average. 

Recent buys of the Jazz kind:

Jaimie Branch: Fly or Die / first listen extraordinary 35 minute suite

Chicago/London Underground: A Night Walking Through Mirrors - Lordy Lordy 

Nu Band: Live in Geneva (quartet with Mark Whitecage, Thomas Heberer, Joe Fonda & Lou Grassi) Clifford was at their fine show earlier this year in NYC. Look forward to listening to this soon. On Not Two records 

City Fall: live at Cafe Oto: Evan Parker with Trzaska, Edwards & Sanders 

Last Seen Headed: Joelle Leandre with Francois Houle & Raymond Strid - as great as the earlier 9 Moments 

Edward Ricart Quartet + Paul Dunmall: Chamaeleon

BassDrumBone: The Long Road

Red Trio + John Butcher: Summer Skyshift - extraordinary 

plus a whole slew of recordings featuring Hamid Drake all care of Hamid:)

On 27/05/2017 at 2:18 AM, xybert said:

Kind of frustrating. Aside from the obscure Live at Koncepts and Pop Start the Tape Stop, Subject to Change is the only release under Threadgill's name that i don't have. 

Sold my copy of Koncepts recently - if I'd known you wanted it I'd have given you it. It is only 'of interest' so don't pay too much. 

On 17/07/2017 at 8:58 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Chicago/London Underground: A Night Walking Through Mirrors - Lordy Lordy 

can you hear me clapping? It was a "Lordy Lordy" sort of evening. Glad the recording gets that across. I often feel reluctant about buying recordings of concerts that I've really enjoyed so I've not yet bought it

A copy of the Branch is on its way to me. Can't wait. I've been keeping an eye out for her since she recorded with Tim daisy ages ago

8 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Sold my copy of Koncepts recently - if I'd known you wanted it I'd have given you it. It is only 'of interest' so don't pay too much. 

You'd've had a bidding war :) It's the only Threadgill I've yet to get

Some LPs I found at Amoeba today:

R-2776704-1300550448.jpeg.jpg

R-10135451-1492252494-2523.jpeg.jpg

A 1977 recording with Hank Jones, Bucky Pizzarelli, George Duvivier, Grady Tate & Candido.

5340519.jpg

R-3068566-1347377054-4348.jpeg.jpg

From 1978, with the gentlemen of the title being Mr. Phillips and Mr. Herman.

roger-kellaway-cello-quartet-come-to-the

R-4975732-1381093622-9851.jpeg.jpg

A radio broadcast of a Goodman sextet (including Doc Cheatham, Ross Tompkins and Mousie Alexander) from the Tropicana Hotel on New Year's Eve of 1966.

Wynton Kelly Trio & Wes Montgomery  - Smokin' In Seattle Resonance 1966
Sonny Rollins / Horace Silver - Radio Studio Zurich, March 5, 1959 TCB 1959
The Sackville All Stars - A Tribute To Louis Armstrong Sackville 1988
Teddy Wilson - Alone Storyville 1983
Louis Armstrong - The Standard Oil Sessions Dot Time 1950
Bill Evans - On A Monday Evening Fantasy 1976
Teddy Wilson - Live At The King Of France Tavern Lisem 1978
John Coltrane/Don Cherry - The Avant Garde Atlantic/Essential Jazz Classics 1960
Sonny Rollins At Music Inn / Teddy Edwards At Falcon's Lair With Joe Castro MetroJazz 1958-59
Teddy Wilson - Shades Of Blue Solo Art 1967
Bill Evans - Some Other Time. The Lost Session At The Black Forest Resonance 1968
John-Erik Kellso & The Earregulars - In The Land Of Beginning Again Jazzology 2015
Mads Vinding Trio - Yesterdays Stunt Records 1997
Thelonious Monk - Les Liasons Dangereuses 1960 Saga 1959

I just got in a fairly rare CD - one that I had never heard or seen before I tripped on it during an "Eric Alexander" search on eBay - Dave O'Higgins & Eric Alexander "The Devil's Interval" on the JVG Sessions label. It seems to be only available from the UK and not all of the sellers will ship to the US. They made another recording called "Sketchbook" that seems more readily available. I will have to find that one.

This is an excellent disc if you're into tenors going head to head. I am enjoying it a lot. It's my kind of Jazz.

BTW, if You Tube audio floats your boat, it's all there. I listened to a lot of this on You Tube before I decided to hunt down the CD although I doubt that this is what most You Tube listeners do. :)

22 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

BTW, if You Tube audio floats your boat, it's all there. I listened to a lot of this on You Tube before I decided to hunt down the CD although I doubt that this is what most You Tube listeners do. :)

I'm with you, Kevin. Maybe we're dinosaurs -- but I still want the thing I can hold in my hands. ;) 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I'm with you, Kevin. Maybe we're dinosaurs -- but I still want the thing I can hold in my hands. ;) 

Me three !

Talking of Dave O'Higgins - saw him a few weeks ago in Darius Brubeck's group. Very impressive !

Edited by sidewinder

On 7/31/2017 at 8:33 PM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I just got in a fairly rare CD - one that I had never heard or seen before I tripped on it during an "Eric Alexander" search on eBay - Dave O'Higgins & Eric Alexander "The Devil's Interval" on the JVG Sessions label. It seems to be only available from the UK and not all of the sellers will ship to the US. They made another recording called "Sketchbook" that seems more readily available. I will have to find that one.

This is an excellent disc if you're into tenors going head to head. I am enjoying it a lot. It's my kind of Jazz.

I saw the group play - in Leeds, England - and they were really something.  As you say, both the albums they made are excellent. Here's a clip from one of their British tours, with Eric in steamin' form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkaj6QjQrAw